Sparring against a heavier or taller opponent?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been push-kicked hard by a taller opponent trying to keep me from getting inside, and it can be quite effective; but it has to be fast or I'll slip it like I would a punch; I'm not quick, but I seem to have a knack for catching kicks as they're thrown. And I *love* to see the look on a tall guy's face when I jam his kick and raise it over his head while moving in with the opposite side straight punch. He's going over backwards and he knows it at that point. If a tall guy can effectively keep my outside, they can destroy me. So I try very hard to get inside those long arms and legs.

I like the push kick as an offensive tactic in sparring as part of a combo, rather than as a reactive counter. Get him to cover up top with some punches and then go for the set up push kick. Even if you don't land it flush, frequently you can get the other guy moving towards a direction you want him too, perhaps off-balanced. After that, you can close in for a decisive barrage of strikes if you're sparring for points. It can be really effective if you are near a wall where you can use it to close off one side of the opponent.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the push kick as an offensive tactic in sparring as part of a combo, rather than as a reactive counter. Get him to cover up top with some punches and then go for the set up push kick. Even if you don't land it flush, frequently you can get the other guy moving towards a direction you want him too, perhaps off-balanced. After that, you can close in for a decisive barrage of strikes if you're sparring for points. It can be really effective if you are near a wall where you can use it to close off one side of the opponent.

Sounds like it could be quite effective. It has always seemed to me that most people develop a range they feel comfortable sparring at. And in my (not expert) experience, it seems to me that taller people tend to want to keep their opponents in the range where they can use their longer legs and arms to best advantage, which is quite sensible. Being only 5' 10" tall, (which used to be average but now is shorter as people have gotten taller) and heavy, I find I can do my 'best work' way way inside, where those long arms and legs can't develop full extension and power against me.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You just reminded me of a devastating technique pulled out of Isshin-Ryu's Chinto kata; the downward x-block. I was shown it does not have to be a block as much as a double-handed attack. Delivered against a rising kick where the knee is still coming up, one hand delivers a hammer fist to the inside of the knee, the other delivers a straight punch to the hip of the same leg. Those of you who do Isshin-Ryu probably know who taught this bunkai. It really opened my eyes; if you can deliver an x-block, you can perform this technique and OMG it's a killer. Imagine having your kick knocked outside (exposing you to all kinds of counter-attacks) while at the same instant, a solid short straight punch to your hip drives you back and downward off-balance. It's like 'game over' in one counter to a kick. Victor Smith, you know who shows this one, right?

In Hapkido I learned a cross block to the shin as a defense against a snap kick. The fists are doubled until the forearms contact the shin. It is rather benign to the arms, but tends to be quite painful to the shin. You then open the hands and grab the back of the shin/ankle, lifting it up and to the side, powering it with your left knee, probably dislocating the opponent's knee. Continuing the action as the opponent falls, spin around, fall on the leg, pulling it back, optionally strike the opponent's back with a free elbow.

For dancingalone - Stepping forward to the left as I raise my left hand, I can smash down on your thigh with my elbow, on the pressure point just above the knee. Hard to spar/fight when one leg doesn't want to hold your weight. EDIT: Sorry, meant to add the hook of the leg with the opposite hand to ensure I have a target that won't move downward until I release it.

Side stepping forward to the left and hooking your left leg (assuming that is the one kicking, if not reverse this) in my right arm, I can do several variations of what Bill has talked about to throw an opponent backward and step forward into a heel down (axe) kick as he attempts to rise, or grab his knee with my left hand a wrench it left.

If a side kick, I can step back and use a circular strike coming upside down with my knuckles on the ankle bone. Or I can left step forward knife striking the back of the calf with my right hand, while moving my left hand under the leg and sudo striking the front of the leg. As the opponent attempts to remove his leg, my hands are in a perfect position to grab his heel with my right hand, and the top of his instep with my left, pulling his instep down as I push up on his heel. The leg is pulled down and rotated left at the same time. Ankle, knee, or hip, or some combination of the three, will suffer damage.

As with all, directions given for a right kick will work just as well reversed for a left kick.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Assuming Im Visualising this Correctly, I was (Well, WE were) Practicing a Similar Technique last Thursday. In which Case, my Appreciation of Isshin-Ryu has grown a little more :)

In Chinto, we have several x-blocks. Two upper body (open hands) and two lower body (fists).

This is Angi Uezu Sensei performing Chinto. The block I am talking about comes at 31 seconds and 33 seconds. I was shown to convert the 'block' (blocking a kick in the 'x' of my crossed fists) into an attack, hammer-fist to the inside of the attacker's knee while at the same moment punching straight down into his kicking leg's hip. It would look like the same movement; two fists in an X pattern, but instead of blocking the kick, they're attacking from two directions and delivered in two locations at the same time. Since you are 'turning into the block' you have power generation coming from your own hips to throw those bad boys with a lot of smoke on them. In our kata, we chamber the fists on the right hip momentarily before turning into the incoming attack (the kick) and delivering with power generated from our hips.

I had it done to me lightly as an example. It hurts a lot and you have no idea what just happened to you from the point of view of the attacker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Chinto, we have several x-blocks. Two upper body (open hands) and two lower body (fists).

