14th Degree BlackBelt

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My Sensei ha been training all his life since he was a freshman in high school.....and now hes 40 something..........and he has never recived his black belt test....due to moving around so much cause of finantial difficulties.....but he has been training himself with other martial artists...and absorbing all the information he can about martial arts...from Akido to Boxing to even tae Kwon Do.....he has done it all....he wears a black belt of Shuhari-te...witch is his oen system now...the proof is in the pudding as someone in a previous post said so quaintly....he is a great martial artist....training is what he is all about....day in and day out...its in everything he does...I consider him a black belt...and if you met him you would say the same too. :asian:

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a PHD (Public High school Diploma) I should start putting that on my Resume :)

P

pakua

In South Africa we refer to the last year of high-school and the qualification as Matric(ulation) so we joke that people put MA on their resumes- Matric (Again).

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
Well I can't have someone as high ranking as me so I am now a 75th dan Blackbelt in Crapmando
I'd like to sign up, too. Hey, congrats on your 75th dan promotion, ppko!

K

KenpoNoChikara

Disco said:
It's a shame that people stoop to a level of foolishness to impress the uneducated. Apparently they don't realize or don't care what it makes them look like.
Well put. :asian:

Triple Master.....that's a new one......

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I hope someone in that guy's class is a MartialTalk member so they can see what people think about doctoring up a resume' like that.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
yea i have met a few shady martial arts master in michigan i try to stay away from them but also alot of good one in michigan to

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I can remember the same type of conversation going on in the 1960's, only then they were claiming to be 4,5,6,7, then 8. My instructor was the highest ranking Black belt when he stepped onto California soil, Sifu John Leoning, Kajukenbo.

Next thing you know, others were going for more rank, self promoted that is.

The more people you have in the arts the higher the rank will get.

Or should I say the ranker it gets.

Different strokes for different folks.

Regards, Gary

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of the scene from "The Great Dictator" where Hitler and Mussolini are trying to outdo each other by raising their barber chairs.
If one person is a 5th Dan, someone else must claim 7th Dan. They figure "if I'm 7th Dan, more students will be impressed with me!" So someone else must claim 8th Dan to top that. Before you know it, people are going past 10 and into the teens with phony ranks and fictitious systems. All in the name of trying to make themselves look good and drum up business and students. A few magazine covers don't hurt either.
The Buddha was right. The ego can be a nasty thing.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jakmak52 said:
I thought 10th was the highest:idunno:

You thought 10th was the highest for all arts?

You thought it was highest for your art?

You thought 10th was the highest for the person in questions' art?

Curious

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
I'd like to sign up, too. Hey, congrats on your 75th dan promotion, ppko!
For recognizing my promotion I now promote you to 20th degree blackbelt in crapmando go sit on your toilet and wait for your certificate:flushed:

O

OC Kid

Since you got a 50th degree I'll meet that and reaise ya 10 so i have a 60th degree in Kid-ryu, I cant really talk about our 5 finger dim mak but If ya send me 200 bucks I can sell ya a video.......

J

jakmak52

Rich Parsons said:
You thought 10th was the highest for all arts?

You thought it was highest for your art?

You thought 10th was the highest for the person in questions' art?

Curious
Yes to all. But I was actually referring to the person in question. Do I pass the test?:)

Nightwish

White Belt
Reaction score
phlaw said:
Ok, I realize people can have multiple belts in different styles, but have you ever seen someone total his ranking to be a 14th Degree??

Check this out

http://www.marquartstkd.com/

I thought it was kinda funny.
who cares? a black belt means nothing to someone who wants to kill you anyway.

and yes this guy is a fool.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just on BJJ.org and realized how many instructors have students who are (legitimately) ranked higher. Lloyd Irvin's instructor for example is a 4th degree black belt. HIS teacher is a 2nd degree black belt. But I bet he'd still school him.