2nd Amendment and the Nunchucku

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Someone challenged NY's law prohibiting the possession of nunchucks. I believe some other states have similar laws. Although the statute was upheld, it looks like it will be challenged in the US Supreme Court.

For those interested in more, you can read more here: http://schlissellaw.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/incorporating-the-2nd-amendment-against-the-states-kirkland-ellis-is-on-the-case/

It will be interesting to see what happens with this. I know in the Parker Kenpo crowd I ran with in the 70's/80's circa, we used to tweak some of the techs to accomodate nunchaku on the possibility of bumping into some gang rat who had a pair. Interesting thing is: Most folks are so bad at using them as a proper flail, that they aren't a threat to anyone rushing. Milking the power out of them comes not from whipping them Bruce Lee style, but rahter dragging the distal end slowly through the air, making them not much more than a long club with a wierd juicy middle piece: easy to jam and disarm by attacking the vitals of the guy holding them. Not nearly as deadly as a dinner fork in the right hands, in my opinion.

Yet, because of their prevalence, and how intimidating they can be when demo'd at speed, the perception of them is as being much more deadly than what they really are...just a long club. And an unstable one at that.

I was watching one night when a brown belt student asked an old instructor of mine -- in a somewhat challenging tone -- what he would do if he was attacked by a pair of "numbchucks". Prof sez, "Let's try it and see". So the student came at him with a flail of basically a number 1 type attack. Mr. Perry did a snapping palm heel strike to the hammerfist side of the incoming hand, which stuttered the momentum of the flail, sending it off wildly in all directions. Followed instantaneously with a front snap to the guys groin. Perry wasn't large by any stretch, but he was fast. The brown belt got a knot on his on forearm and hand from the wild flail, bent over from the snap kick, and looked up to see Perry had closed the gap, pinned the weapon hand to the brown belts body, and raised his other hand as if ready to deal the final blow to wherever. "Not such the great weapon you thought it was?", the teacher asked, grinning over the stunned and bent brown belt.

I never got his finesse (I'm a bit more on the oafish side), but when I had a guy pull a pair on me bouncing, I bum-rushed him into a head-n-arm clinch, and proceeded to bash him with head-butts, knees, and elbows, until he could no longer hold onto anything (TKO). Not as refined or elegant as Perry's, but the only place I took a shot was a weak one hitting my forewarm while I crashed him.

In a way, I hope they win. I'm way less likely to die from a pair of chucks than a bullet: Haven't figgered out how to bum rush those, yet.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
While at one time they were pretty prevalent on the streets of "The people's Republic of California," an interesting thing occurred on the way to legally "outlawing" nunchaku. They placed them, and all other martial arts tools into a section with "dirks, daggers, straight razors, sawed off shotguns, etc as weapons," and made them a felony to possess along with throwing stars and other assorted "dangerous weapons" outside of a licensed business that uses them to teach martial arts. The problem is, it didn't take even our dumbest gangsters long to figure out that carrying a gun in California was only a misdemeanor. The culture that carried these weapons on the street, if they ever existed, now carry guns and have been since the law was enacted in the seventies.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While at one time they were pretty prevalent on the streets of "The people's Republic of California," an interesting thing occurred on the way to legally "outlawing" nunchaku. They placed them, and all other martial arts tools into a section with "dirks, daggers, straight razors, sawed off shotguns, etc as weapons," and made them a felony to possess along with throwing stars and other assorted "dangerous weapons" outside of a licensed business that uses them to teach martial arts. The problem is, it didn't take even our dumbest gangsters long to figure out that carrying a gun in California was only a misdemeanor. The culture that carried these weapons on the street, if they ever existed, now carry guns and have been since the law was enacted in the seventies.

California classes nunchaku possession as a misdemeanor:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
California classes nunchaku possession as a misdemeanor:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php

12020PC is a felony statute, that MAY at the discretion of the prosecutor be lowered to a misdemeanor.

But ALL offenses are arrested, booked, and charged as felonies. They are euphemistically known as "wobblers."

Gang banger with a pair of chuks in his back pocket - felony.
On your way home with a pair wrapped in your gi - misdemeanor.

But, both will be booked as felonies. The discretion is in the hands of the prosecutors, not the arresting officers. Same as "Domestic Violence." All booked as felonies sir. It doesn't become a misdemeanor until and unless the prosecutor knocks it down at a prelim.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
12020PC is a felony statute, that MAY at the discretion of the prosecutor be lowered to a misdemeanor.

But ALL offenses are arrested, booked, and charged as felonies. They are euphemistically known as "wobblers."

Gang banger with a pair of chuks in his back pocket - felony.
On your way home with a pair wrapped in your gi - misdemeanor.

But, both will be booked as felonies. The discretion is in the hands of the prosecutors, not the arresting officers. Same as "Domestic Violence." All booked as felonies sir. It doesn't become a misdemeanor until and unless the prosecutor knocks it down at a prelim.