This is Angi Uezu Sensei performing Chinto. The block I am talking about comes at 31 seconds and 33 seconds. I was shown to convert the 'block' (blocking a kick in the 'x' of my crossed fists) into an attack, hammer-fist to the inside of the attacker's knee while at the same moment punching straight down into his kicking leg's hip. It would look like the same movement; two fists in an X pattern, but instead of blocking the kick, they're attacking from two directions and delivered in two locations at the same time. Since you are 'turning into the block' you have power generation coming from your own hips to throw those bad boys with a lot of smoke on them. In our kata, we chamber the fists on the right hip momentarily before turning into the incoming attack (the kick) and delivering with power generated from our hips.

I had it done to me lightly as an example. It hurts a lot and you have no idea what just happened to you from the point of view of the attacker.

Thats very, very close to what I Learnt. The Main Difference I see is the Stances, and the slightly more "Circular" Flow. And of course, minor Technical Variations.
I dont think i need to go into detail - It does the same thing, at about the same Speed, in *roughly* the same way.

+1 to Isshyn-Ryu :)

Last edited by a moderator:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way, for discussion's sake, how would you all try to neutralize a taller guy like me who likes to use push kicks and block/shoves to move my opponent into a disadvantageous posture or position for me to attack?
Start with checking and motion to make it harder for you to read me, but the real key is to parry/slide, using enough angle to deflect your force and get beside/behind you and counterattack. Avoiding your controlling techniques is just as important as avoiding the attacking ones that you're setting up. In the end it's whether I can make you miss and move into effective attacking range.

OP
T

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you SO MUCH everyone for the suggestion! So it seems like the common suggestion is to get closer using the angles!

I still had some trouble with this heavy guy from the Army who would just stand with his conservative guard, and play boxing everytime I came in, and he himself would not commit to any big movements. Should I have just circled him around until he misjudges, instead of going in with a spinning back kick?

And once I do get closer, I find that I cannot win the boxing game because he would push and kick me while he is fading out, and constantly create more distance even before I can do anything. Any help/suggestions? If you happen to remember a video of a match or anything, it would be GREATLY appreciate it too :)

Thank you so much everyone! I now have more confidence in fighting bigger guys, and I shall soon avenge my bloody nose and lips :/

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you SO MUCH everyone for the suggestion! So it seems like the common suggestion is to get closer using the angles!

I still had some trouble with this heavy guy from the Army who would just stand with his conservative guard, and play boxing everytime I came in, and he himself would not commit to any big movements. Should I have just circled him around until he misjudges, instead of going in with a spinning back kick?

And once I do get closer, I find that I cannot win the boxing game because he would push and kick me while he is fading out, and constantly create more distance even before I can do anything. Any help/suggestions? If you happen to remember a video of a match or anything, it would be GREATLY appreciate it too :)

Thank you so much everyone! I now have more confidence in fighting bigger guys, and I shall soon avenge my bloody nose and lips :/

Now you tell us this.

Just DONT get Stuck at an Infighting Range. It can be very, very Hard to Out-Infight A Boxer. Infighting Distance is with your Heads Close, but your Feet about 15-30CM apart (As in, his from yours). Thats a Recipe for being Pommeled.

And Charging in with Spinning Anythings is a Horrible Idea, since it Exposes your Back. :)
Like I say, Clinch if you need to. Dont worry about Points. You need to Wear Him Down a bit before you start Engaging.
And Jamming his Attacks will work wonders.
If you arent familiar with Jamming attacks, Google it, or PM Myself, or any of the others whove suggested it. Its a very useful Tactic :)

Otherwise, just Remember; The Head is quite possibly the Worst Target. Because you have to Aim Up.
You get more Power in Parallel Strikes. Attack the Pectoral Muscles, and Ribs.
And when you see an Opportunity (As oppose to by standard), Attack the Head.

If he Guards High, Upset Punching.
Guards Low, Midsection Hooks.
Dont rush for the Head, because if his Hands are Low, he can drive them into your Torso.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

This helps a lot more, as you give us more to work with. #1 is to talk with your master, who knows both of you and can give better specific advice than we can without seeing you and your opponent in action. It sounds like your opponent understands his advantages and uses them effectively. Two suggestions: 1) protect your head by keeping your guard up, and 2) same angling idea applies for hands and feet. If you stay in front of him, he can hit you with both hands and both feet. Your entries (moving in) should be to the outside whenever possible to take away one of his hands and feet.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sounds good to me. Be sure to read Cyriacus and StudentCarl above.

It might be worth trying his tactic of waiting for you to commit against him. Don't attack him. See how long it takes him to give up and attack you. Don't his boxing tactics if you are not a boxer. As MA, we tend not to do well against boxers until we get very used to it. If he is ameanable, do try and get him to show you some defenses against boxing attacks. Angles are a big part of that.

As I said, don't try to outbox him unless you are a confident boxer. You may need to work on your speed. Usually smaller people can use that as an advantage against larger people. Either he is exceptionally fast, or you slow, or a combination of both.

Their really is no reason you should fear bigger guys. I think you have identified one of the better tactics - confidence. Use it.

Latest Discussions