1st WC class

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well last night I had my 1st WC class. I had went 2 weeks ago to see how class was b/c I was interested and I liked what I saw. So I decided to join and had my first real lesson.....

My knees hurt!!!!!! OMG, I didn't know it would be this hard on my knees. I see now I rather do regular kung fu horse stance over WC horse stance anyday!! lol. My shoulders and arms are sore. I don't see how people learn to relax.

I had been taking TKD while I lived in Texas but since moving to Minnesota it was hard to find another TKD school that I liked. I found one school but I could only take lessons during my lunch hour (The GM only taught classes during mid day.) but after awhile it became too hard 2 continue with conference calls and unexpected meetings at work popping up.

I have invested in Ben Gay to get me through the muscle pains. I do have to get use to the 2 hour class since I am use to just 1 hour MA classes. Seems different b/c I am use to kick pads and shields and with WC there is none of that, just direct contact.

I decided to take WC due to I have always been interested in it but more than anything I know I lack hand techniques/skills and figured this would be a good way to go and start developing those skills. With TKD beign my main art I probably should have taken Hapkido but WC does interest me more. We shall see how it goes.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well last night I had my 1st WC class. I had went 2 weeks ago to see how class was b/c I was interested and I liked what I saw. So I decided to join and had my first real lesson.....

My knees hurt!!!!!! OMG, I didn't know it would be this hard on my knees. I see now I rather do regular kung fu horse stance over WC horse stance anyday!! lol. My shoulders and arms are sore. I don't see how people learn to relax.

I had been taking TKD while I lived in Texas but since moving to Minnesota it was hard to find another TKD school that I liked. I found one school but I could only take lessons during my lunch hour (The GM only taught classes during mid day.) but after awhile it became too hard 2 continue with conference calls and unexpected meetings at work popping up.

I have invested in Ben Gay to get me through the muscle pains. I do have to get use to the 2 hour class since I am use to just 1 hour MA classes. Seems different b/c I am use to kick pads and shields and with WC there is none of that, just direct contact.

I decided to take WC due to I have always been interested in it but more than anything I know I lack hand techniques/skills and figured this would be a good way to go and start developing those skills. With TKD beign my main art I probably should have taken Hapkido but WC does interest me more. We shall see how it goes.

Good stuff. :)

Yes, it will be pretty heavy fitness/stances/bruising wise, or at least, it is in my kwoon. Took some getting used to doing things bareknuckle. I often ended up with split and bloodied knuckles, bruised to the point of being blackened wrists, arms, legs and the odd smack in the face.

What I love about WC is it's directness and simplicity, that said, don't let people kid you that you can ONLY do certain attacks or that EVERYTHING has to be straight linear style punching etc in WC. In mine and my sifu's opinion that's not the case at all. If you're able to incorporate the likes of a muay thai/TKD kick do it. We utilise knees, elbows, upper cuts, rib shots whatever. Some may say it's a hybrid that it's not traditional. Who cares, enjoy what you do, enjoy what WC has to offer, and enjoy playing around with some of the unique drills you'll learn.

Just enjoy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Muscle aches in any sport are going to be par for the course. If your knees continue to bother you, there is one simple thing you can do that I swear by. Fish Oil is like a wonder drug. It's great for your heart and mind, but also in larger doses promotes healthy joint function. It's like WD-40 for your joints.

It's good that you found a school you like!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say stick with WC for 3 to 5 years. An then check out Judo or Hapkido...good invest. My Sifu says Tae Kwon Do and WC are a good mesh. But I would say also when you get a chance. Invest in Tiger balm and dit da jow. An start applying before and after class on your shoulders,elbows, wrist, knees and maybe hips depending on your lineage. Also apply to parts of your arms you make contact with kicks and hard punches like the bones in your arm...I really like WC I have been interested in learning some TKD myself. But the schools here I heard are waterdown. They don't teach the fighting aspect of TKD? Alot of them here are just out for money. Actually TKD has more hand techniques than kicking. Its just people like to kick more so the Teachers now and days just train the kicks and kick spar. They don't teach the basic blocks and hand strikes in Tae Kwon Do. If your a black belt check out all the forms you learn. An compare how many kicks you throw to how many hand strikes?

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Congrats AceHBk.

I was in the same boat when I first started. I thought I had strong legs and pretty good muscle stamina... fortunately the human body is lazy and it will find the lazy way of doing the stances, rolling, punching, etc and you will learn to relax through repetition.

