Korean Styles List

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Ken:

The simplest definition I have found is that the "art is what is done and the style is how it is done". I think this is close but not exactly right. What I have found is that the art is a goal attained by a particular method. The "style seems to represent the optimal manner in which a particular person sees attaining skills for expressing that method. My guess is that style more often represents a view towards training, towards learning or even teaching. Its a catalogue of how a person prioritizes bits that make up the art in terms of importance. Its not like there is a huge difference between the Hapkido of Ji Han Jae and Myung Kwang Sik, but the manner in which it is organized and presented to each of these two gentlemens' followers indicates to me that we are dealing with two different styles--- Sin Mu and Yon Mu Kwan--- of the same art ---- Hapkido. Does this help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hu Ren Qianzai Long said:
Check out this list of Korean martial art styles! If you Have any Ideas, requests,or additions, Just Post them on this thread and I'll put them in as soon as possible.

Hap Ki Do
Hup Kwon Do
Hwa Rang Do
Kuk Sul Do
Kum Do
Kuk Sool Won
Kwon Pup
Ma Sool
Moo Do
Tae Kwon Do
Tae Kyan
Tae Soo Do
Tang Soo Do
Tukong Moosul
Yudo
Han Pul
Kong Soo Do
Han Mu Do
Kung Sul
Soo Bahk Do
Hoshinsul
Haidong Gumdul
Ship Pal Ki
Yu Sool
Moo Duk Kwan
Kun Gek Do
Choson Do
Zen Kwon Do
Half of these I've never even heard of. The others:
Tae Soo Do-No longer exists. Renamed Tae Kwon Do
Kong Soo Do-Korean word for Karate. Became Tae Kwon Do
Ho Shin Sul-Self defense in Tae Kwon Do or Hapkido, not a style.
Yu Sool-No longer exists. Became Hapkido
Moo Duk Kwan-A style of Tae Kwon Do or Tang Soo Do.
Zen Kwon Do-You gotta be kidding.
Ship Pal Gi-No longer exists.
Soo Bahk Do-New name for Tang Soo Do
Most of the others?:idunno:

OP
J

J-P

Spookey said:
Han Mu Do is not practices only in Finland and the founder lives in Louisiana, USA. Please refer to Taekwon-Do Times magazine as the founder of Han Mu Do has just been elected to the TKDT Hall of Fame!

Spookey
There´s another Hanmoodo in Finland founded by Master Yoon Soon Hwang and they got nothing to do with Dr. He-Young Kimm´s Han Mu Do, Different art, same name. I think Hanmoodo is chancing name in Finland because Dr. Kimm´s Han Mu Do is already registered in Korea.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, Ship Pal Gi is still very well known and practiced in Korea and has an organization with its own website. I have tried several times to contact them but without much luck so far. They have a few branches in Europe, and are rumored to have a group in North America, but again, no luck so far finding them. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
D

dohap

I met one of their Instructors in Italy 8-9 years ago. I don't know how is it in US, probably harder to find.
I'll try to find address.

OP
M

Mushinto

Chi do kwan

Sometimes spelled Ji do kwan

ML

(edited for spelling)

OP
M

Mushinto

Yes, kwan. Thank you. I don't know how I did that.

ML

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

Wow, lots of stuff there. Nice update MI TKD.
Records show that Tae Kyon[Taekwondo] was practiced as early as 50 B.C

Although Tae Kyon [Taekwondo] first appeared in the Koguryo kingdom, it is Silla's warrior nobility, the Hwarang, who are credited with the growth and spread of the art throughout the Korean peninsula. It appears that it was at this time that Taek Kyon was first introduced to Silla's warriors class, taught directly, and in secret, to a few Sillan warriors by early masters of the art.

These warriors trained in Taek Kyon became known as the Hwarang. The Hwarang are credited with establishing a military academy for the young nobility of Silla. From this academy emerged a elite society called Hwarang-do, loosely translated into English as "the way of the flowering manhood". This society adopted Taek Kyon as part of its basic training regimen. The students of Hwarang-do, all members of the nobility, they were trained in several different disciplines, including: History, Confucian philosophy, ethics, Buddhist morality, riding, archery, sword play, military tactics and Taek Kyon. The guiding principles of this educational system, were based on the Codes of Human Conduct, credited to the Buddhist scholar Wonkang. These principles or qualities are loyalty, obedience, trustworthiness, valor in battle and respect for human life. This code of moral conduct has found its way into modern Taekwondo and is reflected into its basic underlying Philosophy.

The Hwarang traveled throughout the Korean peninsula in order to learn more about the different peoples and cultures that inhabited it. These traveling warriors were responsible for the spread of Taek Kyon throughout Korea during the Silla dynasty which lasted from A.D. 668 to A.D. 935. During this period, Taek Kyon remained primarily a sport and recreational activity designed to improve the physical fitness of its practitioners. Its potential as a self-defense system was not realized until the the Koryo dynasty (935 to 1392) when the focus of the art shifted towards its fighting aspect. During this time Taek Kyon became known as Subak and it changed from being merely a fitness system to a potentially lethal fighting art.

