Korean Styles List

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

Choi kwan do is basically an easier version of military TKD. Again, military TKD doesn't have anything to do with the military, just a name for the full-contact, all out version.

http://www.concentric.net/~sertic/gmc.html

I came across some bad news about Choi Kwan Do.

http://ksdi.net/about.html

"...Choi Kwang Do has a policy that no one fails the colored and black belt tests. With declining memberships after 95% of their original instructors have left, they have added more belts between white to black belts, 18 belts in fact which means more test fees. Furthermore, they have added more tests with fees in-between black belts, go figure! At CKD testings, Choi preaches about martial arts tenets, Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control and Indomitable and yet does not adhere to them!..."

OP
M

MartialArtist

That are just issues with commercialization vs. what he intended it to be and with issues of people not putting enough effort into their training so therefore, to survive, must have changed a couple of things.

With McDojang TKD, nobody fails. In the real thing, about 90% fail their first few tests, and 95% fail their black belt tests on their first try. That's how I was brought up.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. The situation only pertains to the operation side of the school, NOT the Martial Art itself.

OP
P

Pyros

Originally posted by arnisador
The stick looks like a jo (four foot long stick)--is that so?

Usually they train with 30 centimeter (a third of a yard for quick estimate to the non-metric ppl) and 120 centimeter sticks. 120 centimeters is apprx. four times the third of a yard. Hehe.. :D

OP
S

shadowdragon

Originally posted by Miekka mestari
...well I dont have any experience of those art. At this moment Han Moo Do is practised only in Finland, it's new art and founder lives in Finland.

founder of HMD in Finland is said to be 7th dan in Taekwondo and Hoi Jeon Moo Seol and 5th dan in Kum Do, but I can't find any reliable information about him, just rumours... :confused:

OP
M

MartialArtist

There's also taekkyon. It looks more Chinese in aesthetics and a bit of freestyle wrestling with it, especially the takedowns with the legs and such which also resemble the Chinese wrestling systems. It has the fancy, beautiful, perfect-technique jumping kicks found in TKD but again, you rarely see them outside demos or sport sparring.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear all,

Han Mu Do is not practices only in Finland and the founder lives in Louisiana, USA. Please refer to Taekwon-Do Times magazine as the founder of Han Mu Do has just been elected to the TKDT Hall of Fame!

For understading purposes, the founder of Choi Kwang Do was a disgruntled member of the original ITF demo team.

Kyuk Too Ki is a form of Korean kickboxing...

TAEKWON!
Spookey

OP
A

akfathens

Kyuki-Do is also a Korean martial art, primarily derived from TKD, Judo and Hapkido. See my posts in the Kyuki-Do thread a few threads down for additional details.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not following this. Are you folks listing "styles" or "arts". Reading back over the string it seems like both are being mixed together. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
A

akfathens

glad2bhere said:
I'm not following this. Are you folks listing "styles" or "arts". Reading back over the string it seems like both are being mixed together. Thoughts?
I've frequently heard the two phrases used interchangeably. How would you define "style" vs. "art"? Is style a subset of art (i.e. differing styles of Tae Kwon Do or Hapkido)?

Best,

Ken

Latest Discussions