A 'wobbler' is - or was, when I was in SoCal, a 2nd strike felony. And on my brief glance at the law, it would appear that someone with a felony for a variety of offenses or a previous conviction on 12020 would be classed a felony. So I can see the use of the term, but it originally meant that the next felony conviction was automatic life under Three Strikes. Interesting.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
A 'wobbler' is - or was, when I was in SoCal, a 2nd strike felony. And on my brief glance at the law, it would appear that someone with a felony for a variety of offenses or a previous conviction on 12020 would be classed a felony. So I can see the use of the term, but it originally meant that the next felony conviction was automatic life under Three Strikes. Interesting.

Sorry sir, but I learned the term as a rookie in the academy from a prosecutors lecture in the late sixties long before "Three Strikes" was enacted. They began using the term as a discretionary but appropriate misnomer for two strike felons later.

L.A.S.D. Class 156

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The republic of Kalifornia is something in and of itself in the US. They outlaw any weapon the gangs were using at the time and leave the public at large defenseless. They are fashionistic in there outlawing of arms and the same for their own citizens. The felons don't turn in their weapons, but law abiding citizens do. This is something that is lost to those making laws in the communist republic of Kalifornia. Unfortunately, those law abiding citizens in Kalifornia have to pay for such arrogance.

So sorry Kalifornians. My state not only lets us carry nunchuks, but they also have to issue all law abiding citizens a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm.

So much for sunny Kalifornia,

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Another reason why America is falling apart? ...stupid laws....we can carry shotguns, kitchen knives of all lenghts, baseball bats, spearguns,bow and arrows, machete knife, sickles for cutting weeds, in our homes....

But not "nunchucks"? UM!

What next ? Ban stones and rocks kept in our homes too? or a sharpen sticks too! (pencils and pens)

It has always been the little things...that adds up...that made GREAT countries....fall...and we are falling down...

the up side? ....there is still sand on the beach, (save some to throw in your eyes- kept in the home....as the "SANDWICH"

Aloha

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
They're "fashionistic"? Is this a right to bare arms thing, like Michelle Obama?
I think he means they get rewritten to incorporate whatever 'fad' weapon is in vogue at the time, effective or not.

I've always been in favor of the right to arm bears - it would certainly keep the hunters on their toes.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So what exactly is the ruling for nunchaku owned and used to teach martial arts?
I have never actually seen an actual written expanation on this, and have heard so many different versions from different people it is not even funny, including active police officers who have given completely different versions on what the lawmight be.
Is there something that can be easily printed out that clearly states the ruling on this?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The republic of Kalifornia is something in and of itself in the US. They outlaw any weapon the gangs were using at the time and leave the public at large defenseless. They are fashionistic in there outlawing of arms and the same for their own citizens. The felons don't turn in their weapons, but law abiding citizens do. This is something that is lost to those making laws in the communist republic of Kalifornia. Unfortunately, those law abiding citizens in Kalifornia have to pay for such arrogance.

So sorry Kalifornians. My state not only lets us carry nunchuks, but they also have to issue all law abiding citizens a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm.

So much for sunny Kalifornia,
Come out to my house and you'll find no shortage of firearms in my home or on my person and I don't recall ever turning in any weapon.
On a side note: Spelling California with a K? I'll give you that one since I grew up behind the orange curtain (Orange County) but c'mon, at least spell nunchaku correctly.
I hate to make my final post on a down note but what the hell...

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA CODES
PENAL CODE
SECTION 12020-12040

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:

(3) The possession of a nunchaku on the premises of a school which
holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of
self-defense.
(4) The manufacture of a nunchaku for sale to, or the sale of a
nunchaku to, a school which holds a regulatory or business license
and teaches the arts of self-defense.

(3) As used in this section, a "nunchaku" means an instrument
consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as
handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain, in the design of
a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of
self-defense such as karate.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA CODES
PENAL CODE
SECTION 12020-12040

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a
firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which
contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or
carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst
trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any
short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any
leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol,
any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge
knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice
handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon
of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy,
sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:

(3) The possession of a nunchaku on the premises of a school which
holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of
self-defense.
(4) The manufacture of a nunchaku for sale to, or the sale of a
nunchaku to, a school which holds a regulatory or business license
and teaches the arts of self-defense.

(3) As used in this section, a "nunchaku" means an instrument
consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as
handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain, in the design of
a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of
self-defense such as karate.
Thanks John.

For those that don't know, the law allows you to be on the premises of a licensed school with them, but there is a glaring hole that makes no legal exemption for transporting them to, or from the school. Translation: Don't get caught with them because it will be totally up to the cop what happens next.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks John.

For those that don't know, the law allows you to be on the premises of a licensed school with them, but there is a glaring hole that makes no legal exemption for transporting them to, or from the school. Translation: Don't get caught with them because it will be totally up to the cop what happens next.

Like most other laws in Kalifornia this does not surprise me at all. Thanks John and Doc for some clarification there.

Latest Discussions