2 Opinionated Questions about martial Style

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
A) Do you believe that certain styles benefit certain body types more than others? Essentially, can you truly reccomend an art for someone based on their body type? For example, since Wing Chun was made specifically with the small in mind, does it really benefit smaller/faster individuals more than others? Since Taekwondo uses a lot of headkicks, does that mean shorter artists shouldn't flock to it? Since Kyokushin karate punishes the body, should skinny framed guys stay away?

B) Do you personally believe in the concept of styles? The way I see it, no two human beings are the same. Each will fight and perform differently, so the concept of a style has little to do with it. However the style you choose can influence your fighting philosophies. I believe that your preferred style gives you a base, but it's your mind and what you put into it that makes up how you actually perform.

Just to touch up a little on B. I'm a Taekwondo fighter for example. But I don't really kick to the head. I use vertical fist lead hand strikes ( i corkscrew back hand strikes towards the body ), I prefer palms over fists and infighting rather than ranged kicking. When shadowboxing, I tend to use way more elbows and knees than anything else, and I use fakes and jabs and footwork like a boxer/jeet kune do man. Would you say that my style is still "Taekwondo"? or simply "Martial artist trained in Taekwondo"

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) Do you believe that certain styles benefit certain body types more than others? Essentially, can you truly reccomend an art for someone based on their body type? For example, since Wing Chun was made specifically with the small in mind, does it really benefit smaller/faster individuals more than others? Since Taekwondo uses a lot of headkicks, does that mean shorter artists shouldn't flock to it? Since Kyokushin karate punishes the body, should skinny framed guys stay away?
Yes, some styles are better fitted to to particular body types. This is a reflection of both the people who developed the style, and the principles the style uses to define itself. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone with a different body type can't learn and use the style, just that it is naturally more suited to certain people. I'm a big, heavy, stocky, solid guy. I'd have a hard time with taekwondo -- but might find judo well suited to me. I train in the Bando Boar; it's a substyle within Bando which emulates the wild Asian boar's fighting style. I'll take a shot to give one in return. A very skinny, petite person might not find that strategy well suited; they just can' take the pounding.
B) Do you personally believe in the concept of styles? The way I see it, no two human beings are the same. Each will fight and perform differently, so the concept of a style has little to do with it. However the style you choose can influence your fighting philosophies. I believe that your preferred style gives you a base, but it's your mind and what you put into it that makes up how you actually perform.

Just to touch up a little on B. I'm a Taekwondo fighter for example. But I don't really kick to the head. I use vertical fist lead hand strikes ( i corkscrew back hand strikes towards the body ), I prefer palms over fists and infighting rather than ranged kicking. When shadowboxing, I tend to use way more elbows and knees than anything else, and I use fakes and jabs and footwork like a boxer/jeet kune do man. Would you say that my style is still "Taekwondo"? or simply "Martial artist trained in Taekwondo"

Last edited:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
2;
If My experience with Taekwondo involved alot of Headkicks, Id have stuck with Boxing :)
And its relatively embraced to use the tools taught to You however You please, as far as I know. Which I choose to interpret as being that Kicks are not the primary tool.
But, Yes, Styles exist. Alterations You make are exactly that, and additionally, one Outlet may teach or permit different things to another, which may discourage personalisation. In Taekwondo, there are, in fact, Vertical Fisted Punches. Normally, theyre rarely seen, but Theyre there. Youre just doing it of Your own volition. Also, Infighting and Outfighting, like Boxing, is a choice of the individual. But the more Kick Happy You are, the more likely You are to be inclined to Outfight. You are a Taekwondo Practitioner. If We blur the lines, Im a Boxer, Taekwondo Practitioner, Karateka, Judoka, Wrestler, and god knows how many other things. I did a Sliding Side Kick once, just like the Kick part of Sweet Chin Music, so Im a WWE Superstar as well.

1;
Yes.
But the way I see it, teach Wing Chun to a tall guy, and His Arm Length will make it MORE, not less, Destructive.
Judo can be done by just about anyone, but its better in the hands of a taller Gentleman.
So, zoom out Your perspective.
Boxing is based on the use of the Hands, and having a bit of a stand-and-bang philosophy. If that matches Your ideas, go for it.
Many Karate Systems, by contrast, are very Defensive by nature. And so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Personally, I think the answer to the first question is "it depends." It depends upon how rigid the curriculum of a style is and how far away the individual is physically from the techniques. At the very least, the style will look different on different people. Ideally, the style will adapt to the person and not be dependent upon an ideal body type for success.

