14th Degree BlackBelt

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I realize people can have multiple belts in different styles, but have you ever seen someone total his ranking to be a 14th Degree??

Check this out

http://www.marquartstkd.com/

I thought it was kinda funny.

D

Disco

It's a shame that people stoop to a level of foolishness to impress the uneducated. Apparently they don't realize or don't care what it makes them look like.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Disco said:
It's a shame that people stoop to a level of foolishness to impress the uneducated. Apparently they don't realize or don't care what it makes them look like.
Hey that offends me:) . I am a 50th degree Blackbelt in crapmando. But in all seriousness these are the type of people that will also tell you that they have registered there deadly hands. These are the people that really get my steam rolling. I at one time had some people come in and tell me there master was a 25th degree Blackbelt :rolleyes: . Well these people did not stick around because I was just a BB and I guess it was beneath them , oh well.

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I believe the Bujinkan actually has up to a 15th dan. I've never quite been able to understand it, but then again.....no one has ever been able to really explain it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea well I got that beat I was at a tournament where the instructor sent up his son that was in the 6 and 7 year old division and he was a 4th dan at that age and his father had 12 stripes on his belt and claimed to be a 12th degree certified instructor. People are fools for every one intelligent person in america there are 200 victom of false promises.... GOD BLESS THE RIGHT TO BE WHAT YOU CAN MAKE PEOPLE BELIEVE!!!!!! i just became a 25th dan in couch potatoe ( me set on my butt ) technique!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff Boler said:
I believe the Bujinkan actually has up to a 15th dan. I've never quite been able to understand it, but then again.....no one has ever been able to really explain it.

Well, according to Marquart's logic, I'm a 10th Degree myself. Woo hoo. Break out the party hats ;)

Yeah, that's just kinda silly. However, that aside, different systems have different ranking structures. My primary system, Sikal, for instance, only has 5 "black belt" ranks.

As Jeff mentioned, though, Bujinkan does go up to 15th Dan. I heard a rumor (which may be completely false but it's the only explanation I've ever heard for the 15th) that there was a time when Hatsumi was awarding rank to people who didn't really deserve it (for whatever reason - I've seen that happen in a lot of systems so it wouldn't really surprise me if it happened there, too). Then one day he looked around and saw a bunch of 7th and 8th Dans who just flat out didn't meet the necessary requirements. Rather than stripping them of rank (which would have been one solution), he added 5 Dan ranks. There are good folks below 10th Dan - but it's pretty much a guarantee that if they're beyond 10th Dan, they're really good.

As I say, that's a rumor I've heard - take it for what it's worth and if anyone has a more definitive explanation, feel free to correct me.

Mike

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
living in the same area as phlaw...i knew of this guy as well...

its just silly and no ones buying it

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Man, what a maroon, as Bugs Bunny would say. This guy has one sixth degree, and two fourth degrees. Add 'em up and you get a 14th degree black belt? I like that math. I just started at another school on the side of my Shaolin school and they teach five different styles. I guess I'm a fifth degree yellow belt.

Btw...how high does ninjitsu go up to, becuase I've also heard of a guy claiming to be twenty-somethingth black belt in ninjitsu, but I thought the guy telling me about him was just mistaken, so I just ignored him. I believe I've also heard of Bujutsu or something like that having a 12th dan, but I'm not sure.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
Man, what a maroon, as Bugs Bunny would say. This guy has one sixth degree, and two fourth degrees. Add 'em up and you get a 14th degree black belt? I like that math. I just started at another school on the side of my Shaolin school and they teach five different styles. I guess I'm a fifth degree yellow belt.

Btw...how high does ninjitsu go up to, becuase I've also heard of a guy claiming to be twenty-somethingth black belt in ninjitsu, but I thought the guy telling me about him was just mistaken, so I just ignored him. I believe I've also heard of Bujutsu or something like that having a 12th dan, but I'm not sure.
I like your new quote brings back memories :lol:

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I am really curious how many of the 12th and 14th degree people have been studing martial arts for more then say hmmmmmmm one year ? ok lets be nice a year and a half.

I have seen many people of high degree rankings but then i've seen many who by their own choice could have been a lot higher but decided to stay at 5th or 6th too.

I think you can put any kind of degree or title you like on yourself but the proof is in the pudding and time will show the real color or rank of your belt.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
almost all the taekwondo in my area comes from the same man(Grandmaster Moo Yung Yun), but due to politics and people growing/changing...at certain times people split off and formed their own organizations/schools...as far as i know Master Marquart's taekwondo rank is legitimate...i can't speak for his kumdo or hapkido, though...

the problem is when people need just that little extra ego stroke...that's when stuff like this happens

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
I am really curious how many of the 12th and 14th degree people have been studing martial arts for more then say hmmmmmmm one year ? ok lets be nice a year and a half.

I have seen many people of high degree rankings but then i've seen many who by their own choice could have been a lot higher but decided to stay at 5th or 6th too.

I think you can put any kind of degree or title you like on yourself but the proof is in the pudding and time will show the real color or rank of your belt.

Chicago Green Dragon

Very well said, Chicago Green Dragon. Your statement reminds me of one of GoldenDragon7's signature lines..."Time will either promote you or expose you!"
[Oss, Mr. C!]

Respectfully,
Gin-Gin :asian:

S

SMP

It is sad that one little thing can diminish someone. Any respect he had earned is looked at with great suspicion.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that the Ninja schools have 15 ranks of black.

Go check out the Ninja forum for more information.

So the question I have about the 14th degree and 12th degrees mentioned here, are they of a Ninja school?

Also, I think one of the Japanese arts goes to 12 as well, not saying that anyone is officially ranked there though.

Now, I agree that there is a problem with with people and egos going for more than others have. Just like the old AMP that goes up to Eleven (11) because all the rest go up to twelve. Or like in "Something about Mary" when the killer hitch-hiker says he will make a video for 7 minute abs to beat the 8 minute abs workout. Well the guys gets all upset when it is presented that someone could go to 6 minute ab workouts

Just some comments and thoughts

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marquart just claims he's a 14th degree black belt of martial arts.....

he's a 6th dan in taekwondo, and a 4th in kumdo and hapkido...adds them up...and voila...instant ego gratification

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I know that the Ninja schools have 15 ranks of black.

Go check out the Ninja forum for more information.

So the question I have about the 14th degree and 12th degrees mentioned here, are they of a Ninja school?

Also, I think one of the Japanese arts goes to 12 as well, not saying that anyone is officially ranked there though.

Now, I agree that there is a problem with with people and egos going for more than others have. Just like the old AMP that goes up to Eleven (11) because all the rest go up to twelve. Or like in "Something about Mary" when the killer hitch-hiker says he will make a video for 7 minute abs to beat the 8 minute abs workout. Well the guys gets all upset when it is presented that someone could go to 6 minute ab workouts

Just some comments and thoughts

well the 12th was at USTU in Atlanta this year which is Tae Kwon Do Olympics style which means only goes to 10th at the highes level...GOD BLESS AMERICA

S

Shurikan

Prof. William K.S. Chow 15th degree JuGo-Dan ( and those are not added up ranks. As legit as they go for ranks above 10th.

Latest Discussions