1st Wing Chun class in a long time

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had my first WC class in a good 18 months last night. What amazed me was how none of it had gone, how it seemed so natural. The stance, the moves, all very simple, all very direct.

My Sifu was pleased to see me, he's a really nice guy, good teacher, humble, knows when to train, knows when to add an anecdote to relieve the training session etc. Had a good warm up, chain punching, press-ups and stomach crunches galore. We're encouraged to get together as a group and do our own training prior to his arrival, so we don't use so much time during official class time.

We did a few basic drills, not much pak-ing, no pad work last night (phew - :)). Came to lap sau, and although I remembered the positioning, just, my drill was all over the place. Any tips/suggestions?

This morning I'm pleased to report that I feel pretty good. A little achey, but in a positive way. One thing I noticed is that I felt so invigorated when I got home last night, I didn't get a moments sleep, lay there all night until the wifes alarm clock went off. That. Wasn't so good.

Who else has had a recent 1st time or 1st time back to WC class, and how did it go for you?

H

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my first one for 12 years last year.

Oh how it hurt.

On a more positive note....

My play sparring was ok and bong/tan was still there. Aim was a little off as was footwork.

Dan chi sao was awful as was most other drills. My legs burned as did my shoulders.

I had to stop after 3 months as the guy teaching stopped and my back gave up. Had an op on my back 7 months ago and have been using WC as recovery....but mostly doing drills and messing around on my dummy.

Classes are due to restart any day with a different guy, I am waiting for a text. If they dont then I dont know what to do. In the mean time I have been circuit training which incorparates some Karate kicks, block and punches (Dan grade guy takes the class before he teaches Karate!! Mega fit). When he isnt looking I slip into WC punches, and bongs etc where ever I can.

Enjoy your training and the fact you have someone to train you.

Keep us posted with your progress.

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Had my first one for 12 years last year.

Oh how it hurt.

On a more positive note....

My play sparring was ok and bong/tan was still there. Aim was a little off as was footwork.

Dan chi sao was awful as was most other drills. My legs burned as did my shoulders.

I had to stop after 3 months as the guy teaching stopped and my back gave up. Had an op on my back 7 months ago and have been using WC as recovery....but mostly doing drills and messing around on my dummy.

Classes are due to restart any day with a different guy, I am waiting for a text. If they dont then I dont know what to do. In the mean time I have been circuit training which incorparates some Karate kicks, block and punches (Dan grade guy takes the class before he teaches Karate!! Mega fit). When he isnt looking I slip into WC punches, and bongs etc where ever I can.

Enjoy your training and the fact you have someone to train you.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Hey, sorry to hear about the disruption to your training, it must be damned frustrating?!? I think any training is better than none, so having access and the knowledge to be able to use a wooden dummy is better than nothing I guess?

Is there only one WC class in your area? I'm lucky, I've a couple of classes in jujutsu/karate local to me, so I have alternatives if I couldn't go to WC. That said, it's WC or bust for me. ;)

I'm starting jujustu this Thursday, so will see how that blends with the WC. Will be good to use my WC on them... :D Kidding.

Cheers Bully, hope you get it sorted mate.

H

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried another WC school Last year. Just to see what it would be like. It was pretty cool. They did both Hung Gar and WC. The WC drills were pretty easy since I practice WC alot. But I havent really been practicing the Hung Gar like I did in High school I mostly concentrate on WC and lately been learning Tai Chi while expanding my WC. But the killer was the hung gar stances. I was pretty cool in cat stance and hanging horse stance. What got me was trying to hold a really low horse stance for ten minutes. I now only practice it low for two to three minutes so I can have time to practice everything else. So holding it for ten minutes with one iron ring on my arm started taking a toll. But the Horse stance I was cool with. I actually totally stop practicing crossing horse and holding it for years. That stance had my legs aching. But I refuse to give up. Now it was funny because the seniors in the class legs were shaking...they were coming up out that high stance...an they had a look of angony on their faces. I am out practice on the hung gar stuff. But I wasnt in that much pain. An if I had been going to school three nights a week along with practicing at home on my own after about two months holding each stance for ten to twenty minutes wouldnt be bad at all.

But I felt ashamed that I let my self get that weak in my legs...I have been working more on root in Hung Gar stances lately too.

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I tried another WC school Last year. Just to see what it would be like. It was pretty cool. They did both Hung Gar and WC. The WC drills were pretty easy since I practice WC alot. But I havent really been practicing the Hung Gar like I did in High school I mostly concentrate on WC and lately been learning Tai Chi while expanding my WC. But the killer was the hung gar stances. I was pretty cool in cat stance and hanging horse stance. What got me was trying to hold a really low horse stance for ten minutes. I now only practice it low for two to three minutes so I can have time to practice everything else. So holding it for ten minutes with one iron ring on my arm started taking a toll. But the Horse stance I was cool with. I actually totally stop practicing crossing horse and holding it for years. That stance had my legs aching. But I refuse to give up. Now it was funny because the seniors in the class legs were shaking...they were coming up out that high stance...an they had a look of angony on their faces. I am out practice on the hung gar stuff. But I wasnt in that much pain. An if I had been going to school three nights a week along with practicing at home on my own after about two months holding each stance for ten to twenty minutes wouldnt be bad at all.

But I felt ashamed that I let my self get that weak in my legs...I have been working more on root in Hung Gar stances lately too.

I fancied having a go at other KF styles, there are very few near me though. So, WC it is. I was training my legs the other night, and boy oh boy are they sore now. We do, as part of our warm up, a sit down rowing type exercise, which is a total killer after crunches and pressups. :D

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
After awhile your body will adjust an you will have to add more reps to get the same feel!!!!

I fancied having a go at other KF styles, there are very few near me though. So, WC it is. I was training my legs the other night, and boy oh boy are they sore now. We do, as part of our warm up, a sit down rowing type exercise, which is a total killer after crunches and pressups. :D

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After awhile your body will adjust an you will have to add more reps to get the same feel!!!!

:D Yep, tell me about it. That's happening already. I was doing the same reps as I was a week or two ago last night, and it little affect, so had to increase them. Thing is, I like the burn, it's a good pain. Does that make me odd? :D

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I fancied having a go at other KF styles, there are very few near me though. So, WC it is... :D

Everybody wants to train several styles. Assuming you've got the time. money and energy (which frankly, I don't), how would you keep them all straight in your head? I mean, isn't the beauty of WC/WT its simplicity?

Unlike its more complicated cousins among the Southern Chinese "short-bridge" systems (Fukien white crane, pak mei, hakka, etc.) WC/WT has paired down it's techniques and forms to the essentials so that you can learn it relatively quickly, and apply it instinctively and automatically. Now I support the concept of functional crosstraining and would like to gain a working knowledge of practical arts that are distinct in focus and complement WC/WT (such as BJJ). But on the other hand, wouldn't trying to learn other overlapping Kung fu systems be counterproductive?

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Everybody wants to train several styles. Assuming you've got the time. money and energy (which frankly, I don't), how would you keep them all straight in your head? I mean, isn't the beauty of WC/WT its simplicity?

Unlike its more complicated cousins among the Southern Chinese "short-bridge" systems (Fukien white crane, pak mei, hakka, etc.) WC/WT has paired down it's techniques and forms to the essentials so that you can learn it relatively quickly, and apply it instinctively and automatically. Now I support the concept of functional crosstraining and would like to gain a working knowledge of practical arts that are distinct in focus and complement WC/WT (such as BJJ). But on the other hand, wouldn't trying to learn other overlapping Kung fu systems be counterproductive?

I think it's more a question of experiencing them and seeing whether anything could be taken from them, perhaps adding to my Wing Chun? I don't see why, if Wing Chun is so simple, which I agree, it is, that there'd be anything to confuse? Something to dabble in I should say? I guess it's only counterproductive in learning different styles of KF, if you see it as such. I don't. :) I think the point I made about having a go at KF styles was also prior to my starting in WC.

Your first point though, I totally agree with, I have neither the time or the money to do this, so, as I said, Wing Chun is perfect for me.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha Ha...I think to keep challenging your self an making your self push pass your limit will only make you better.

:D Yep, tell me about it. That's happening already. I was doing the same reps as I was a week or two ago last night, and it little affect, so had to increase them. Thing is, I like the burn, it's a good pain. Does that make me odd? :D

I think training two Kung Fu styles could be beneficial. For instance you have both the hardness of Hung Gar and sensitivity of WC working for you. That could be a major benefit. Or what about Crossing traing Long Fist and WC. So you have both close range and long range fightingt tactics that you can use to make it hard for a skilled fighter to adjust. I personally don't like BJJ so cross training BJJ or any western martial art wouldnt work for me. Because I would have no interest or desire. But training another style like Crane or Snake would benefit my WC in the long run. I might have over night benefits but in years to come training a second art would strengthen my Wing Chun. Because I would have other techniques to use against a fighter. I could masked my WC using another style first. An when the opponent is in clinch range I use my Wing Chun to end the fight quickly.

So I see great benefits in cross training other styles. My Sifu used to study Tiger and Crane long before he learn WC. He told me its great to have second Kung Fu style to complement your WC like Tai Chi or Choy li Fut. He even said once TKD also compliments Wing Chun really well. You just have to adjust the TKD for street fighting. But if you been sparring and training basics long enough converting TKD into a combat style shouldnt be to hard. If you study, take notes and practice.

geezer said

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Coming out of traditional Tae Kwon Do years before I had to un-learn hard power and learn relaxation,the two did not mix.GGM Leung Tings Wing Tsun,
Sifu Emins EBMAS are all about relaxing and building on springy flexible power
any hard forceable tension equals defeat,just ask one of the senior students or an instructor.Working in a machine shop makes it somewhat difficult for me
so I had to figure out how to rid myself of tension,I discovered that while practicing the tension was in my mind,true where the mind goes the body will follow.Ask Geezer about the extensors and contractors,I'm sure he will be more than glad to help you in this one.No I would not recommend training hard style and spring style.Two cents......

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do you think it would be bad to crosstrain a hard style with soft style?

Wouldn't combining both be a benefit?

Coming out of traditional Tae Kwon Do years before I had to un-learn hard power and learn relaxation,the two did not mix.GGM Leung Tings Wing Tsun,
Sifu Emins EBMAS are all about relaxing and building on springy flexible power
any hard forceable tension equals defeat,just ask one of the senior students or an instructor.Working in a machine shop makes it somewhat difficult for me
so I had to figure out how to rid myself of tension,I discovered that while practicing the tension was in my mind,true where the mind goes the body will follow.Ask Geezer about the extensors and contractors,I'm sure he will be more than glad to help you in this one.No I would not recommend training hard style and spring style.Two cents......

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
:D Sorry guys, I've just spent the last week (nearly) away doing some graduate training with my company. Only got back late last night (UK time).

I'm off to my second class on Monday, as I was unable to train this week due to being away. That said, the hotel we stayed in had a great full length mirror, and, I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few occassions that I performed the SLT all the way through. :D

I'm now full of aches and pains of all the practical leadership tests we did, and the early morning physical training. Feeling ready to go though for this Monday, have planned to cross train in JJJ over the next fortnight. The class I've found incorporates some decent amount of grappling and knife defences etc, and isn't too flashy or impractical as one particular JJJ class I trained years ago.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like fun...enjoy your class. Sorry to hear about your forced haitus. Ha ha...welcome back Hagakaru!

:D Sorry guys, I've just spent the last week (nearly) away doing some graduate training with my company. Only got back late last night (UK time).

I'm off to my second class on Monday, as I was unable to train this week due to being away. That said, the hotel we stayed in had a great full length mirror, and, I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few occassions that I performed the SLT all the way through. :D

I'm now full of aches and pains of all the practical leadership tests we did, and the early morning physical training. Feeling ready to go though for this Monday, have planned to cross train in JJJ over the next fortnight. The class I've found incorporates some decent amount of grappling and knife defences etc, and isn't too flashy or impractical as one particular JJJ class I trained years ago.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only sad one on here.

Just got back from a weeks holiday in Cyprus...

Walking through Gatwick North with my luggage doing Huen Sau's until my wife asked me what I was doing...didnt even realise I was doing it.

Hotel had a pretty good gym so to cool down from cardio sessions after stretching I practiced SLT, got a few strange looks from the locals but hey they wont ever see me again...right??

Even got a few chain punch sessions in.

Nice to be back to the dreary weather.:)

OP
Hagakure

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I went last night, and boooy am I bruised this morning.

Doing some soft tan's as blocks, and I caught my training partner beautifully, but seem to have picked up a lump/bruise on the fleshy side part of my left hand.

Loved it. Last night was intense. Full on attacks, got caught in the face by my training partner, who's quite a large chap. Bigger than me anyway. I'm 6'3" and around 205 pounds, so I was chuffed when we were doing attack defend drills. The drill was, one attacked, one defended, the attacker could use a hook/haymaker type punch, from any range, and we had to block and counter. The added spice was that the attacker didn't have to declare which arm was being used. Sifu came round and stayed with everyone for a few minutes and made sure that the attacks were full pelt. So... That was interesting. :D

Spent more time going over SLT last night too, we had a very intense class that ended with around 5-10 minutes of SLT, which as I've mentioned on other threads, is unusual for us. A great end to a great session.

H

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I went last night, and boooy am I bruised this morning.

Doing some soft tan's as blocks, and I caught my training partner beautifully, but seem to have picked up a lump/bruise on the fleshy side part of my left hand.

Loved it. Last night was intense. Full on attacks, got caught in the face by my training partner, who's quite a large chap. Bigger than me anyway. I'm 6'3" and around 205 pounds, so I was chuffed when we were doing attack defend drills. The drill was, one attacked, one defended, the attacker could use a hook/haymaker type punch, from any range, and we had to block and counter. The added spice was that the attacker didn't have to declare which arm was being used. Sifu came round and stayed with everyone for a few minutes and made sure that the attacks were full pelt. So... That was interesting. :D

Spent more time going over SLT last night too, we had a very intense class that ended with around 5-10 minutes of SLT, which as I've mentioned on other threads, is unusual for us. A great end to a great session.

H

Did the attackers have arm pads on mate , I found in the past that partners if they haven't got arm protection on will do the first attack at full pelt and then each successive strike will be softer and softer because their sick of getting there arm hurt .

So when we really wanted to pressure test the integrity of a deflection we'd get the partner to put two arm pads on one arm and then he could wail away as hard as he could .

It really honed your concentration skills too because you knew if you messed up the deflection you were likely to get your head taken off , but it also did a lot for your confidence knowing that your deflections could withstand that much force without collapsing .

Latest Discussions