Need some help fellas....

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Several days ago I posted that I thought I may have fractured my shin near my ankle. It turns out that it was just a muscle bruise.

Well yesterday, the same thing happened again. This time, its my other leg. I was sparring with the same person WITH modified padding. I had purchased instep padding and added some foam padding from one of my old motorcycle pants. Basically there was twice the padding, yet I still managed to take a nice hit to the same area, near the shin bone, above and forward of my ankle (where the padding was).

Okay as my sig states one more time and I'll go down LOL. My question:

The fighter is taller then me about 4-5-6 inches. He's a blue with 2 stripes whereas I'm a yellow. He is lean, not too terribly quick and seems to be toying with me. I did notice how he was inflicting damage on me. He raises his knee to block my side kicks. To me, when we spar, he is like a wall. I cannot land anything unless I sort of come in close and get him with a lucky spinning back kick as we move away.

How does one go about sparring/fighting a taller adversary? My side kicks are about waist high and ineffective against him. Approaches, tactics and experiences are most welcome. Oh, don't say kick higher as that will not happen for a while :(. Thank you in advance!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to work on your entry footwork. use your front leg front kick like a jab,...throw it, side step and look for an opening. Mix that in with feints and such to get him out of position.

Jam him up close, and get him with a few of those back kicks...that'll get him moving backwards when you close...you cna then lead with your "jab" then maybe throw a flurry roundhouse kicks until he goes out of the ring?

hard to give really specific advice without seeing how this guy moves.

basically, work on getting to the side or behind him before hitting him with the hard shots. Use lighter wuicker shots to keep him occupied, moving and frustrated.

Peace,
Erik

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you develop powerful blocks and a quick reverse punch, you can have good success against kickers. Most people are at their most vulnerable when kicking. If you can get a good repelling block on their attack, they'll usually be spun around a bit and you can crash in with a punch to the midsection or to the head. The point is to make them regret throwing that leg out, particularly if it is just one of those weak, exploratory, jabbing kicks.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Being taller than you and you not being able to kick high means that they have a longer range than you. Read up on the "8 ranges of combat" for a primer.

You are going to have to fight in close, if you keep your distance you will lose. Remember, punching can score points and it will also cause an opponent to back up if you do it right. A backfist to the chest plate followed by a powerful punch will push back lighter opponents especially if you push with the punch.

You are going to have to take some flak getting inside them but that is an occupational hazard of this type of fighting. Practice kicking with the bag very close to you because that is what you are going to have to do, get in past their kicking zone and then strike from inside.

Try some "moving combinations" where not only do you string kicks together but, as a result of the kicking, you end up moving forward. That means if you do a roundhouse followed by a back kick the kicking leg for the roundhouse becomes the pivot leg for the back kick and that leg was planted firmly in front of you after the roundhouse. They are going to end up moving backwards so you are going to have to string a few together to get to them.

I am assuming that when they kick they put one or two kicks together then jump backwards. What you do is when they start attacking you start countering but do not aim at where they are, aim at where they will be after they jump backwards (or sideways). Your slower reaction time will allow them to jump into your kick. If you counter with a couple of moving combinations you will either run into them (punch the chest plate) or they will back into your kicks.

Through all of this you have to remember the "ranges of combat". Fight them in your ideal range not theirs.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You've already got very good advice, but I'll add this: If an opponent has a significant height advantage and is as fast or faster than you, your best bet may be to work on your counters. I tend to be a defensive fighter, and I can block, parry and counter more effectively than I outright attack. The advantage is that when someone attacks, they are more open than when they're not. Take advantage of that.

Focus on your footwork and distance sense. Ranges of combat has already been brought up, and is vital to sparring. You need to at least, get a good feel for his strike zone so that you can work the angles without getting clobbered. Equally important is to determine your own strike zone; the distance from which you can effectively strike without overextenting and leaving yourself exceptionally open.

Lastly, work on your infighting. I'm a tall guy (6'4), so I can say from experience that in WTF style sparring, it is a must that I maintain an effective distance, as I can't elbow or knee an opponent under that rule set. If you're inside you can take advantage of that.

Daniel

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just want to throw this out there, too...

I tend to fight defensively as well, like Daniel was talking about. But, in addition to fighting defensively, I also like to make my opponent fight the way I want them to fight.

There is something I like to do to control the fight: I'm aggressive without attacking. I like to cut the ring off of my opponent, but I don't have to attack while I'm doing this. I'm simply pressing forward, even if they're bigger than I am...if you start trying this, it could work for you.

However, you still need to be able to move quickly and get out of the way of any oncoming attacks, and work on your defense. I've always been a fan of the saying "The best offense is a good defense."

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Being you are a TKD player, how is you sliding side kick? That is one of the best ways for a shorter player to close the gap on a taller one. You basically get into hand range and keep jamming up his kicks. If he can't kick, his range advantage is taken away. With a sliding side kick, the chamber isn't as deep at a long or instant side kick, and allows you to close the gap between you, and even machine gun the kicks.

Latest Discussions