Mixed Martial Arts Sparring

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
son, i got a real funny feeling you squared off with anyone of any real skill, you would get gutted and drop in less time than it takes to type it out. Sure the tools are there, but you know what? when i was still in the throws of puberty like you, i was skinny and flexible too. Me and my friends, none of whom had ever really studied or sparred would dance around, and it would look just like that crap you posted. Then i joined a real school and learned some real martial arts. Now it is a different story. Bottom line, you havnt had the TIME to learn even ONE style very well.much less the buffet line of styles you claim to know something about. You coul dbe very good, like i said, the tools are there. But you need to pull your head out and actually learn something. Beside how to pose that is.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah, excuse me, Alec uses an aspect of Kouchi Gari, not me. I used a reverse front-stance from Tang Soo Do to counter it so he wouldn't break my knee.

If you review the sequence you will note that as Alec lands his 'step' it is in a hooking motion as he uses his thigh to attempt my center of gravity. Like it or not, it is an aspect of the technique, though not it completely.

There is no pressure applied to the knee in kouchi gari. How can it be broken?

It doesn't matter if people believe there is Judo in the video to me or not- it is more important for me to respect the people who have taught me. What you do not see, is that in my eyes, to not credit the style is to be disrespectful to my teachers, who might one day look me up, and see that I did not give them, or their style the honor it is due.

Im sorry there aren't defined Judo techniques in the video? It does not mean it does not show how Judo techniques can be utilized in different styles, which as a martial artist you might think I would advocate...

So, with no judo techniques in the video, you are able to show how judo techniques can be utilised in different styles? Have you considered a career as a politician?

And I'm happy you've practiced longer than I've been alive. I hope you continue to. This doesn't mean you are worse or better than me, or that, that even matters. But it also doesn't mean I'm going to do what the ultimate goal of your posts is to do, and remove judo as a style listed being utilized in this video. It is, because I know from firsthand experience why Alec postured himself in that fashion, even if you disagree with it. Of course, I am putting words in your mouth in saying you would like Judo removed, but I would think a practioner of Judo would prefer the style acknowledged, rather than ignored, when a person employs a tactic of it cross-style. For a technique to be adapted outside of its respective style, with another, is to give it respect that the technique itself is superb, and further honor the style itself.

To me, this entire discussion has been less about understanding Judo, and moreso for you to tell me to stop bowing to it. That's what I've gleaned from it, in addition that you feel Judo is 'ONLY' used in stances 100% as they are defined in picturesque form. For me, that presents a problem in using that technique, in a fashion relative to each situation. You can't ONLY block one way, you'll someday find a technique which the block was designed to protect against, and doesn't. There is a counter to everything; sometimes it occurs in a style you have never seen- probably in a style you have never seen, I would venture

What I am saying, is that as someone who actually utilises judo techniques on a weekly basis, both with co-operative(uchi-komi) and non-co-operative partners, that I dont see any judo, and that you continue to grasp at anything to try and justify your inclusion of it. The only time judo is in picturesque form is in the kata, otherwise it is one of the most dynamic arts there is. Most throws don't look the same in competition as they do in pictures, that is why folks are so impressed when someone pulls off a "perfect" throw.

And one.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, excuse me, Alec uses an aspect of Kouchi Gari, not me. I used a reverse front-stance from Tang Soo Do to counter it so he wouldn't break my knee.

If you review the sequence you will note that as Alec lands his 'step' it is in a hooking motion as he uses his thigh to attempt my center of gravity. Like it or not, it is an aspect of the technique, though not it completely.

As a Bagua practioner, I'd say stepping is only related to circle walking, ever. I'm sorry, sarcasm isn't expressed well online. Of course stepping isn't relative to one style, or even any, but if there' s a reason for stepping a particular way, then there is. Do you not want me to defend the answer you asked me to give?

It doesn't matter if people believe there is Judo in the video to me or not- it is more important for me to respect the people who have taught me. What you do not see, is that in my eyes, to not credit the style is to be disrespectful to my teachers, who might one day look me up, and see that I did not give them, or their style the honor it is due.

Im sorry there aren't defined Judo techniques in the video? It does not mean it does not show how Judo techniques can be utilized in different styles, which as a martial artist you might think I would advocate...

And I'm happy you've practiced longer than I've been alive. I hope you continue to. This doesn't mean you are worse or better than me, or that, that even matters. But it also doesn't mean I'm going to do what the ultimate goal of your posts is to do, and remove judo as a style listed being utilized in this video. It is, because I know from firsthand experience why Alec postured himself in that fashion, even if you disagree with it. Of course, I am putting words in your mouth in saying you would like Judo removed, but I would think a practioner of Judo would prefer the style acknowledged, rather than ignored, when a person employs a tactic of it cross-style. For a technique to be adapted outside of its respective style, with another, is to give it respect that the technique itself is superb, and further honor the style itself.

To me, this entire discussion has been less about understanding Judo, and moreso for you to tell me to stop bowing to it. That's what I've gleaned from it, in addition that you feel Judo is 'ONLY' used in stances 100% as they are defined in picturesque form. For me, that presents a problem in using that technique, in a fashion relative to each situation. You can't ONLY block one way, you'll someday find a technique which the block was designed to protect against, and doesn't. There is a counter to everything; sometimes it occurs in a style you have never seen- probably in a style you have never seen, I would venture.

Two things:

1) You claim that ther're certain things shown in that clip. Others beg to differ. Personally, if I put up a video of how to change a flat tire, one would assume thats what they'd see....how to change a flat. If I showed an oil change, but claimed it was really changing a tire, people would no doubt call me on it. I think thats what you're doing here. Personally, I'm not a Judo man, Frank apparently knows enough about Judo to know that there wasn't any in there. Of course, when I viewed it, I didn't see any grappling, so....

2) One would assume that if they've been doing something longer, have more exp., that they'd know more. Sure, in some cases, thats not the case, however, odds are, if I trained in Kenpo for 26yrs, and someone trained for 2 mos., that I'd know more. Once again, you seem to take offense to anyone that tries to correct you. Ego dude, ego...you're letting yours get the better of you.

Fear is not the only reason to avoid a blow. Protecting oneself is also. One of the primary tenets of Bagua is to not be there. To do otherwise is to betray a style which I happen to agree with. You can't get stabbed if you don't put yourself, or leave yourself there to be stabbed. When sparring, I treat every point at the end of the limb as if it's a blade. I've doneso since a friend in high school showed me a boot they had bought with a switch-blade that came out, as in the movies. Since then, combined with tactical knife training, I've come to find it just more condusive toward respective attacks in terms of evasion to treat every part of the body which can make contact as if it were a blade, while respective of course what it actually is (if you're going to pretend an elbow strike has the lethality of say a gun, don't forget what the strike, and elbow actually does)

You NEVER know what the crazy person attacking you will pull on you. Yes, movies are movies, but I thought the same until two people on PCP tried to mug me, and I learned the hard way that in the movies when they say they are unstoppable, it has a grain of truth. When a punch to the throat, hard enough to knock them over is not enough to stop a person, im dipping. And while I might say a lack of force is the problem, flicking the larynx with your finger lightly can cause it to seize and choke another.

And you can only avoid something for so long. Is that how you fight, like we saw in that video? You mention getting stabbed. Ok...but if you do nothing but run....see, what I'm saying. Whats going to happen? The guy is going to keep chasing you..until he catches you. Come on man.

I would advise never giving up any martial ever learned. I practice every style I have been taught. When I find err in my technique, and cannot find a way to self-rectify it, I communicate with my teacher on how to. When others point out what I am doing wrong, I first ask them how to do it, and then my teacher. I have yet to find a teacher who has disagreed with what the other recommended, though pointing out at the same time its own shortcomings, and how it conflicts stylistically with how 'we' would do things.

Old joke; how many martial artists would it take to change a light bulb?

Answer? 10. 1 to screw it in, another 9 to say 'We do it like this in our style...'

You learn a technique. You never stop learning the style and art.

Funny...you implied that earlier. Any more than a year.....remember that? When others point out what you do wrong, you usually get pissed off. So, how long have you devoted to each style again?

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is no pressure applied to the knee in kouchi gari. How can it be broken?

He is applying pressure above my knee. My pivoting is what makes it look as if its to the knee. I use the video editor so I can take a closer look, in slower motion, of the techniques. I understand if on youtube, at regular speed, sometimes the techniques look different than what they actually are.

when i was still in the throws of puberty like you,

When you are old and infirm, will you desire people to remind you of it? I am 22, have some respect, even if I am younger.

Yes, I am young, very, but you do not need to be condescending. Speak to a 14 year of puberty, not someone about to receive their bachelor's and can legally die for their country, and carry their own at a table with drink.

Bottom line, you havnt had the TIME to learn even ONE style very well.much less the buffet line of styles you claim to know something about. You coul dbe very good, like i said, the tools are there. But you need to pull your head out and actually learn something. Beside how to pose that is.

Standards vary widely across martial arts, but if you truly believe that one cannot learn a style in 19 years then honestly doubling the time wouldnt logically impose any greater reason to assume they have learned it either. At which point I question how you feel about your own art, and ability.

If you would like to 'dance around', feel free to. I recall an individual 8 years ago who in the studio we would joke about doing a movement with his legs, allowing him to side step kicks, which looked somewhat like a dance. I also recall his reputation for having hands which would overcome most. Just because I may look like I 'dance-around' does not mean it is not without reason.

If you really pressed me, you'd find yourself running all over the darn place. I don't mind giving ground, because when stepping back I find it very easy to kick, over and over and over, not just because of TKD, but because Kendo espouses a very forceful methodology of striking and retreating. If it lands a hit, why not?

I think of it kind of like Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Sure, they look SWEET in the movies, and its fancy, but a lot of it is also show. This is on youtube... for show. I am not claiming to be their like, but I am saying that this is a video edited, and doctored. I am not getting mugged, nor am I defending myself from a person intending to do me harm. As pointed out, even when executing techniques to harm me, he has kept me from actually getting hurt by them.

At the end of the day, Alec and I both follow an epistemology that one strike is what is necessary to nullify a confrontation. If someone pulls a gun, you have a movement if that, and we do not mind hurting when necessary. When you meet someone who not only knows how to, but is willing to hurt you if they went all out like that, and you are capable of doing so also, you do not go at that maximum. In a real situation, where there is danger, theatrics go out the window. You get cut when you have to, and you slam your knee so hard into the sternum that they never wake up. If Alec wanted to, he could kill me in one step, with a strike to my temple or neck, or inner thigh, or upper-arm. And the same could be said here.

When you train, you train for realism. You train for when they will pull the knife on you. I have been misfortunate to be mugged TWICE in my young 22 years. I can only reason, especially if joining the military, that I will thus likely be in more engagements.

I was 16 the last time I was actually attacked, and I consider myself both fortunate, and with reason to still be here to type. The next time I am attacked, I will not be the pimpled-youth I was, and I will have every intent to finish things quickly, and end the situation permanently. Because when your family, your life is on the line, your options are limited.

You can spar, and compete, and demonstrate. One can look perty, in the end its whether you survive what matters. I hope if you truly think me unskilled, or lacking, that when you find yourself in danger you rise above my capabilities. I am certain, then, you will survive against most odds. That's what's important.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Standards vary widely across martial arts, but if you truly believe that one cannot learn a style in 19 years then honestly doubling the time wouldnt logically impose any greater reason to assume they have learned it either. At which point I question how you feel about your own art, and ability.

Dude, I've been training longer than you've been alive and I still learn things. I don't, apparently, unlike you, claim to be a master of anything. The learning never stops.

If you would like to 'dance around', feel free to. I recall an individual 8 years ago who in the studio we would joke about doing a movement with his legs, allowing him to side step kicks, which looked somewhat like a dance. I also recall his reputation for having hands which would overcome most. Just because I may look like I 'dance-around' does not mean it is not without reason.

If you really pressed me, you'd find yourself running all over the darn place. I don't mind giving ground, because when stepping back I find it very easy to kick, over and over and over, not just because of TKD, but because Kendo espouses a very forceful methodology of striking and retreating. If it lands a hit, why not?

I think of it kind of like Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Sure, they look SWEET in the movies, and its fancy, but a lot of it is also show. This is on youtube... for show. I am not claiming to be their like, but I am saying that this is a video edited, and doctored. I am not getting mugged, nor am I defending myself from a person intending to do me harm. As pointed out, even when executing techniques to harm me, he has kept me from actually getting hurt by them.

At the end of the day, Alec and I both follow an epistemology that one strike is what is necessary to nullify a confrontation. If someone pulls a gun, you have a movement if that, and we do not mind hurting when necessary. When you meet someone who not only knows how to, but is willing to hurt you if they went all out like that, and you are capable of doing so also, you do not go at that maximum. In a real situation, where there is danger, theatrics go out the window. You get cut when you have to, and you slam your knee so hard into the sternum that they never wake up. If Alec wanted to, he could kill me in one step, with a strike to my temple or neck, or inner thigh, or upper-arm. And the same could be said here.

