1st Dan...

At what age did you recieve your 1st Dan Black Belt?

• Less than 10

• 11 to 20

• 21 to 30

• 31 to 40

• 41 to 50

• 51 to 60

• 61 to 70

• 71 to 80

• OMG greater than 80!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just curious to see at what age the people here recieved their 1st Dan Black Belt. Also, I would like to hear from the older ones at what age you started. This is also an attempt to make myself feel better about not starting as a child. Thanks for the votes!!!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I received my 1st Dan at 15, which I think is around the ideal age. Old enough to be effective and know better, not old enough to be a prisoner of my own body.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
hm, don't have one. I'm 16 at the moment... wonder how old I'll be when I get mine?

I'm not particularly worried about it though.

Satt, how old were you when you started? and how old are you now?

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was 45, my son 16. I think you appreciate it more at 45 but your body is surely more cooperative at 16.

Jeff

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got my 1st BB at the age of 16 in shotokan

and my 2nd BB at 17 in Shorinryu.
I actually began traing in the MA at the age of 6,but I started Shotokan at 12 and shorinryu at the same age.
I am working towards my 3rd and 4th BB's as we speak in philipino arts.
I have studied several different arts over the years,but never tested in them.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was 17 for my Okinawa 1st degree and 22 for my TKD 1st dan I just recieved my forth last december and boy do I wish I would have done it sooner, I was sore for almost two months from that test. by the way I'm 45 now.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to study karate around 10 years old, all those kung fu movies, but when I grew up more,ang got more serious I decided to find a school. At 32 I am not the only white belt in class.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't have one, but I am guessing it will be between 31 and 40.

I am currently 29, for a couple of more months at least.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tested for recommended BB at age 50 in July in the 90's with no air conditioning and nothing was shortened. My dobok was soaked. But the 1st dan was in April at age 51, natural a/c, so much better. But agree, I would have done this a little earlier if I had gotten into it earlier. But was running races most of the time when I was younger or doing aerobic dance. TW

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After a couple of false starts in my 20s, I started my current art at 31 and and received my BB at 38.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After 11 years I tested for 1st dan in August '91, I was 27 years old (please don't do the reverse math). On a football field in 100 degree heat, after a timed run, pushups and situps, Horse Stance the requirements of the system. Came fighting 10 guys full contact, no pads (kyokushin rules). I had sore spots for like a years after (Shuto to the back of neck in particular). after that was Board breaking, then zazen meditation (try that position afer absorbing umpteen leg kicks). The day before were all day classes in the same heat

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Samantha said:
hm, don't have one. I'm 16 at the moment... wonder how old I'll be when I get mine?

I'm not particularly worried about it though.

Satt, how old were you when you started? and how old are you now?
Well, I have been piddleing around with MA since I was little, but never became serious until about the last year. When I was around 8 I tried the kid style Karate thing and then as I got older I tried Shotokan, Shootfighting, and Tracy Kenpo for a few months. Now that I am actually getting serious about it I am starting in Budo Taijutsu. My favorite before Taijutsu was Kenpo though. I am now 25 and I just wanted to see how old I am compared to the crowd here. Thanks for your response.

Latest Discussions