Good luck.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say stick with WC for 3 to 5 years. An then check out Judo or Hapkido...good invest. My Sifu says Tae Kwon Do and WC are a good mesh. But I would say also when you get a chance. Invest in Tiger balm and dit da jow. An start applying before and after class on your shoulders,elbows, wrist, knees and maybe hips depending on your lineage. Also apply to parts of your arms you make contact with kicks and hard punches like the bones in your arm...I really like WC I have been interested in learning some TKD myself. But the schools here I heard are waterdown. They don't teach the fighting aspect of TKD? Alot of them here are just out for money. Actually TKD has more hand techniques than kicking. Its just people like to kick more so the Teachers now and days just train the kicks and kick spar. They don't teach the basic blocks and hand strikes in Tae Kwon Do. If your a black belt check out all the forms you learn. An compare how many kicks you throw to how many hand strikes?

I picked up some Ben Gay and will take a hot bath tonight and apply some. My hands, wrists, shoulders, knees and forearms hurt like hell right now.

Bare knuckle for 2 hours str8 will put some pain in a person in no time.

And now that you mention it, there is a lot of hand techniques in TKD forms. I never noticed b/c I hated doing them so much.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea actually alot of forms in TKD once you get pass the black belt part you have really alot of hand techniques. You will literally looked like your doing Kung Fu. Tae Kwon Do and Karate hand techniques are pretty awesome if you learn them an drill the forms every day for like ten years and practice using the techniques with partner. Your hand skills will be awesome. But most of the time TKD instructors don't have you learn how to use the hands...you have to practice forms an figure it out on your own. The reason being is because most people think its boring...they mostly take up TKD to do long kicks and thats it?

I picked up some Ben Gay and will take a hot bath tonight and apply some. My hands, wrists, shoulders, knees and forearms hurt like hell right now.

Bare knuckle for 2 hours str8 will put some pain in a person in no time.

And now that you mention it, there is a lot of hand techniques in TKD forms. I never noticed b/c I hated doing them so much.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I know that feeling, I was interested in training some Muay Thai, and checked out a local gym, it was more like a boxercise/fitness class to me, I just saw no use in it, which was a shame. I'm certain I'd find a better standard in another gym. That's the key.

Also agree with the opening part of this post. WC is a great art, really is. But. It has limitations, in my opinion, I won't tell you the grappling art my sifu trains, in case it starts another argument ;). Some people will say that it isn't, but if trained properly, can be damned effective. The same could be true of all arts though I guess. I like this sentiment though, cos if things like life, work and family didn't get in the way, I'd study all of them.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea I wouldn't really say WC has limitations. I would say I have limitations. A person who practices WC alot more dedicated than me will be hard to beat even using Judo,Kickboxing,Aikido and WC. But I have limitations. An for a quick fix before my WC progresses to a level were I may not need to confuse my opponent I may cross train something else. But really I don't cross train because I think another art is going to make a better fighter. I personally only see using WC for a street fight. I might take a technique from Tai Chi or Bagua An apply as WC but realistically that is just to give me extra techniques. I also take drills from other WC lineages and practice them as well.

But the only reason I interested in Xing Yi...is because its looks cool to me. I wouldnt mind learning it. So if I take up Xing Yi it would be for fun. But the fight would be WC. Thinking of new ways to hurt someone really bad an quick before they have time to set up a technique or impulsively perform a technique on me. I won't my WC to progress to a level where I can end a fight in 30 seconds or less. I am not there yet. But I do think its cool that if you study Boxing,TKD and Karate and your sparring a skilled fighter. They think your doing WC an try to stick and move Then you switch to TKD an flutter them with numerous kicks. An then they try to get on the inside. Back to WC an then they try some other tactic an you can switch to Boxing. But I would say to be profiecient at switching it is best to take atlease three years or more of each. That way you should have mostly all the basics for each system.

