How rules affect style

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That looks nasty!

So looking back at the era of old-time bare-knuckle boxing, the era of John L. Sillivan & Co., think about the consequences of a serious hand injury without modern surgery and physical therapy to rehab ...especially for a tradesman who lived by working with his hands.

Those are factors that might have also contributed to avoiding "headhunting". Just speculation.

Yeah. But getting your jaw or eyesocket broken probably wouldn't have helped either.

I have been punched bare knuckle and I can't imagine being worried about my hands.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should see the other hand. It was pretty early in my martial arts. More than 20 years ago. It works fine. I reduced the fracture myself and wrapped it after. It should have had surgery but I was young and broke so I just straightened it and x rayed it my self at the vet I worked at. I did a decent job because it works. That 4 th metacarpal is very thick because of the large amount of bone callous that built up and down the length of the transverse fracture. It’s about a half inch shorter but no big deal.

And that is the other factor. I imagine 1800's whatever boxer just sucked up a broken hand and got on with life.

I broke mine in jujitsu ironically.but went through the process. So it is barely there.

Attachments

• 20230114_091548.jpg
    20230114_091548.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 31

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. But getting your jaw or eyesocket broken probably wouldn't have helped either.

I have been punched bare knuckle and I can't imagine being worried about my hands.
Depends on what you hit. There are parts of the human skull (such as the orbits, especially the zygoma) that are really quite fragile. Punch someone there, and the risk to your hand is minimal.
On the other hand, if your target ducks their head and you punch them in the forehead, things can change.

And although it's more of an issue in the days following the punch, an untreated fight bite can potentially cost you your hand.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what you hit. There are parts of the human skull (such as the orbits, especially the zygoma) that are really quite fragile. Punch someone there, and the risk to your hand is minimal.
On the other hand, if your target ducks their head and you punch them in the forehead, things can change.

And although it's more of an issue in the days following the punch, an untreated fight bite can potentially cost you your hand.
I hit a guy in the mouth when I was 17 and broke a piece of tooth off in my knuckle. I became very ill within a few hours. I told the ED Dr. That I hit the curb skateboarding. After he removed the tooth fragment he said “hmm I did not know curbs had teeth”.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
And that is the other factor. I imagine 1800's whatever boxer just sucked up a broken hand and got on with life.

I broke mine in jujitsu ironically.but went through the process. So it is barely there.
It looks like the same bone, same hand as me. Left 4th metacarpal?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the same bone, same hand as me. Left 4th metacarpal?
I broke mine blocking. I was sparring 3 students. I focused too much on the one I was kicking, and screwed up the timing blocking a front kick. Instead of my hand hitting the side of their calf and pushing the kick aside, I got my fist right in front of their shin. When I pulled my gloves off, it was tenting. So I reduced it and finished the class. Nobody knew I was hurt until we were driving home, and my wife asked why I was palming the wheel instead of gripping it. Wrapped it, iced it, and went to work that evening. X-rayed it after we got past the worst of the nights rush. The distal 3rd was off and the proximal 2/3 was split lengthwise. The reduction wasn't bad at all, so Sue splinted it and we went on with our lives.
IMG_5811[1].JPG

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I broke mine blocking. I was sparring 3 students. I focused too much on the one I was kicking, and screwed up the timing blocking a front kick. Instead of my hand hitting the side of their calf and pushing the kick aside, I got my fist right in front of their shin. When I pulled my gloves off, it was tenting. So I reduced it and finished the class. Nobody knew I was hurt until we were driving home, and my wife asked why I was palming the wheel instead of gripping it. Wrapped it, iced it, and went to work that evening. X-rayed it after we got past the worst of the nights rush. The distal 3rd was off and the proximal 2/3 was split lengthwise. The reduction wasn't bad at all, so Sue splinted it and we went on with our lives.
View attachment 29470
Wow! That’s worse. Hard to put your pants on with one hand. I thought I might hurl when I reduced mine, but I got through it with some ibuprofen and tequila.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! That’s worse. Hard to put your pants on with one hand. I thought I might hurl when I reduced mine, but I got through it with some ibuprofen and tequila.
I know it was silly, but I wasn't about to let my students know I'd gotten hurt. They already knew I was crazy though. After my first bowel resection (14" of gut and 6 tumors removed) I was in class the day I was discharged. I didn't do much other than walk around tweaking things with people, but I was there.

These fall into the category of "don't follow my example"...

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know it was silly, but I wasn't about to let my students know I'd gotten hurt. They already knew I was crazy though. After my first bowel resection (14" of gut and 6 tumors removed) I was in class the day I was discharged. I didn't do much other than walk around tweaking things with people, but I was there.

These fall into the category of "don't follow my example"...
Well, you have several strikes against you. Your generation, your gender, the fact that you are a nurse, and the fact that you are a nurse, and mostly because you are a nurse. This likely makes you non compliant, symptom hiding, reticent to accept any help whatsoever, hypercritical of the methods used in your care, and generally intransigent when presented with the facts I have listed here. This makes you one of the worst types of patient possible. Am I right?

Latest Discussions