The answer to the second question is, IMO, each style has a culture that surrounds it. The culture is comprised of the personality of the instructors, the curriculum and the traditions involved. BJJ and Judo are close cousins as far as technique is concerned, but the culture of each style is very different. Consequently, people gravitate toward a style that meshes well with their personality. Some people like formality. I hate it, and so would not enjoy a style where the trappings of formality are emphasized.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first one depends a lot on the instructor. I am a tkdist and Im tall and lean, my mate who I started with is a big guy, not fat, but a big big boy. My instructor teaches us both differently, he realises that his strengths will be my weaknesses and vice versa. He will regularly show my mate something while we are both standing there and then turn to me and say "dont you try this, or it will end badly for you", or vice versa. My friend and I are both about to grade for 2nd dan and are of a very similar skill level, but are completely different tkdists, we just work to our strengths. I think a good instructor realises that martial arts is not always a "one size, fits all" sort of a thing and will tailor the art to suit the individual. Theres also a lot of stereotypes with martial arts, such as tkd is all high, flashy kicks so it will suit a tall skinny guy better, but if you go and actually watch a reputable tkd class in action you see that high flashy kicks make up only a small part of the art. Im not of the belief that arts suit a certain "body type", as any art taught by a good instructor is able to be adapted to any age, gender, weight, height etc. They are all inclusive.

MLA9741

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A) NO. In my opinion, anyone should chase whatever they desire. Why do a martial art if it is going to be easy? If you step out of your comfort zone, you can achieve anything. I believe their body will adapt to learn the technique and style. Essentially, you get out what you put into your training.

B) Mhm... this is a good question... I'm going to say that I do believe in the the concept of styles. Styles can give a basis for our education. The beauty about martial arts is that you can adapt and change; add and subtract what you like from the styles you know. That is what the Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese have done for thousands of years; that is how all the styles came about (Random fact, but did you know martial arts originated in ancient India? I had no clue...). I do the same jab, reverse set up. I'd say that you're a mix between kickboxer and taekwondoist.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A - No. But there are pros/cons to everything

B - Yes. Approaches, methodologies, technique mechanics, etc... vary from one thing to another. Some may share many or all while sharing none with another. There's enough disparity & differences to have the necessity for "style" or "system" or whatever the chosen separator is.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A) NO. In my opinion, anyone should chase whatever they desire. Why do a martial art if it is going to be easy? If you step out of your comfort zone, you can achieve anything. I believe their body will adapt to learn the technique and style. Essentially, you get out what you put into your training.
So, you think that if I have a sincere desire and are willing to step out of my comfort zone, I can be an astrophysicist? I disagree.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, you think that if I have a sincere desire and are willing to step out of my comfort zone, I can be an astrophysicist? I disagree.
You could, optionally, just read all this, memorise the sciency bits out of it, then pretend to have a clue about astrophysics. :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to answer the second half...

Styles exist. You personalize and develop your own -- but the basic style gives you a set of principles and theories and philosophies to base that personalization on. While the human body is pretty much the same, and movement is pretty much the same -- there are different ways to generate power, different ways to select targets, and to react to an attack. That all comes out of the style... then you take those tools and make them your own.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Somewhat nuanced. There are people better suited for one style over another, but there are not styles better suited for one person over another.

What do I mean by that? Well, I had a disagreement with Zenjael, who insisted that Isshin-Ryu is for big, powerful guys, which he isn't. I don't agree; it was invented by a very little guy, and he was of course master of it. They style is not 'for' any particular body type or personality type.

On the other hand, it contains many low kicks and no kicks, generally speaking. That suits me because as a older, bigger guy, my kicks are not high. I am strong, and Isshin-Ryu is known for strong punches and kicks. I like to get inside and mix it up, rather than stand back, and again, many of the kata have techniques designed for inside fighting.

So I find Isshin-Ryu well-suited for me; but that doesn't mean my body type and personal preferences are the only ones best-suited for Isshin-Ryu.

I've been shown many techniques, many applications, which are all part of Isshin-Ryu. Some are harder for me to grasp or to perform, some are easier and seem more natural to me, which is perhaps a reflection of my personal body type and preferences. Some I find less useful; but someone else might find them more useful based on their own body type or personal preferences.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun was not "specifically made with the small in mind." It was developed to train soldiers to fight quickly and effeciently. Soldiers come in all sizes.

Yeah, there are some systems that lean slightly more toward a certain body type, but I don't believe any system is designed specifically toward a body type.

As far as human beings being different, yes and no. You are far more like other human beings than different. Despite size differences, you still share the same basic anatomy. Your limbs move in the same way. You organs are located in the same place. You move basically the same. You have the same basic instincts. Your center of balance is almost the same. That is why, at the master levels of many martial arts, there are so many similiarities. Styles just focus on diffferent things to get to the same point.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, some styles are better fitted to to particular body types. This is a reflection of both the people who developed the style, and the principles the style uses to define itself. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone with a different body type can't learn and use the style, just that it is naturally more suited to certain people. I'm a big, heavy, stocky, solid guy. I'd have a hard time with taekwondo -- but might find judo well suited to me. I train in the Bando Boar; it's a substyle within Bando which emulates the wild Asian boar's fighting style. I'll take a shot to give one in return. A very skinny, petite person might not find that strategy well suited; they just can' take the pounding.

IDK about that Judo part. I've ready from many sources that wrestling/grappling arts are actually easier for smaller people ( both width and height up to a certain point ).

Hmmm I've never heard of Bando Boar....looking it up now

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
A) I would say yes, that certain arts may be easier for people of particular body types. However, I think that it is more important to select an art that makes sense to you mentally than to try and select one based on what is supposedly best for your body type. Different arts have different concepts and guiding principles. They will deal with the same situation differently depending on those principles. They also have different training methodologies, different ways to ingrain those principles into you and make sure that you are able to perform the techniques properly.

