8th Degree BB Ninjutsu?

phatbway

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK, I must warn you I know NOTHING about Ninjutsu, so here goes. This 16 yr. old boy joined our TKD/HKD club and claim he is an 8th degree BB in Ninjutsu?????? He said he started since age 6. So he's been at it for 10 years.
how do your stuff work? how is that possible?

thanks for your response in advance.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He does not have an 8th degree in any legitimate system.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should congratulate him on his great accomplishment and then tell him that there are a ton of people who would like to "congratulate" him here. Encourage him to sign up!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ultimate newbie here, but I guess no. I just reviewed the genbukan rules, guidelines and general information last weekend.
If it was important enough for them to print out the whole package for every student, it is probably a good idea to read it front to back.

One of the things I remember is that The highest level you can achieve as a teen is Shodan. You simply have to learn other things like e.g bojutsu until you are old enough to progress beyond Shodan.
So unless he passed level 2-8 within a year of turning 16...

I don't know which X-kan the boy is enrolled in, so it might be different, but even then I assume they don't hand out high level black belts to a kid.

Another limitation is that there has to be a number of years between next dan level. I don't have the book at hand atm, but at the higher levels it is a couple of years. Other organizations could be different, but even assuming that you can rise one level per year, he'd have to have gotten his Shodan at 8 years old.

Of course it could be a non traditional school, but even in those I think it would be unlikely to have a 16 year old 8th dan.

So despite my newbieness in ninpo, I am inclined to say he simply cannot be an 8th dan. I have been known to be wrong though. Especially since the day I became a married man :)

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
He does not have an 8th degree in any legitimate system.

Agreed, he does not have a belt in any legitimate system. That being said, there are tons of "systems" that have been created by loose nuts so who knows.
Course, there's always the propensity of teenagers to strech the truth.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Think about it he is an 8th dan.

Most do not obtain that level until in their later years after more than the training that the person in question is alive.

But your rank is only as good as your skills.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I must warn you I know NOTHING about Ninjutsu, so here goes. This 16 yr. old boy joined our TKD/HKD club and claim he is an 8th degree BB in Ninjutsu?????? He said he started since age 6. So he's been at it for 10 years.
how do your stuff work? how is that possible?

thanks for your response in advance.

I would say that this 16yo is not being serious. Of course, it'd be interesting to know if he has any training at all, other than stuff he may have picked up from a book, youtube or creating in his mind with his friends.

If there were a dojo, regardless of art, that gave a 16yo an 8th degree BB, I'd run, not walk away from that school.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not quite the same, but similar in a way:

Had a guy come in once who moved from his home country and was looking for a dojo.

He volunteered, "I'm a 2nd kyu."

I said, "Okay"

He followed with, "Do you want me to bring my certificate."

"No, that's okay"

"You believe me without proof?"

"Yeah, it's fine, doesn't matter to me, you're welcome to train if you'd like."

"Would you like to see the syllabus to see what I know?"

"Nah, just show up for training if you want to train."

Never saw him again.....

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what happens when you give a kid a black belt, in some cases.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, he does not have a belt in any legitimate system. That being said, there are tons of "systems" that have been created by loose nuts so who knows.
Course, there's always the propensity of teenagers to strech the truth.

I've personally never heard of an 8th dan in a "loose nut" non legit system, myself. Some do grant teens black belt, not keen on that.
The term "loose nut" has also been used by other legit orgs to describe some of the ones who run the legit systems as well.
What about a 19 year old Godan, that much different?

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I may have been one of those 2nd dan 11-year-olds (never made it to 8th though :ultracool), but this kid is only 16. He's probably trying to impress you with a lie about his greatness because he feels weak. Ask him if he could show you some of his "great knowledge". I'm sure you'll see right away that it was a lie.

Like was mentioned before, tell him he should come share with all of us. We'll set the kid straight.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Much like a 16 year old Hachidan, I've never heard of one...

There is a Bujinkan Shidoshi out of Canada. He was a yellow when I left the org and is now a 5th dan, maybe higher but 19 at the time he received it. I'm not tossing his name out here as I won't PM is fine if you wish proof.

I'm not using it against anything other than the Buj has it's young Godans and above too.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kreth not all schools in the Bujinkan follow that routine. OK I am sorry a 9th kyu then.
I will tell you that I had coloured belts, just like Judoka. No I realize most times its green as a kyu.
Now with that being said, it was the only network of Buj school I know that had coloured belt.

Latest Discussions