1st Dan...

At what age did you recieve your 1st Dan Black Belt?

• Less than 10

• 11 to 20

• 21 to 30

• 31 to 40

• 41 to 50

• 51 to 60

• 61 to 70

• 71 to 80

• OMG greater than 80!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well I’m 33 now, I will be testing for purple on the 19th, so I am guessing I will test for 1st Dan about the time I hit 36. I really hope to test for 2nd before I hit the big 40. (I have to be ready for these young wiper snappers that will be coming around to pick up my daughters) LOL

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
(I have to be ready for these young wiper snappers that will be coming around to pick up my daughters) LOL

You mean this isn't a scene from your home?

Attachments

• $1001572340.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 129

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started outas a child - but I had one student who achieved the grade of first-grade black belt at age 60!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was 16 when I received my first black in Tracy's kenpo, the only system in which I have earned a black belt. That was about 19 years ago, and I am still first black, having drifted to other systems and not trained in Tracys in any way that would justify additional rank beyond that.

In retrospect, I think I earned it too young and too soon, but that is the way of it. My instructors made a decision, and that is that. I hope that with the training I have received since then, I have made up for any deficiencies in skill and understanding that I had at the time and deserve the rank now.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was 18 started training at 8 years old have been training 22 years this year and will start my 23rd year in November.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 30 now and just got my brown belt (just below black) a month ago. I have another year to go to test for my black belt, so I'll be 31.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't test for it last fall (as I thought in my last post). I had surgery last fall, two injuries and failed my 1st gup test (the first time around). So I'm skipping the next BB test (just recently came back to training after the recent injury). So, I might test in Dec or April. Depends on how my leg heals, and if the timing is right. So that will make 6 years (in dec) training and I'll be pushing 32 (Jan).

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
So that will make 6 years (in dec) training and I'll be pushing 32 (Jan).[/quote]

Do ya ever notice, that the older ya get ya say things like "pushing 32" rather than "almost" or "nearly" or "turning". I'm Andy Rooney:)

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
3 months after I turned 20 and it caused a scandal even though I had been training since age 8. As Bando (as per the ABA) did not give belts to children (at least when I was one) I officially went throught the ranks in two years - three years faster than the minimum required to test for black. These rules no longer exist as Bando has become more prevalent (read - comercial) in America. This summer marks my 26th year in martial arts.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't have mine yet, but I am guessing I will get it in a year or two.

- Ceicei

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got mine in 1993 when I was 39, now my goal is to be the longest continuing practicing shodan in my association.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Got mine at 41, I started training back in my 20's took a 15 year lay off and then got back into it full force in my late 30's with my kids and am still going strong.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Started training in Tae Kwon Do at age 14, and received 1st Dan at age 16. From what I've read of Won Kuk Lee's opinions about proper age to train, this is about right. I think the teen years are the best time to start, because your body has not yet stopped growing, and Tae Kwon Do can help mold it into the way it should be.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was awarded my honorary black belt a few weeks ago. I have my dan in Judo. I easily passed the oral part of the test. I am physically not able to do the physical aspect. However I was a brown, dan promotable when I retired from Judo competition.