Why until recently effective TMA practitioners were not represented in MMA?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh GPS, there you go finding fault again. Can the video portray an issue? Do your own examination. I'd hate to be one of your students, the student is expected to bring you on the answers.
Except you're not my student, so I'm not here to teach you. I'm debating a point you seem to be trying to make.

We have good karate practicer's and bad karate practicer's in my & every dojo too. So?
So, pointing to one person's action doesn't say much of anything about any given art, style, or system.

Oh GSP, there you go finding fault again. A second time. You're are making bland generalizations, without discussion points, which then redirects the center of attention to you and your viewpoint. Is there aspects of TMA you are in the dark about? Is that why you are always tinkering with them?
Finding flaws. If you don't want anyone to find flaws in your thought process, you have to keep them secret. We all have flaws - @Steve and @drop bear will be happy to share what they think some of mine are! :p

So, rather than being defensive and derisive, either defend the statement by clarifying and expanding, or reconsider your logic.

As for "tinkering" I know you think that's an insult. And I think it's because you don't understand how the principles and mechanics work.

I suspect that is the / one source of your troubles. Hooboy.:watching:
I know you do. And I suspect your inability to understand that value - and the principles involved - is the primary source of your inability to communicate what you're trying to say in this thread.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Fire away.
On the board breaking, well yes & no, and you are warm but not hot.
A singularly unhelpful sentence.

How 'bought boxers can hit very hard. I think we are ok there. But what kind of power are you talking about? And there you go raising objections again, again, & again.
Nope. No objections asserted in that bit. I pointed out my personal view, and a reason behind it.

Mental development is where karate is at, traditionally speaking. That's my base.
You keep saying this, but haven't defined it, despite more than one request for clarification.

And I did specify (should you study carefully my posts on boxing vs. karate) that boxing ramps up with mental development too. Boxing can train mental development. Not like karate tradition.
So, it can, but it can't? That's still not clarifying what you're saying the "mental development" component is.

Then you bring in the crappy TMA training.
Technically, you brought it in - I referenced you doing so. But that distinction is as unhelpful as you bothering to comment on it.

That's correct. Training karate the way boxing is habitually trained is a mistake. It blows up the longer term development of karate power. It makes karate dumb.
So, to sum up so far, boxing sometimes has mental development, and Karate sometimes doesn't. Remind me again what the distinction is??

And there you go yet again finding an objection right to start.:hungover:
Not really the start, since it's well into a thread. If you didn't make the same assertions - after a flaw is pointed out - I'd have fewer opportunities to point them out to you. The fix is available for you.

Because I've studied boxing academically, observed boxing and fought boxers, alway winning too! The first degree black belt at my dojo who trains boxing, uses boxing to win tournaments is fine with my perspective, and agrees karate traditional training eclipses boxing over time.
Back to my question many hours ago: eclipses it _HOW_? See, you keep making a vague assertion. I ask for clarification, and you point to things like someone beating on a heavy bag without looking very thoughtful. I'm not sure you know what you mean.

The point is you don't recognize the mental dimension. And that is the common affliction with TMA and it's training, hence it's under-performance and under-representation in MMA. Your are in the same karate boat as most TMA practitioners.
Actually, the point is that you aren't able to clarify what you mean. See, there are things I think TMA - as I've experienced it - confers more often than other activities (I can't speak to boxing, because I've not spent enough time in a boxing gym with folks of the right age to get that information). But I still don't know if those are the same things you're talking about, because you can't seem to explain - to me or anyone else who has asked for it - what you mean.

Let me close by reiterating that your approach as I understand it, the realistic pressure drills -works. The adaptations you are seeking may well prove out as more practical and effective than kihon karate technical form in many circumstances. All good.:cool:
Nope. My assertion is that pressure drills are necessary at some level. I don't compare them to kata and other traditional drills - they aren't alternatives, but tools which can be used separately or together.

I'm speaking developmentally.:angelic:
I've no idea what you mean by that. But that's so common with your attempts at communication on here by now, I'm sure you're not surprised. Given your lack of real attempts to clarify your points (you know, using a few words to explain a single concept at a time, for instance), I'm not sure you really care whether you communicate - you seem to just like pontificating. (And that, coming from me, is saying something!!)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you being discourteous here?
I suspect he is. He started using my initials quite some time ago. I think he hopes it will bother me. It's a bit like the way Fried Rice deliberately calls Karate and such "chopsocky".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GPS, you keep coming back with challenge answers with no discussion / review of your own. IOW, you're not saying anything.:snaphappy:
What you call a "challenge answer" most would call a "question". They're meant to try to get answers - things you seem unfamiliar with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go GPS. Compare this karate kumite vid with a boxing fight vid of your choice. Review, explain and conclude with summary.
SA JKA 2017 Tournament Highlights

Karin Prinsloo For The Love Of Karate

Published on Jun 16, 2017

Two Guidelines:

[1] Basis is your quoted text. Good & Bad. Hint: I see both.
[2] No "Cats." Lleave out the juvenile. It signals insecurity(ies).

Have @ it.
Yeah, once again, I asked a straightforward question about what YOU mean, and instead you provide a video and ask me to figure out what I mean.

I already know what I mean. I'm not sure anyone - you included - knows what you mean.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't answer my question, at all. You made an assertion, and I'm asking for detail. Telling me to go do a bunch of research for you is lazy discussion.
Lazy, that is you. Again, no definitive answer. Yeah. Bunch a work, yeah.:eek:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Because I've studied boxing academically, observed boxing and fought boxers, alway winning too!"

