1st tournament sparring - advice please? :)

chanmi

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I'm a yellow belt and recently had my first tournament sparring match (ITF). I'm in a remote area so the tournament wasn't that big. There were only 2 weight divisions for females and they put all coloured belts together. This meant that I ended up sparring a couple of girls who were a lot taller and heavier than me.

My 1st match was against another yellow belt several inches taller than me. She started landing turning kicks to the body right away. With her longer reach, I couldn't get close enough to kick back. After about half a minute I figured out she was ONLY using turning kick. I started baiting her turning kick by coming close, then as soon as she went for it I slid in front of the kick and punched to the face and chest. A couple of times I had time to land a kick too. So that was all fine and I won the first match.

Next, I'm up against a red belt probably 5-6 inches taller and a LOT heavier. I figured I'd go for the bait and counter strategy that worked against the yellow belt. Unfortunately, this girl was doing a strong side kick. I couldn't slide in front of the side kick like I could with the turning kick and I ended up getting totally hammered. She pushed me to the edges of the ring and then kicked or punched, forcing me to step out. I ended up spending most of the match skipping round the edge of the ring while this girl forced me into the corners, I couldn't get any space as she would just drive me back again. (she also kicked really hard and got 2 fouls for excessive contact, so I was a total mess by the end of it!!!!)

My question is: what do you do in the situation that they're longer reach and heavier? Baiting worked with the yellow belt who only had a couple of attacks to use, but I couldn't get anywhere near the red belt. Any advice is appreciated!!!!!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not as you were going backwards with the bait were you turning off? Or going straight back.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are lots of things you can do, but as with anything they're going to require practice.
Try redirecting the kick to the side. You only have to alter the angle slightly for it to miss you. Move in as you redirect the kick.

Kartate_student7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok so my Sensei always told me to move around a circle is your best friend, fight like your in a phone booth,
For the longer reach issue baiting is good, I'm assuming it's a 3 point fight so get in get your point and get out! And don't feel bad if a girl beats you lol it happens bro good luck on your next tourny!

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
circling is definitely better than backing up - it's unfortunate you had to 'fight up' against
a red belt at your rank, but - having been there - it is a good learning experience!!
Work on your foot work and if you can maneuver to throw them - a good hook or back kick
can work well..

OP
C

chanmi

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone I will try all your suggestions. I am a girl though karate_student7 so I guess I don't mind if I get beat by one lol

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bear in mind if you try to circle from to far back they can adjust. The circle should almost be a pivot. Like a bull fighter.

The circle from the outside is just to find a place on the mat you like.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just have fun and learn from your first few tournaments.
Im not sure about the rules you fought under but blocking or deflecting a kick or punch and the attacking or attacking first always worked for me.
Go to the side not backwards

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Along with being shorter and lighter, you also had a significant disadvantage in experience. That's a rough match. If I was coaching the red belt I would've have told her to do exactly what she did. Put the pressure on and see if the yellow belt can handle it.

Something that comes with time and practice is learning to control distance. As the shorter fighter you either need to be in where her long legs aren't effective, or out at a distance where you can read the attack.

My instructor always told me to never take more than two steps backwards. After two steps, you usually end up just going straight back and the opponent just chases you down. So when you spar or practice footwork on your own, tell yourself after the first step back (step left, step right, jam, or counter). And don't beat yourself up, it takes a while to get it.

Latest Discussions