2,000 years???

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really if you consider the meaning of the word. Hand, foot, and way. The jump kicks are a direct result of the introduction of the cavalry attacks Koreans became subject too.
Sean

If you meant that seriously, it's a myth. There are interviews with various TKD grandmasters like Kim Soo or Hee Il Cho where they state the jumping kicks were added after they had already started practicing taekwondo.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you meant that seriously, it's a myth. There are interviews with various TKD grandmasters like Kim Soo or Hee Il Cho where they state the jumping kicks were added after they had already started practicing taekwondo.

Geez, you mean those jump kicks weren't designed and trained to knock people off horses? Next thing you know someone will tell me there's no Santa Claus.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Geez, you mean those jump kicks weren't designed and trained to knock people off horses? Next thing you know someone will tell me there's no Santa Claus.

Earl Earl Earl Santa Claus is real it is that Easter Bunny that is not, come on we all know that.....:erg:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is 58 year old, plain and simple. Parts of TKD are old as hell but that is another story, the real question should be why is TKD affraid of its identity?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It amazes everytime a TKD sambonim or master or grand master says TKD has more than 2000 years of existence. I remeber when I was a kid hearing my sambonim told us this and we ate it.

TKD has not more then 2000 years old, in fact it was created back in 1955, so then TKD has 56 years old.

We went through all of this already at length with Karatemomusa. But if you need to go through it all over again, the whole point of the naming committee (which met on December 19, 1954, not April 11, 1955) was to select the han moon characters for the art Taekkyon. The reason is that there was a demonstration in front of ROK President RHEE Syngman in 1954, where the president exclaimed "That's Taekkyon!" So General Choi and others went hunting for the chinese characters for Taekkyon. If they had found or knew of the characters, then the art name would have been Taekkyondo. Unfortunately, there were no han moon characters for Taekkyon, so the next closest han moon characters were tae and kwon. That is how we got the name Taekwondo, as a close approximation and next best thing for Taekkyondo.

That being said, when the history blurbs mention that Taekwondo is 1300 or 2000 years old, what they are referencing is the original idea that Taekwondo is a continuation of Taekkyon, which President Rhee stated. We do not know how old Taekkyon is. It was a folk game played by people living primarily in the countryside, so there are very few historical documents relating to it.

And as discussed earlier, it would be incorrect to say that Taekwondo came solely from Okinawan or Japanese karate, given the deep emphasis and development of kicking in Taekwondo. There is a long cultural history of the use of kicks, in part because of the Korean cultural perspective that it is uncivilized and also potentially foolish to strike someone with your fist, because if you injure your hand, then it might mean that you could not provide for your family.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKD is 58 year old, plain and simple. Parts of TKD are old as hell but that is another story, the real question should be why is TKD affraid of its identity?

2011-58 = 1953. How do you come up with that date? And Taekwondo is not afraid of its identity.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, why some people are so affraid of it's identity? This is something that ring my bell sometimes, can anyone answer this?

BTW Terry we all know Santa and the easther bunny aren't real, Superman and Spiderman are true true.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But who was attacking Korea 4000 years ago on horse?

I think it was the Koreans charging into Manchuria, yelling 'keep them off me KEEP THEM OFF ME!!!!'

Somebody was attacking something, I am sure....

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
According to ROK President RHEE Syngman, we're all taekkyon practitioners.

Well I guess that is true. It's interesting to look at it that way, but what I'm curious about is whether or not pure Taekkyeon still exists the way it's described in A Killing Art, for example.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

It's also little known that the hook kick dates to 1903, when the first Harley-Davidson motorcycle was made. Early bikers quickly adapted the bike starting motion to kick away dogs that chased them, and then found it useful on people.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm curious about is whether or not pure Taekkyeon still exists the way it's described in A Killing Art, for example.

I don't know about what is described in the book Killing Art, but there are Taekkyon organizations dedicated to preserving this art and passing it on. In fact, I hear that Taekkyon is the second most popular martial art in Korea now, passing Hapkido, Kumdo, Yudo and others. Taekkyon dojang are popping up all over the place, and is also spreading to the US. There was a seminar recently held in Ohio.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about what is described in the book Killing Art, but there are Taekkyon organizations dedicated to preserving this art and passing it on. In fact, I hear that Taekkyon is the second most popular martial art in Korea now, passing Hapkido, Kumdo, Yudo and others. Taekkyon dojang are popping up all over the place, and is also spreading to the US. There was a seminar recently held in Ohio.

It seems interesting. I remember a thread inviting TKD teachers to get certified for Taekkyeon at a seminar; if I get a chance I'll probably give it a shot.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems interesting. I remember a thread inviting TKD teachers to get certified for Taekkyeon at a seminar; if I get a chance I'll probably give it a shot.

I am told that Taekwondo practitioners pick up Taekkyon really quickly. They are similar in a lot of respects. There are some notable differences, but they are not hard to overcome.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am told that Taekwondo practitioners pick up Taekkyon really quickly. They are similar in a lot of respects. There are some notable differences, but they are not hard to overcome.

Going to have to see if I can get a chance to try it. It seems like fun and it might be more reasonable for a TKD instructor to play with than Capoiera, which I've also been interested in. :D

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like this thread. Almost all of the modern korean martial arts can find their roots in karate, judo/jujitsu, kung fu/wushu, wrestling....etc. for every arguement for, there are three against. Modern day tkd in korea is a sport. It was originally based on principles and teachings found in karate, but no more.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ive never had anyone try to tell me that tkd is 2000 years old. I have, however, heard people say "tkd can trace its roots back 2000 years", so I guess its all in the wording.