PantsOnFireCrop.jpeg

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What you call a "challenge answer" most would call a "question". They're meant to try to get answers - things you seem unfamiliar with.
With GPS judge in session as per usual. "Most" Most who? "There." There what? Pronouncements without flesh of any sort. Answering is something you are very insecure about posting.

Bolded, now it's "things;" un huh. Here's one of your gems.
GPS: Agreed. This is back to that false distinction. Some martial artists are not fighters. Some fighters are not martial artists. But there's a lot of overlap in those populations.

GPS = Master of False Distinction. He's never guilty 'cause he never goes on record. Some are, some aren't. What is this, Class Day 1 intro?:facepalm:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With GPS judge in session as per usual. "Most" Most who?
No, humans, not the Who down in Whoville.
"There." There what? Pronouncements without flesh of any sort. Answering is something you are very insecure about posting.
You put "There" in quotes, but I didn't use that word, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. As usual, though, you're dodging any attempt to get clarification.

So, at this point, I'll just hold off posting more to see if you can gather your wits and actually explain your point, rather than trying to play footsie. It's been fun thus far, but I have some stuff to do, so won't have time for this kind of rubbish until sometime over the weekend. If you want to get back to the actual discussion, let me know.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Except you're not my student, so I'm not here to teach you. I'm debating a point you seem to be trying to make.

What you call a debate, I call avoidance. Except you're not seeming to avoid, you are a void.

So, pointing to one person's action doesn't say much of anything about any given art, style, or system.

Another Ah, ha lead in. Right, you aren't saying anything. We can add about anything.

Finding flaws. If you don't want anyone to find flaws in your thought process, you have to keep them secret. We all have flaws - @Steve and @drop bear will be happy to share what they think some of mine are! :p

Now, we don't need any help on that score. I'm afraid to ask. And thanks for pointing out people have flaws. Epiphany master too.

So, rather than being defensive and derisive, either defend the statement by clarifying and expanding, or reconsider your logic.

Wait, you just said in your 1st line I'm not your student. Here, you are telling me how to think. More directives. And NO ANSWERS. GPS is doing so well on that "hidden" theme in Quote line 3. Secrets you have.

As for "tinkering" I know you think that's an insult. And I think it's because you don't understand how the principles and mechanics work.

Ah, now your telling me my term is an insult. I thought is was instructively descriptive. You being a Master tinker'r, I probably did step on you tinkering toes.

And there you go again. No review of my posts. Yet Master Tinker'r merely has to "think;" the answer pops into his head. I have surely underestimated you.:banghead:

I know you do. And I suspect your inability to understand that value - and the principles involved - is the primary source of your inability to communicate what you're trying to say in this thread.

The Master is all knowing. Yes, a profile is emerging. "I suspect," oh the Judge is back out of chambers. And the same shallow, baseless conclusions, repeated over again - the broken record approach. And "primary sources," another GPS judgment falls from the heaven.:woot:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Guess I can cancel that trip to Hawaii.:spam:

Nah, no worries. If you ever make it out this way let me know. At least to Maui, I can't promise I'll island hop. My buddy has a dojo in the mountains, traditional Karate, but he lets us do whatever we want. Nice folks. Very comfortable place.

I might even make you eggplant parm. I make a good eggplant parm. :)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can someone please sum up what on earth noob is on about I've tried to follow it but it makes absolutely 0 sense to me so am wondering if anyone can translate his rambling nonsense into something that makes sense

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone please sum up what on earth noob is on about I've tried to follow it but it makes absolutely 0 sense to me so am wondering if anyone can translate his rambling nonsense into something that makes sense
No. I've been trying to figure out his point for about two pages, and haven't gotten him to provide anything remotely clarifying. It seems pretty clear he's posted something thinking it would sound deep, without ever really knowing what it means.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah, no worries. If you ever make it out this way let me know. At least to Maui, I can't promise I'll island hop. My buddy has a dojo in the mountains, traditional Karate, but he lets us do whatever we want. Nice folks. Very comfortable place.

I might even make you eggplant parm. I make a good eggplant parm. :)
:jawdrop:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. I've been trying to figure out his point for about two pages, and haven't gotten him to provide anything remotely clarifying. It seems pretty clear he's posted something thinking it would sound deep, without ever really knowing what it means.
Good glad it's not just me.....we all must be totally stupid and he's this sage like genius who's so knowledgable no one can understand his knowledge....that must be it right?

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, humans, not the Who down in Whoville.

Shocking.:wideyed:

You put "There" in quotes, but I didn't use that word, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. As usual, though, you're dodging any attempt to get clarification.

Yep, as usual you pick a word to fontanel? over, then claim I haven't posted. Then later say the posts are too much work to read. Add Master Vacillator to you title(s). Roger Dodger.

So, at this point, I'll just hold off posting more to see if you can gather your wits and actually explain your point, rather than trying to play footsie. It's been fun thus far, but I have some stuff to do, so won't have time for this kind of rubbish until sometime over the weekend. If you want to get back to the actual discussion, let me know.
:wtf:
What posting. One liner jibes? There's Judge GPS, again, giving direction to "gather wits," all the while posting witless wordage.

And playing "footsie." That's quite an admission. What seems to substitute for an answer, putting it into your vernacular. The Modern Warrior Coach makes a statement. "Footsie."

Okay, get busy on that "stuff." As opposed to being busy on stuffing this discussion with "stuff."

Yeah, let me know when you can respond to a descriptive post. Answer = never.:walkingdead:

Latest Discussions