But yea, I mean i see every art as with out limitation. One must adapt to the limitations with in him self. Such as TKD all long range an kicks. But wait TKD has hand techniques. Actually TKD is more 70% hands and only 30% feet. But tournaments and training now and days all you see is kicks. Because people perfer to kick over using their hands. So the instructors don't teach that. WC is mostly Hands, But they also have kicks,throws,takedowns,standing grappling and chin na. But most people don't teach that stuff. WC has enough stuff in it if you are taking to ground you should be able to get off the ground quickly. WC is an art that you should be able advoid going to ground. Now me I am novice. You may be able to take me to ground because I havent had enough experience with grapplers. Even this police officer friend got me in submission one time. I mean it took it him ten tries and around seventh or eight try he got me down and submitted me. But the other nine times he i always ended up in dominant posistion taking total control. To me getting taking down once is horrible. But I am not ashamed to admit it. I mean the guy is a little bigger than me. I am skinny so he should be able to take me down more...As his skills progress he will probably be able to. I like working on Judo with him because its fun. It gives you extra moves. But WC has some Judo techniques too. But many people don't teach the grappling and chin na of WC because many people only want to know how to punch and hit. Also many other fist of WC many sifu's dont teach...they say they have no need for it. Like WC uses Iron Palm,Iron Arms,Phoenix Fist,Iron Fingers and Ginger Fist. But many people choose not teach these because they are dangerous,health risk,fear of raising killers,Don't know them,Don't want to teach others, want to keep the good stuff for themselves or students don't care about the conditioning and training involved.

I would say WC can be an art that is great if you train diligently and practice every day. I will say I have limitations...But not WC. I know my limitations. Now WC has reasonable Limitations like all arts do. in other words your Bong Sau can not deflect a pick up truck. Your Tan Sau can not block a bullet or missle. Your stance is not so solid that you can stop Samurai Sword from cutting your legs off by just standing there an waiting for chop. But all arts have limitation. Even wrestling. But the art has reasonable limitations. Like for instance you may not be able to grapple with four tigers at the same time an submit them. Or you may not even be able to submit one grizzley bear. Your not going to be able to take down a sumo wrestler who weighs 650lbs. Your not going to be able to defeat him if your only 200lbs weight and weight 6'0". WC has reasonable limitation just like any art. Karate is very hard an can break bricks. But a Karate guy can not break one foot of solid steel. Not can he break three inches of iron with his ridge hand. Nor can kick through a banks safe wall an knock it down. A karate guy may be able to beat most fighters if he is train well but someone with more skill in fighting against karate guys will be able to beat him...

If you practice Karate and I practice TKD

If I skilled enough to beat your karate that means I am more skilled than you. Vice Versa. It doesn't mean the art has limitations. If I loose against Karate guy,Boxer,Wrestler. That means I need to practice basics more spar more an get my head around how did i get knocked out,Taking down or submitted. An how can I advoid it next time. Then when I fight again adapt. Don't let the boxer stick and move and knock me out. Don't let the Karate guy kick my head off. Don't let the wrestler slam me down to ground an twist my arms back like a pretzel. I need to learn how to counter to advoid the other arts goals. This what most arts lack...they don't train to defeat other arts...Just street fighters and thugs.

I know that feeling, I was interested in training some Muay Thai, and checked out a local gym, it was more like a boxercise/fitness class to me, I just saw no use in it, which was a shame. I'm certain I'd find a better standard in another gym. That's the key.

Also agree with the opening part of this post. WC is a great art, really is. But. It has limitations, in my opinion, I won't tell you the grappling art my sifu trains, in case it starts another argument ;). Some people will say that it isn't, but if trained properly, can be damned effective. The same could be true of all arts though I guess. I like this sentiment though, cos if things like life, work and family didn't get in the way, I'd study all of them.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yea I wouldn't really say WC has limitations. I would say I have limitations. A person who practices WC alot more dedicated than me will be hard to beat even using Judo,Kickboxing,Aikido and WC. But I have limitations. An for a quick fix before my WC progresses to a level were I may not need to confuse my opponent I may cross train something else. But really I don't cross train because I think another art is going to make a better fighter. I personally only see using WC for a street fight.

I would, but then, lets not start this up again. Shall we just agree that we disagree in this regard? :D

I agree with the last sentiment though. Well executed (and trained) WC can be particularly effective.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

Good luck.I'm sure by now you know Wing Chun is very different from TKD.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree to disagree...lol....

I would, but then, lets not start this up again. Shall we just agree that we disagree in this regard? :D

I agree with the last sentiment though. Well executed (and trained) WC can be particularly effective.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, my dit dar jow is ready for my first WC class in a long, long time. :S

Gonna hurt I think. :D

We should all compare bruises maybe? Have a section where we can post pics, and brag, or put down others... ;)

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wing chun does have limitations. Every art does.
The moment people realise that, the stronger they will be as a martial artist and a person

Even if you look at it from the point of view that pure wing chun is not in the UFC. Why? because many of the rules prevent most wing chun moves. Hence by default it is limited

Doesn't make wing chun bad. It excels where most arts don't. If I ask a boxer to strike something an inch away without pulling their arm back, they will struggle. Same with karate. Same with many arts.

