1st Dan...

At what age did you recieve your 1st Dan Black Belt?

• Less than 10

• 11 to 20

• 21 to 30

• 31 to 40

• 41 to 50

• 51 to 60

• 61 to 70

• 71 to 80

• OMG greater than 80!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well i just got my brown sash a month before my 28th birthday which is coming soon, so i guess 1st dan will take maybe 1-2 years!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm only a red belt (TKD), but rumor as it that I will be testing this fall (05) at the age of 30. That would be about 5 years total training time (two arts).

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh... don't have it yet? Probably late next year.

~ Loki

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i dont have mine yet, but im thinking pry a year and half or two years (summers off and college life)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Best time to start anything is when you want too!

Other times is because you want your kids to learn the martial arts. This means Dad's and Mom's signing up too.

Got my first Black Belt in Stotokan Karate at 42 years old. In Universal Kempo -Karate at age 48.

There is no age limit to start learning. It is alot harder physically. You can not go back in time. You just start when you want too! It is just after the training next morning getting up you realize " Can I still go on?" Body takes a longer time to recover. Yep! Love it and dumb enough to go on!

It's the looking back to see where you started and realize if is lifetime journey. Can't quit now? Gotta keep on going! .......Aloha

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was 17 when I got my black belt in tkd. I was so happy when I got it that I cried. The year between my red belt black stripe and my black was the longest year of my life. LOL

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
started at age 22
received 1st dan at 26
2nd dan at 29
3rd at 32
now my 4th at 36 just last December

Inside still feel like a teenager :rolleyes:

R

rainbows

Got my kenpo junior black at 16, and I'm grading for my 1st dan in TKD on Sunday. I'll be 21 in 2 months. (bignick - snap! :) )

S

sweetpea0525

If everything goes as planned, I will be getting promoted to first dan in August of this year. I started when I was fifteen and I will be twenty in about 3 weeks.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
sweetpea0525 said:
If everything goes as planned, I will be getting promoted to first dan in August of this year. I started when I was fifteen and I will be twenty in about 3 weeks.
good luck with that!
tell us how it goes

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sweetpea0525 said:
Good luck!

R

rainbows

Samantha said:
good luck with that!
tell us how it goes
Passed it!!! :boing2: Now to go :drinkbeer: and relax for a while! (though my inner training addict wants to be back in the dojang tomorrow...)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
spill!

we want details!

how'd it go? How long did it last? did anyone watch? who tested you?

R

rainbows

The test went OK, I was happy with pretty much everything except my breaking (but I was kinda expecting that).
There were 35 people doing the test, 30 grading to 1st dan, 3 grading to 2nd dan and 2 grading to 3rd dan. The only people allowed watch were family members of the participants (with such a big testing group, that's kinda understandable). It was the head instructor of my association and 5 other 4th/5th dans conducting the test.
The test started with patterns, running from Chon-Ji to Choong-Moo. Then non-contact sparring (3-steps, one steps and free). After that came self-defence techniques, demonstrating escapes from grabs and using locks. Then 6 rounds of sparring (and I got kicked in the shin in my last spar, aggravating a minor injury I'd picked up on Thursday), then breaking. 4 breaks. Turning kick, 2 boards, side piercing kick, 3 boards, jumping side kick from parallel stance, 1 board and front elbow strike, 2 boards. It took me a couple of attempts to break with the turning kick, but I got them all in the end. Then theory, and a bit of an anxious wait.
But at about 1pm, I found out I'd passed, and now I'm 1st dan. :)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow! thats a lot of people all at once! congrats!

did anyone not pass?

R

rainbows

One guy failed, but he was really bad. He made big mistakes in blue belt patterns and didn't land the jump in his grading pattern. (ITF peeps know EXACTLY what I'm on about here) and he sparred really badly.

Latest Discussions