New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:04 is a stationary - non stepping punch - Do San #2. He flexes the knees and lifts the heel of the rear foot to permit this flex of the rear leg. Is that heel lift what you refer to as "Lifting the supporting leg" ? Further it is not so much a weight transfer thing as using the knee flex to allow you to employ the musculature of the legs to generate power in hand techniques just as boxers do. I knowing some parts of the text there is mention of weight transfer / change to generate power but that is only one factor.

Just checked it again. He does in indeed sink back at 0:04.

If Suska can't avoid doing it, who can?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who says it's not? If you flex your knees when delivering punches with your hands - that is SW.

I am saying that because I quote: "here we twist our hips", patterns we don't ". Uttered by a higher ranked ITF instructor than you. You will note that hip twist for punches are removed from the encyclopedias parameters since the implementation of Sine Wave.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just checked it again. He does in indeed sink back at 0:04.
If you think such a nominal amount if any is critically important there is nothing more to say. BTW my take on Mr. Suska's performance is that it is outstanding and beyond what most could hope for - but not perfect.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am saying that because I quote: "here we twist our hips", patterns we don't ". Uttered by a higher ranked ITF instructor than you. .
Well, suffice it to say a higher ranked ITF instructor than whom you quote taught and states :
"The maximum body weight is applied with the motion of the turning of the hip. The large abdominal muscles are twisted to provide additional body momentum. Thus the hip rotates in the same direction as the attacking or blocking tool. ...... "
So if it is a question of rank prevailing whomever you quoted just lost.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, suffice it to say a higher ranked ITF instructor than whom you quote taught and states :
"The maximum body weight is applied with the motion of the turning of the hip. The large abdominal muscles are twisted to provide additional body momentum. Thus the hip rotates in the same direction as the attacking or blocking tool. ...... "
So if it is a question of rank prevailing whomever you quoted just lost.

When and where is that quote from? If it's post SW, then Choi was going senile because he corrected someone attempting Sine Wave saying "don't twist your hips".

And he removed hip twist from the principles parameters for punching.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
When and where is that quote from? If it's post SW, then Choi was going senile because he corrected someone attempting Sine Wave saying "don't twist your hips".

And he removed hip twist from the principles parameters for punching.

The quote is from General Choi's encyclopedia Volume II page 33..

Once again if you refer to the clip where General Choi says "Don't twist your body" (Note he says "body" not "Hips" ) I have seen it and you draw an erroneous conclusion from one snippet on the net where it seems he was critiquing an excessive shoulder upper body rotation. I know what he taught consistently at IICs and various seminars I attended from 1990 to 2002.
Your "Senile" comment is also highly insulting. I have yet to see any ITF instructor (and I have trained with many) who have been able to quote details from the text as well as he could even up until a few months before his death. I saw him answer hundreds of questions and only refer to the text twice.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The quote is from General Choi's encyclopedia Volume II page 33..

Once again if you refer to the clip where General Choi says "Don't twist your body" (Note he says "body" not "Hips" ) I have seen it and you draw an erroneous conclusion from one snippet on the net where it seems he was critiquing an excessive shoulder upper body rotation. I know what he taught consistently at IICs and various seminars I attended from 1990 to 2002.
Your "Senile" comment is also highly insulting. I have yet to see any ITF instructor (and I have trained with many) who have been able to quote details from the text as well as he could even up until a few months before his death. I saw him answer hundreds of questions and only refer to the text twice.

If Choi was advocating hip twist with you and other instructors in private, yet removed it from the encyclopedias punching principles, what conclusion is to be drawn about him cognitively then? He is at the very least being inconsistent about a rather straightforward matter. One either twists their hips or they don't.

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem is Acronym reads or views stuff on the net and thinks it's all accurate. I find a lot of people draw erroneous conclusions as to when and why SW as a term versus as a movement was introduced because they (as I was) are progeny of Pioneers who had the "Level Headed " Karate / Tang Soo do method of moving . Many of those progeny may not have learned that was not how the system had them moving until long after it was introduced. Something hard to appreciate now in the internet and video generation. In the 1970's VHS / Beta Max was not really available and private internet non existent. So, many were late to update their techniques and assumed that when they were introduced to it this was something new. . The difference between Acronym and I is he reads peoples opinions as to what they think happened and I lived it.

That is painfully obvious from his comments in the Hapkido thread. Worse, he cannot see truth when it is pointed out to him. I don't mind him living in his ignorance, just how he might affect others who seek truth and instead run into his posts.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is painfully obvious from his comments in the Hapkido thread. Worse, he cannot see truth when it is pointed out to him. I don't mind him living in his ignorance, just how he might affect others who seek truth and instead run into his posts.

Yes, I'm so wrong! Tkd Volume 3

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really need to get you head out of books and off the internet more. Sorry, but you are certainly making your self look prideful and quite stupid.
Being ignorant is normal. We are all ignorant of certain things. When you do not acknowledge this fact is when you cross the line to stupid. You stepped over that line several posts back.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You really need to get you head out of books and off the internet more. Sorry, but you are certainly making your self look prideful and quite stupid.
Being ignorant is normal. We are all ignorant of certain things. When you do not acknowledge this fact is when you cross the line to stupid. You stepped over that line several posts back.

Guess who wrote it?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Earl Weiss cherry picking a quote from Choi doesn't change the fact that hip twist was deleted from principles of punching section. A point which used to exist prior to knee spring/SW in the encyclopedias.

And yes, General Choi is the author of them.

Game, set, match. :)

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Well, I am sure you have figured the obvious; I am not a TKD guy, although I did study it for a little over a year a long time in the past. We did not use a sine wave then anyway, and would have thought it inefficient. I there are those who can use a sine wave attack and make work, more power to them. I the Hapkido I studied, I punched as I learned back then and my GM did not correct me.

But as to your post above, it looks like you are quoting someone who believes in sine wave. So be it. I just don't. But I seldom put down people simply because they disagree with me. Sadly, you on the other hand seen to wish to put down anyone who doesn't accept every little detail you espouse. You will miss a lot of opportunities to learn with attitudes like that.

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Earl Weiss cherry picking a quote from Choi doesn't change the fact that hip twist was deleted from principles of punching section. A point which used to exist prior to knee spring/SW in the encyclopedias.

I was going to drop out of posting to you but I can't let this go. I don't have the foggiest idea who your GM was/is, and probably wouldn't recognize his name if you told me. But I would think very poorly of him if he agrees with you disrespecting another GM the way you have. He would have no honor for me to respect.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Keep digging the hole. It is already pretty deep.

When I said ‘you’ I meant You @Acronym. Is that clear enough for you?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Keep digging the hole. It is already pretty deep.

When I said ‘you’ I meant You @Acronym. Is that clear enough for you?

What are these things I'm wrong about?

I was previously challenged to produce encyclopedia footage of Karate blocks in the TKD encyclopedia and did so, from the very first Korean addition.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was going to drop out of posting to you but I can't let this go. I don't have the foggiest idea who your GM was/is, and probably wouldn't recognize his name if you told me. But I would think very poorly of him if he agrees with you disrespecting another GM the way you have. He would have no honor for me to respect.
His ‘instructor’ is Grandmaster YouTube.

Latest Discussions