I think too many people ae too protective of their art. They have to realise that no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.

Do you really think your wing chun would stand up against any UFC fighter? Really? The point is that wing chun is a great art. If you know wing chun, but you are also aware of other arts, you will be even better.

Going back to original topic... You will find TKD differs greatly from wing chun in that TKD is a sport and is more about point scoring than actual self defence

If you aren't doing any pad work, then you need to find a class that does. I assume that because it is your first lesson, you may not know if they do padwork or not. But it should be a part of your training

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Going back to original topic... You will find TKD differs greatly from wing chun in that TKD is a sport and is more about point scoring than actual self defence

If you aren't doing any pad work, then you need to find a class that does. I assume that because it is your first lesson, you may not know if they do padwork or not. But it should be a part of your training

Yeah making the change from TDK is different but ok. I do miss the kicking and stuff and I am not use to the "arms length away" drills. I realize this is how WC is so getting use to it will take a little time but it will happen.

I haven't done any pad work since all I am doing so far is SLT & Pak sau(?) I do like it but again, I am sore as heck. Also making the change from a 1hr class to a 2hr class is different as well. I see that trying to relax is going to take me a really long time to grasp though.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK, may I as what techniques are making your arms hurt and bruise so much? When I first started it was lat sau that banged up my forearms alot, but pak sau can smart too.
One tip, if your shoulders are hurting from the punching, make sure that you focus punching with the elbows more than the shoulders and bicepts. Drop your shoulders down, almost lazy when you punch, pushing with the elbows out to punch. You should feel sore in the upper back area/shoulder blades from punching. Your lats so to speak.
I remember when I first did basic stance my first class. I walked funny for the rest of the day I was so sore! lol! It will work up the musles around your knees really well. :)

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK, may I as what techniques are making your arms hurt and bruise so much? When I first started it was lat sau that banged up my forearms alot, but pak sau can smart too.
One tip, if your shoulders are hurting from the punching, make sure that you focus punching with the elbows more than the shoulders and bicepts. Drop your shoulders down, almost lazy when you punch, pushing with the elbows out to punch. You should feel sore in the upper back area/shoulder blades from punching. Your lats so to speak.
I remember when I first did basic stance my first class. I walked funny for the rest of the day I was so sore! lol! It will work up the musles around your knees really well. :)

Oh hell yeah. I had my first class back tonight, after a break of a good 18 months, and I had the best intentions of running home after class, only a couple of miles. However, the muscles around my knees after the class were somewhat sore... :D

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On another note. I'm sure you'll be doing pad work later on. You just started taking, right? We don't usually have the students do alot of hitting of the mits until they get their technique down a bit with the chain punching to avoid injury and bad habits later on down the road. Give it a week or two, I'm sure your Sifu will have you kicking and punching pads soon enough.

As for TKD training being that much different than WC, well it depends on the TKD you took. Your stance is much smaller with WC, and you'll be using more internal energy than external. But, you keep your shoulders square when punching and instead of snapping from the hip you'll "snap" from the elbow. Just smaller motions than TKD. You'll learn to use the hips later on too, similar in concept to some TKD in punching only you'll add flexing of the spine with your hips and punching. That's much much later on though.

Anyways, when you get your chainpunching down pretty well, you'll most likely be working more with pads.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doing chain punches and blocking keep my shoulders and arms sore. I just need to learn how to relax. Also being at a pc all day for work doesn't help either. I will definitely do as you suggest.

Yes I just started taking classes and my first lesson was last week. Funny that you brought up the internal part, I noticed that it would probably help to work on the internal part. I see that breathing correctly will help the relaxation.

Thanks for the tips I will keep them in mind.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also dont forget to strecth your arms and shoulders...what you are doing is building muscles when you punch. Same with lifting free weights...your arms are going to be sore afterwards. Everytime I time I do a thousand punches since i been lazy and don't do them every day I really feel it. But I just put Dit Da Jow on my shoulders an after awhile the soreness is all gone. Also Tiger Balm is pretty good. I also do some Chi Gung Exercises as well!

Doing chain punches and blocking keep my shoulders and arms sore. I just need to learn how to relax. Also being at a pc all day for work doesn't help either. I will definitely do as you suggest.

Yes I just started taking classes and my first lesson was last week. Funny that you brought up the internal part, I noticed that it would probably help to work on the internal part. I see that breathing correctly will help the relaxation.

Thanks for the tips I will keep them in mind.

Latest Discussions