1st Wing Chun class in a long time

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did the attackers have arm pads on mate , I found in the past that partners if they haven't got arm protection on will do the first attack at full pelt and then each successive strike will be softer and softer because their sick of getting there arm hurt .

So when we really wanted to pressure test the integrity of a deflection we'd get the partner to put two arm pads on one arm and then he could wail away as hard as he could .

It really honed your concentration skills too because you knew if you messed up the deflection you were likely to get your head taken off , but it also did a lot for your confidence knowing that your deflections could withstand that much force without collapsing .

No mate, he didn't. No padding at all. Full pelt from the off. As you say, it concentrates the mind, and I did get caught towards the end, but like a flipping trooper I kept going. :D

He came in 100% force at first, but we both found it more painful being the attacker. It's amazing how much force you can stop with a tan. I thought it was baloney, but having had a big, big bloke attack at full force, using random arms, I'm fairly happy it works.

The end result is that I've had a full body work out, have re-aquainted myself with being in a CQB full on fists environment, and minus a few bruises/sore bits, am still here today. Keep ramping that training up, and we're there. ;)

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I went to a Yip man school in the next town out here. It was pretty cool. I was paired up with this shorty cocky guy. He was using alot of force. Anyway I guess the guys pride was too much because we were doing Three star blocking and hard partner punches for thirty minutes almost. He was going extremely hard doing partner punching. I tried to spare his arms But his sifu told me to his arms like rock. So when I did several minutes later his arms were blistering red. He got some dit da jow. I did too just to be humble. But his arms were blistered man. Mines weren't even affected. lol....I think this guy has been training for a long while because he seem to be somewhat of senior student.

No mate, he didn't. No padding at all. Full pelt from the off. As you say, it concentrates the mind, and I did get caught towards the end, but like a flipping trooper I kept going. :D

He came in 100% force at first, but we both found it more painful being the attacker. It's amazing how much force you can stop with a tan. I thought it was baloney, but having had a big, big bloke attack at full force, using random arms, I'm fairly happy it works.

The end result is that I've had a full body work out, have re-aquainted myself with being in a CQB full on fists environment, and minus a few bruises/sore bits, am still here today. Keep ramping that training up, and we're there. ;)

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I went to a Yip man school in the next town out here. It was pretty cool. I was paired up with this shorty cocky guy. He was using alot of force. Anyway I guess the guys pride was too much because we were doing Three star blocking and hard partner punches for thirty minutes almost. He was going extremely hard doing partner punching. I tried to spare his arms But his sifu told me to his arms like rock. So when I did several minutes later his arms were blistering red. He got some dit da jow. I did too just to be humble. But his arms were blistered man. Mines weren't even affected. lol....I think this guy has been training for a long while because he seem to be somewhat of senior student.

I've just purchased some new DDJ, as I'd run out of my old supplies. Will need it for my coming class. I'm still covered in bruises from 2 weeks ago. Arms, chest, chin, hands. It's great to carry them as badges, but as an IT professional (allegedly) it's not the done thing to come in working with clients looking as though one's spent the previous evening in a bar brawl!

Say, where is Yoshi? Has he put his foot in it one too many times? :S

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chuckle, my first night doing lap sau for 30 mns, I ended up with both of my arms from wrist to elbow COMPLETELY BRUISED, my mother and sister thought they could keep me from ever going back, I wish I had pictures, they faded within a week oddly enough, I was quite fond of them actually :p

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just purchased some new DDJ, as I'd run out of my old supplies. Will need it for my coming class. I'm still covered in bruises from 2 weeks ago. Arms, chest, chin, hands. It's great to carry them as badges, but as an IT professional (allegedly) it's not the done thing to come in working with clients looking as though one's spent the previous evening in a bar brawl!

Say, where is Yoshi? Has he put his foot in it one too many times? :S

I teach my wife sometimes and she is Japanese with really soft skin , I mean you just look at her and she bruises. She goes into work the next morning with bruises all up her arms and the ladies in her office think I'm a wife basher or something.
Yeah Yoshi got banned mate , shame really ,the bloke was good for a laugh.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to be off topic.. but what?! I had no idea yoshi was banned.. that sucks, I really enjoyed his input :/

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my first WC class in ages tonight.

Found 3 guys who are training together and joined them.

Enjoyed it as it was very relaxed, not too relaxed but just enough.

Done lots of basics and now there are 4 pairing up is easier with no one standing around.

They seemed to think I was ok...as I am the outsider...but this place being very small I knew one of them.

Done a warm up, press ups (god they hurt) and LOTS of chain punches.

Then drills, and basic dan chi sau.

The guy showing us (he doesnt claim to be a teacher) is good, and tbh its better then nothing.

We finished with a nice slow first form, and god did I sweat.

Looking forward to next week and they are going to try and do another night if possible.

What I should do is print out all of MJM's training idea posts...or a nice admin could sticky them at the top of the page if MJM wouldnt mind??

Cheers

Bully

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Done lots of basics and now there are 4 pairing up is easier with no one standing around.

They seemed to think I was ok...as I am the outsider...but this place being very small I knew one of them.

The guy showing us (he doesnt claim to be a teacher) is good, and tbh its better then nothing.

Looking forward to next week and they are going to try and do another night if possible.

What I should do is print out all of MJM's training idea posts...or a nice admin could sticky them at the top of the page if MJM wouldnt mind??

Cheers

Bully

That's awesome! I always loved exchanges like that, unfortunately it doesn't happen near enough. I guess politics, bs etc...

But that's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the Wing Chun Friendship Gathering's so much in the past.

We can all learn something from each other regardless of lineage or style.

Good luck with training

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Cheers

Bully

Thats great you got the training sorted , nothing bloody worse than wanting to train and having no one to train with.

Any training info I put on here you can do with as you wish , thats why I put it up , so the Chunners on here could use it as a supplement to their training.

But if I see a boxed set of DVD's coming out titled Bully's Secret Combat Wing Chun Training Drills then I will have to insist on my cut of the profits lol.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, cheers MJM...the only things Im good at are eating and drinking...so maybe Bullys recipe book or a beer tasting DVD:)

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats great your training again !
After a couple of weeks off through bereavement, we had a couple beginners in class, so went over the basics, 4 windows, terms and techniques, always enjoy.

TinTin_57

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of bruising....Domino, how's the chest bruising coming along? How dare your training partner take it out on you in such a fashion? Ahem (cough)

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of bruising....Domino, how's the chest bruising coming along? How dare your training partner take it out on you in such a fashion? Ahem (cough)
hahaha I remember that but thats ok mayn !
Sifu was striking there explaining something tonight, nice :)