New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do nitpick about people within the ITF saying that he added a theory a power to TaeKwonDo, when he did nothing but reference existing theories. Theories most educated people knew about anyway.
How many posts have you made talking about this? Yea, everyone would say you are nit picking.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will reference this once again.

If General Choi wanted twisting of any kind when punching, he wouldn't use the term body, when saying: don't twist your body. He would instead say don't twist your shoulders or whatever it is he is objecting to

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SW advocates are so embarrassed by his hip twist removal that they will go to any lengths, including cherry-picking old quotes out of context to try and argue that it is still present.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If General Choi wanted twisting of any kind when punching, he wouldn't use the term body, when saying: don't twist your body. He would instead say don't twist your shoulders or whatever it is he is objecting to

Now you are just crossing some weird semantics line. Who are you or I so speak for the General? More so to try and change what he is saying?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now you are just crossing some weird semantics line. Who are you or I so speak for the General? More so to try and change what he is saying?

Body means everything. I assume he knows the meaning of the words. He did have an undergraduate degree in English

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would prefer the term straight-shooter. To single out rank in all of this is morally abhorrent. My attitude is abrasive regardless of who'm I'm addressing, and it doesn't make it any more wrong (if one takes that view) than if I talked this way to a hobo on the street.
I'd only use the term "straight shooter" where the person appears to be speaking truth others wouldn't. You seem to be trying to present your arguments as reasoned, by ignoring anything that might conflict and reorting to insults to deflect. Not much straight about that shooting.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point is that Choi's "Theory of power" was quoting and paraphrasing someone elses formulas and theories. This seems to be a pattern in his line of work, if you know what I'm saying:cool:
Quoting others is a good practice, where it lets folks go back and look at other sources or otherwise facilitates comprehension. There's nothing especially useful in a brand new phrase, where an existing one already does that job.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd only use the term "straight shooter" where the person appears to be speaking truth others wouldn't. You seem to be trying to present your arguments as reasoned, by ignoring anything that might conflict and reorting to insults to deflect. Not much straight about that shooting.

Does it look to you from the clip I just referenced that General Choi wanted twisting of the hip for punches? Does it look to you that he wants it when he demonstrates his concept himself?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What I find interesting is that I have no idea what the heck sine wave is in this context, but even I can see that the term "don't twist your body" could have several meanings in this context. It's not as black-and-white as you make out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it look to you from the clip I just referenced that General Choi wanted twisting of the hip for punches? Does it look to you that he wants it when he demonstrates his concept himself?
I'd have to look at a larger body of his teaching, and hear what he taught from folks who learned from him. Thus far, the only person I know of with the latter experience has stated quite clearly that Gen. Choi taught hip twist for as long as he was teaching.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that I have no idea what the heck sine wave is in this context, but even I can see that the term "don't twist your body" could have several meanings in this context. It's not as black-and-white as you make out.

If he meant shoulders, he would have said shoulders. He knows the word for shoulders in english.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd have to look at a larger body of his teaching, and hear what he taught from folks who learned from him. Thus far, the only person I know of with the latter experience has stated quite clearly that Gen. Choi taught hip twist for as long as he was teaching.

Which could be a sign of dementia. A condition characterized by confusion, conflictedness and ambiguity. Or they misunderstood the context he was talking about.

Or somebody else was running the show behind the scenes in opposition to Choi and removed hip twist from the punching principles of his own encyclopedia

I would bet on explanation two followed by the first one. The last one extremely far fetched

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You tell me whether this is evidence of dementia or not:

Choi described the olympic TKD style as a bunch of imposters in one interview, then in another one how happy he was to see TKD in the olympics and that belts should transfer up until 4th dan.

Choi said in one lecture that you should not retract your hand after punching . "that's karate!"

Then in his own book advocating retracting the hand after punching in the encyclopedia as one of the basic principles of punching (1987).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You tell me whether this is evidence of dementia or not:

Choi described the olympic TKD style as a bunch of imposters in one interview, then in another one how happy he was to see TKD in the olympics and that belts should transfer up until 4th dan.

Choi said in one lecture that you should not retract your hand after punching . "that's karate!"

Then in his own book advocating retracting the hand after punching in the encyclopedia as one of the basic principles of punching (1987).

Nope. I've seen statements that had a similar appearance of contradiction from folks who were clearly not suffering from dementia. Sometimes context clears it up, sometimes folks change their minds, and sometimes they're just not good at communicating a given idea.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nope. I've seen statements that had a similar appearance of contradiction from folks who were clearly not suffering from dementia. Sometimes context clears it up, sometimes folks change their minds, and sometimes they're just not good at communicating a given idea.

I don't consider it conclusive, but I don't believe for a moment that he was a phony. He caused himself a lot of problems standing up for things he believed in. So I fully believe Choi believed the things he said, at the time he said them. Taken collectively however, he does give the impression of either being a confused and conflicted elderly person, or someone suffering from massive mood swings and shifting opinions.

The fact that he could remember events and dates long ago is not in anyway incompatible with being senile, as Weiss suggested.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I might add that while I respect the Olympic branch of TKD, I consider it a betrayal to loyal ITFers for Choi to embrace the Kukkiwon after decades of bashing them.

Indeed, part of the reason I hate his 180 degree turn is due to the treatment he and his federation were subjected to, by both kicking him out and banning ITF schools in South Korea, and rewriting and erasing history

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
It does not mention a hip twist. It says jerk the hip and abdomen.

Please provide the full context for the quote you cherry picked. Page 33 of the free volume online does not have your quote
Sir, see volume Volume II under "Mass" in my first edition but you can also look at Vol 3 you linked to. Now you want to differentiate "jerk" and "twist" but Volume II uses the term "Twist" I don't know what site you have linked to for the edition you are using.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions