TKD Syntax

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought this question may help with other recent threads. How/when/why do you print the phrase TKD?

Tae Kwon Do
TaeKwon-Do
Taekwon-Do
TaeKwonDo
Taekwondo
taedwondo

I know much of this is system/school specific.
Do they each have a different meaning?
If so, please explain.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought this question may help with other recent threads. How/when/why do you print the phrase TKD?

Tae Kwon Do
TaeKwon-Do
Taekwon-Do
TaeKwonDo
Taekwondo
taedwondo

I know much of this is system/school specific.
Do they each have a different meaning?
If so, please explain.

Have to admit, I’ve never seen taedwondo before [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I use Taekwondo because it’s the official Kukkiwon way to represent 태권도. I capitalize Taekwondo because I consider it a proper noun.

I recognize Taekwon-Do as being representative of ITF style schools. In the absence of a different name, these two written methods make good sense to me.

I’d imagine people using other ways do it for the most part because “that’s how we’ve always done it.”

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
General Choi explained he used TK-D to unite the physical but link it to the "Do" or something to that effect.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If ones reference is style neutral, it's TaeKwonDo.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I use Taekwondo because it’s the official Kukkiwon way to represent 태권도. I capitalize Taekwondo because I consider it a proper noun.

I recognize Taekwon-Do as being representative of ITF style schools. In the absence of a different name, these two written methods make good sense to me.

I’d imagine people using other ways do it for the most part because “that’s how we’ve always done it.”

As a random aside, Mr WaterGal found an old uniform of his from the 1980s, and it had a patch on it that said "권도". I'm guessing this was just a printing error, but a little part of me is wondering if there ever was a "Raekwondo", like there was a "Tae Soo Do" and so forth.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TKD, Taekwondo, or Tae Kwon Do.

My Dad abbreviates it TWD. When he embarrasses me, I refer to him as my Uncle. So let me rephrase: my Uncle abbreviates it TWD.