The popularization of the Subak during this era [the Yi dynasty-1397 to 1907]was responsible for its rapid adaptation and survival. Unfortunately, during the second part of the Yi dynasty, the art began to lose its popularity due to changes in the political views on the military and its activities. Because of this shift Subak was preserved only by a few families throughout Korea, which handed down the art from generation to generation. It follows that, during this period, Subak was kept alive by the commoners, rather than by the nobility.

In 1909 Korea was invaded by Japan and remained under its occupation for the next 36 years. Japanese authorities completely banned the practice of any native Korean martial arts. However, this only increased the interest of the population on these arts, and lead to the resurgence of Subak. The underground nature of martial arts in Korea changed drastically in 1943, when their prohibition was lifted and various fighting disciplines were introduced to the country.

After Korea was finally liberated in 1945 the first Kwan dedicated to teaching a native Korean martial art opened in Yong Chun, Seoul. This dojang was named the Chung Do Kwan.
The same year the Moo Duk Kwan and the Yun Moo Kwan made their appearance in Seoul. The following year the Chang Moo Kwan and the Chi Do Kwan opened their doors to students. Seven other schools opened between 1953 and the early 1960's. Although all these schools claimed to teach the traditional Korean martial arts, each one emphasized a different aspect of Taek Kyon/Subak and, as a result, various names emerged: Soo Bahk Do, Kwon Bop, Kong Soo Do, Tae Soo Do and Dang Soo Do, besides those that claimed to teach the traditional Taek Kyon.

Differences between the many Kwans prevented the formation of a regulating body for 10 more years. However, the instruction of these fighting methods found a strong acceptance by the military. In 1952 then President Syngman Rhee watched a half-hour demonstration by Korean martial arts masters. Rhee was impressed to such point that he ordered training in the martial arts to be adopted as part of the regular military training.
On April 11, 1955 a meeting was convened to unify the various Kwans under a common name. At first, the name of Tae Soo Do was accepted by most Kwan masters. However two years later (1957) the name was changed to the now familiar Taekwondo. This name was chosen for two primary reasons, the first being that it accurately describes the nature of the art (both hand and foot techniques). Secondly, it closely resembles the art's early name, Taek Kyon. On September 14, 1964, the Korean Taekwondo Association was created. During the 1960s thousands of Taekwondo demonstrators performed around the world before fascinated government officials, many of whom proceeded to invite Korean instructors to teach their art in their own countries. By the 1970s Taekwondo had a well established world-wide reputation.

From what I have seen in the previous posts, it looks like Tae Kwon Do has people splitting it up again, and I again have to commend MITKD for clarifying the loose ends that he did. As far as I know, the basic Korean Martial art is Tae Kwon Do, the modern derivation of Subak derived from Tae Kyon of the Hwarang Do, which basicaly was introduced by travellers from China, India , Japan and other locales back in antiquity (2000BC and earlier) and formalized into Tae Kyon. I think many of the other names for arts listed may be types of Korean martial arts directly or indirectly linked to tae kwon do-subak-tae kyon, depending on what the constitutional definition of seperating an art is. That they have evolved by the practioners emphasising different aspects may make then appear, and perhaps now indeed, be different.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear TRS:

Your information is flawed. You need to go back to the drawingboard with a clean piece of paper and actually study the history of the country. I think you will find that what you have done is simply re-present the same old oral traditions promoted by the Korean governement after WW II. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
Dear TRS:

Your information is flawed. You need to go back to the drawingboard with a clean piece of paper and actually study the history of the country. I think you will find that what you have done is simply re-present the same old oral traditions promoted by the Korean governement after WW II. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Thanks! Its mostly from an article I found online consistant with others on the subject, and I am well aware of the Koreans wish to make TDK have historical significance into antiquity. There are some interesting facts to note, such as the stone figures of martial artists depicted on their ancient temples indicating there were practioners in their history, but practically speaking, TKD dates only from post WWII. :asian:

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hu Ren Qianzai Long said:
Check out this list of Korean martial art styles! If you Have any Ideas, requests,or additions, Just Post them on this thread and I'll put them in as soon as possible.

Hap Ki Do
Hup Kwon Do
Hwa Rang Do
Kuk Sul Do
Kum Do
Kuk Sool Won
Kwon Pup
Ma Sool
Moo Do
Tae Kwon Do
Tae Kyan
Tae Soo Do
Tang Soo Do
Tukong Moosul
Yudo
Han Pul
Kong Soo Do
Han Mu Do
Kung Sul
Soo Bahk Do
Hoshinsul
Haidong Gumdul
Ship Pal Ki
Yu Sool
Moo Duk Kwan
Kun Gek Do
Choson Do
Zen Kwon Do

Sweet, I never knew that Korea had so many martial arts.

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen these on the list, and since I have experience in them, I guess I'll add them to the list:

Do Hap Sool

Sun Mu Do (aka: Sun Mu Won)

Farang Mu Sul

Latest Discussions