Regardless of well how your body fits a particular art, you aren't going to get very good at it if you don't understand or don't agree with its main ideas. You also won't improve if you don't understand the training methodology being used; if you find yourself thinking "why the hell are we doing this? How will this help me learn to fight?". You're better off with an art that clicks with you, that makes sense to you and is taught in a way that actually helps you learn it, even if it isn't the best "fit" for your body type.

B) I think jks nailed this one.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, here is my two cents worth, and NO REFUNDS please remit the payment too..... lol

any way, some styles will tend to fit some people better then some others, for physical or perhaps personality, or temperament. That said, I think that any one can learn and use most any style if they wish to train hard enough and long enough. Some people are more psychologically and well emotionally more suited to say grappling or striking I think. I also think that some styles are more suited to some situations then others.
I personally would not suggest going to the ground in a self defense situation if you can avoid it. But then there are others who think it is fine. one on one, most grappling styles are very well suited to, but I do not think the ones that go to the ground are as suited to multiple attackers.

A lot of the grappling styles are not as geared to lethal force from what I have seen, and ofter very humane... many striking systems are aimed at a more lethal outcome from what I have seen. ( these are very large generality's not a description of all ) For that reason I have known some people who liked things like sambo and judo and aikido. This DOES NOT mean that those system or any system does not have the ability to be lethal!
BJJ or sambo for instance seems to like the idea of brake a limb and see if they will stop, or put them out with a choke... usually applied in the safest way possible to the choked person....
Okinawan systems tend for instance, to be looking to put the attacker down with maximum damage so they are no longer a threat if still alive. a different doctrine of how to operate. Not better and Not worse, just different.

so I would say look at what appeals to you and train in it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
IDK about that Judo part. I've ready from many sources that wrestling/grappling arts are actually easier for smaller people ( both width and height up to a certain point ).

Grappling works for everyone! But you will see that it looks different on a 275 lbs guy and a 175lbs guy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
ok, here is my two cents worth, and NO REFUNDS please remit the payment too..... lol

any way, some styles will tend to fit some people better then some others, for physical or perhaps personality, or temperament. That said, I think that any one can learn and use most any style if they wish to train hard enough and long enough. Some people are more psychologically and well emotionally more suited to say grappling or striking I think. I also think that some styles are more suited to some situations then others.
I personally would not suggest going to the ground in a self defense situation if you can avoid it. But then there are others who think it is fine. one on one, most grappling styles are very well suited to, but I do not think the ones that go to the ground are as suited to multiple attackers.

A lot of the grappling styles are not as geared to lethal force from what I have seen, and ofter very humane... many striking systems are aimed at a more lethal outcome from what I have seen. ( these are very large generality's not a description of all ) For that reason I have known some people who liked things like sambo and judo and aikido. This DOES NOT mean that those system or any system does not have the ability to be lethal!
BJJ or sambo for instance seems to like the idea of brake a limb and see if they will stop, or put them out with a choke... usually applied in the safest way possible to the choked person....
Okinawan systems tend for instance, to be looking to put the attacker down with maximum damage so they are no longer a threat if still alive. a different doctrine of how to operate. Not better and Not worse, just different.

so I would say look at what appeals to you and train in it.

We have several cops and they usually end each submission chain they teach with death. Well, not all... Id say more tham half. And the only difference between choking someone to sleep and choking them to death is a little patience.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Wait, WHAT?

Im sorry, but Ive just gotta say.
Never mind that anyone of any height can do them, I sure as hell do not want to be lifted off the ground and thrown like a ragdoll by some 6"3 brute whose arms are made of muscle. I can pick up people somewhat bigger and heavier than Myself, and Im just a skinny guy. Im not sure I even want to know how easy it would be for someone bigger (both height and bulk) who is not only trained, but physically strong. Think about it for a second now.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Wait, WHAT?

Im sorry, but Ive just gotta say.
Never mind that anyone of any height can do them, I sure as hell do not want to be lifted off the ground and thrown like a ragdoll by some 6"3 brute whose arms are made of muscle. I can pick up people somewhat bigger and heavier than Myself, and Im just a skinny guy. Im not sure I even want to know how easy it would be for someone bigger (both height and bulk) who is not only trained, but physically strong. Think about it for a second now.

Strength can absolutely be an advantage, for sure. So can speed, athleticism, flexibility and intelligence, among other things. It's just one of many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have several cops and they usually end each submission chain they teach with death. Well, not all... Id say more tham half. And the only difference between choking someone to sleep and choking them to death is a little patience.
well first of all a cops job is to bring them in alive, and yes time is part of it. but your rear naked choke can also be done as a 'Japanese strangle', using the forearm across the throat, and crushing it and braking the neck instead of cutting off blood. I did not say some grappling techniques do not end in death if that is what you wish, I said that the doctrine seems to be more disable and submit as opposed to kill quickly. I said neither is better or worse, just different. I would not go to the ground alone with some one who had friends with him if I could help it!

Latest Discussions