Kenpo Stylists

What Kenpo/Kempo do you study?

• American Kenpo (Ed Parker's creation in any of its stages)

• Tracy's (as created by the Tracy brothers)

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Kosho Ryu

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I learned this abbreviation - EPAK- here so I'll use it on this poll.

I've gone to some trouble to learn Mr. Parker's system his way and I'm glad I did.

Someone call Mr. C's home number and tell him there is someone here on the board impersonating him. Mr. GM Tracy will be upset to hear Mr. C has been identified with AK. :eek:
:rofl:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

My main study is American Kenpo, but I am also doing the IKCA program with Lifewise. It is interesting to see the simularities and differences.

Dot
:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by KenpoGirl

My main study is American Kenpo, but I am also doing the IKCA program with Lifewise. It is interesting to see the simularities and differences.

Dot

Doing the IKCA program? Since when?:confused:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

About 3 weeks ago when my other training fell through. You know the story.

Hey, I've done Tracy, Ak, and now IKCA just think of it as well rounded training. ;)

dot

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

About 3 weeks ago when my other training fell through. You know the story.

Hey, I've done Tracy, Ak, and now IKCA just think of it as well rounded training. ;)

dot

What other training fell thru and how Kenpo girl?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

KenpoGirl

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo What other training fell thru and how Kenpo girl?

Nothing that is that important it needs to be aired here.

The instructor and I had a clash of personalities so I chose to discontinue my association with him. :shrug: Happens all the time to students all over the world.

Fortunately I have friends near by that I will be training with, so I will continue to train and one day I will have my BB in AK knowing I didn't have to belittle myself to get it.

Dot

OP
J

jeffkyle

Nothing that is that important it needs to be aired here.

The instructor and I had a clash of personalities so I chose to discontinue my association with him. :shrug: Happens all the time to students all over the world.

Fortunately I have friends near by that I will be training with, so I will continue to train and one day I will have my BB in AK knowing I didn't have to belittle myself to get it.

Dot

Yes it does!

OP
K

KenpoGirl

To all the discussion of Kenpo Styles guys, I see people voting but no comments. It's a worthy discussion. To see who is in what style and how they feel about it.

As I said my main training will be in American Kenpo it is a style that I am very comfortable with, it suits my personality. But I also believe that the IKCA system has a lot of merit and I am pleased to be participating in that style as well. I've only just started so I can really compare the two styles except to say I see a lot of simularity in the techniques. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Dot

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

To all the discussion of Kenpo Styles guys, I see people voting but no comments. It's a worthy discussion. To see who is in what style and how they feel about it.

As I said my main training will be in American Kenpo it is a style that I am very comfortable with, it suits my personality. But I also believe that the IKCA system has a lot of merit and I am pleased to be participating in that style as well. I've only just started so I can really compare the two styles except to say I see a lot of simularity in the techniques. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Dot

I thought the style vs style thing was on another forum, but OK, I'll chime in.

I study EPAK because, as Mr. Conatser says, Mr. Parker had AK to a level of high sophistication in his last days and I find that when I work out with other stylists that I can apply Kenpo to enhance/suppliment and improve whatever is going on even when grappling on the ground. For this reason I have no desire to study another empty-handed striking art. I am interested in a little more club and knife stuff and some of that mystical "chi" stuff but not someone elses idea of how to hit and in what order to hit.

Also, as I know the overskill vs overkill argument was recently brought up elsewhere, I VERY often use Part of a technique in sparring or improvising so I believe that Mr. Parker's techniques are well-constructed and not useless overkill.

ESPECIALLY what I have seen of the extensions like the one to Clutching Feathers which was the first one I learned and where I got the official introduction to the Quarter-Beat timing I'd heard so much about.

And good job on not airing your laundry on the forum Kenpogirl. I thought your answers were sufficient and well-constructed.

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
AK and Tracys blend..

Mostly AK techniques with additional Tracys katas and techniques added

OP
M

Mikey

EPAK Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been in other styles, and AK is way beyond the others in far too many ways to list.

American Kenpo......
"To hear is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, but to feel is to BELEIVE"

Mikey

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Mikey

EPAK Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been in other styles, and AK is way beyond the others in far too many ways to list.

American Kenpo......
"To hear is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, but to feel is to BELEIVE"

Mikey

I seen your profile said "American Karate" and your from Wichita? Where you with Roger Carpenter for a while? I was in his school when in was on George Washington blvd in the 80's

OP
W

warrior.mama

I have had the privilege of studying Chinese Kenpo for 6+ years. I am now beginning to also study American Kenpo. Both are through my sifu's lineage under Mr. Parker.

To paraphrase my sifu - this adds more tools to my arsenal. I sincerely appreciate his sharing both with our school.

It's a crazy world out there - I want all the tools and training I can get!

Oss
Judy aka warrior.mama

OP
C

c2kenpo

Just adding my two bits..

EPAK taught down through the AKKS system.

Dave

OP
K

Kenpomachine

I like it's fluidity and versatility.

It adapts to any situation!!

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would be one of the "others" Kajukenbo.
Interesting thing about "Shaolin Kenpo" it was actually one of the many style names that William Chow used in his lifetime. It came after "Kenpo Karate", "Goshinjitsu Kai Kenpo Karate", and before "Kara-Ho Kempo Karate".
Ralph Castro and his brother trained with Chow up to about brown belt. When Ralph moved to the mainland he went under GM Parker and received his black belt from him. When they parted ways he got permission to use the name "Shaolin Kenpo from Chow, since Chow was then using the name "Kara-ho". To show respect for GM Parker, he adopted GM Parkers original patch.
Neither Ralph Castro or Fred Villari or Victor (Sonny) Gascon founded the "Shaolin Kenpo/Kempo" system. It was just a name that William Chow used to market his kenpo classes when none of the Chinese would teach kung fu to outsiders.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by John Bishop
I would be one of the "others" Kajukenbo.
Interesting thing about "Shaolin Kenpo" it was actually one of the many style names that William Chow used in his lifetime. It came after "Kenpo Karate", "Goshinjitsu Kai Kenpo Karate", and before "Kara-Ho Kempo Karate".
Ralph Castro and his brother trained with Chow up to about brown belt. When Ralph moved to the mainland he went under GM Parker and received his black belt from him. When they parted ways he got permission to use the name "Shaolin Kenpo from Chow, since Chow was then using the name "Kara-ho". To show respect for GM Parker, he adopted GM Parkers original patch.
Neither Ralph Castro or Fred Villari or Victor (Sonny) Gascon founded the "Shaolin Kenpo/Kempo" system. It was just a name that William Chow used to market his kenpo classes when none of the Chinese would teach kung fu to outsiders.

As usual John, you're on the money.

cassidy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kajukembo. Hopefully one day EPAK with Doc so I can pick his brain on movements and the original EPAK system.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by cassidy
Kajukembo. Hopefully one day EPAK with Doc so I can pick his brain on movements and the original EPAK system.

Better wait till after the Super Bowl, He's in Hog Heaven right now!

Signed,

Al "Darth Vader" Davis