LOL! If your fighting is anything like we saw in that clip, well.....I'll say this....against anyone with an ounce of skill, I hate to say it, but all that slap happy **** and 6 kicks before putting your leg down, really isnt going to amount to anything.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alex, I say with the greatest of respect, you have not taken on board what everyone is saying. I actually went back and watched the first two minutes of your video again, painful though that was. I must confess I did miss some things the first time. I missed half the times Alec caught your leg. I did watch to see how you got away using some wonderful kicking technique but I missed that too. What I did see was holes in your defence big enough to drive a truck through and what I did see was Alec turn you twice where he could have hit you in the kidney or back of the neck. First time I missed you landing or being in a position to land an effective strike and I'm sorry, I missed it the second time too.

Why don't you accept that the video was a bit of fun and just move on? You just can't defend the indefensible.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He is applying pressure above my knee. My pivoting is what makes it look as if its to the knee. I use the video editor so I can take a closer look, in slower motion, of the techniques. I understand if on youtube, at regular speed, sometimes the techniques look different than what they actually are.

If any pressure is being applied to the knee, above the knee, or around the knee, the technique is not kouchi gari. It is not what is taught in Kodokan judo, nor is it a variation taught in judo. If you are applying pressure to the knee, you are also contradicting your description here, "You ask how the thigh is relevant? It is absolutely when executing kouchi gari, because while harder to do, because it requires exposing oneself more, when done properly it also allows one to protect the person it is being executed on upon better. The point emphasized is control; not just for winning, but for keeping oneself and the other from harm, if you so chose." So, what exactly are you doing?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Are we to understand you learned how to kick moving backwards from Kendo? Or did I misunderstand?
If Alec wanted to, he could kill me in one step, with a strike to my temple or neck, or inner thigh, or upper-arm. And the same could be said here.
Alec and you can kill with a strike to the inner thigh, or upper arm? Is this a dim mak thing, where I would die in 7 years, or is this instanteous? Your dad is a doctor, yes? Ever discuss this with him? Of course, it begs the question, if you haven't practiced it for real , how do you know it works? Hate to be having a Wiley E. Coyote moment when some dude on PCP is intent on harming you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

How did I miss this? LOL! He could kill you in 1 step? Hang on a second....BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way....please enlighten us, as to how this is possible. The inner thigh? Been hit there and on the outter thigh, and I'm still alive. Been hit on the arm too, and I'm still here, typing this reply. Hmm...the side of the neck....watch the UFC, and you'll see quite a few KO's from a neck hit. However, given the nature of the strikes shown in that clip, I doubt anyone would get hurt, let alone killed.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is either an elaborate troll job or cause to weep for the youth of North America. But it is entertaining.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I need popcorn.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

When you are old and infirm, will you desire people to remind you of it? I am 22, have some respect, even if I am younger.

Yes, I am young, very, but you do not need to be condescending. Speak to a 14 year of puberty, not someone about to receive their bachelor's and can legally die for their country, and carry their own at a table with drink.

When you train, you train for realism. You train for when they will pull the knife on you. I have been misfortunate to be mugged TWICE in my young 22 years. I can only reason, especially if joining the military, that I will thus likely be in more engagements.

I was 16 the last time I was actually attacked, and I consider myself both fortunate, and with reason to still be here to type. The next time I am attacked, I will not be the pimpled-youth I was, and I will have every intent to finish things quickly, and end the situation permanently. Because when your family, your life is on the line, your options are limited.

You can spar, and compete, and demonstrate. One can look perty, in the end its whether you survive what matters. I hope if you truly think me unskilled, or lacking, that when you find yourself in danger you rise above my capabilities. I am certain, then, you will survive against most odds. That's what's important.
@Zenjael, can I ask please, what is it that you were hoping to read and have not yet read from the responses to this thread?

For what reason(s) did you post your video?

Do you feel there is any merit in any of the responses you have had?

Thank you.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How did I miss this? LOL! He could kill you in 1 step? Hang on a second....BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!

Ok, now that I got that out of the way....please enlighten us, as to how this is possible. The inner thigh? Been hit there and on the outter thigh, and I'm still alive. Been hit on the arm too, and I'm still here, typing this reply. Hmm...the side of the neck....watch the UFC, and you'll see quite a few KO's from a neck hit. However, given the nature of the strikes shown in that clip, I doubt anyone would get hurt, let alone killed.

AMAZING how all of us who spar full contact 5 and 6 times a week are still alive...we must all suck...