• IKKS

• AKKS

• CKF

• Indepenent

• NOT LISTED

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

Rob_Broad

Whose banner do you follow? If the organization you belong to is not here please don't be offended, I only had room for 10. But if it is not in the list let us know what the organization is.

OP
K

Kirk

My instructor is under Huk's lineage, so he wears a rocker patch
that says "Parker/Planas" lineage, that's it. As far as I know, the
only organization he belongs to is NAPMA.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

At this point in time I am independent, and I like it that way.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor used to be in the AKKS, but when his instructor left he followed and is not affiliated with one right now. He didn't say why they left and since it's none of my business, I didn't pry.

:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Tracy, but........double agent with the IKKO(under cover work) find out the secrets of the Goldendragon!:eek:

OP
M

matthewgreenland

I am associated with the AKKS - under Mr. Sepulveda and Mr. Speakman.

I truly enjoy this organization - and really feel at home. Mr. Sepulveda is a great instructor as well as a great friend.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kirk,

The UKS was originally formed by Bryan Hawkins (managing the West LA school for Mr. Parker) and Jeff Speakman. There was a business falling out and Mr. Speakman did his own thing with John Sepulveda (who will be here next weekend) and it has been a great success.

Bryan Hawkin is the UKS president, Bob Liles, Tommy Burks (my teacher), Howard Silva (you know, the one painted on the wall of your school, along with Barbara Hale) Andre Sims, Mark Ainsley, Jim Diggs, Gurujodha S. Khalsa, Wes Idol, and myself are the senior belts in the UKS.

If I am forgetting anyone, and I know I am, I apologize. I joined because I liked what Bryan Hawkins was doing at the time, Tommy Burks was my teacher and he was joining, but did not require me to, and Bob Liles and I had several laying on of hands at seminars or camps and it totally rocked (in the true sense of the work in Kenpo). Howard Silva was one of Mr. Parker's students who lived in Austin temporarily and taught an advanced class for about a year at Brian Duffy's school. Everyone attended it at first, then attendence started dropping as we started rocking and rolling a little more. He is responsible for training my body to move like Mr. Parker intended. I attribute him a great mentor for me, and needless to say I stayed with him the entire time he was here. If anyone is my American Kenpo father, it was he. This is also what Bryan Hawkins refers to him as. He is the age Mr. Parker would be now and very close to him. He did a seminar for me last month that was awesome for a 71 year young man. He is the epitamy of a man dedicated to the Art.

I found a group of guys:
1. I liked to workout with
2. Were training actively with Mr. Parker up until his passing.
4. Moved well.
5. Had similar goals for an organization, quality, not quantity.

Frank Trejo, Dian Tanaka, George Waite, and Tony Martin are not UKS, but are consistantly at our functions and participate. Edmund usually shows up for a visit and is close to several of us.

It is a matter of opinion whether the UKS has met all it's goals. It is primarily a California association, but has members from several other states, and I believe Patrick Pace has a school in the United Kingdom. It has stuck to it guns re: small with quality and using the latest techniques and extensions that were being worked on by Mr. Parker and people like Dennis Conatser. The progress is in the carrying on of material in a similar vein, and adding to it, not altering what was there that made sense. It's camps are primarily closed to non association people, although exceptions have been made for a few individuals or their students. They happen in LA or up in Sacramento where Bob Liles is.

OK that's enough. Check out their website for more info:
http://www.uks-kenpo.com/

-Michael Billings
UKS-Texas

OP
K

Kirk

Thanks for the info Mr Billings. Is it your school that Mr Sepulveda
is going to be holding his seminar? I saw the flyer up on the
bulletin board at my school. Mr Abernathy for sure is going, and
a couple more said they are, and some said they might,
depending on finances. I'm curious about the belt breakdowns.
I've only been to Huk and Mr Parker Jr's seminars, which didn't
do that ... what goes on when the belts are broken down?
Common sense would say we work on techs specific to our belt
groups, but ya never know, which is why I'm asking.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, not at my school. Austin Kenpo Karate is a Tracy derivative with strong roots in Hung-Gar. They are NCKKA (Mr. Swan and Sigung Labouty.)

Break it down - more attention due to smaller classes and more appropriate level material. I assume he will challenge all of us. He was on my panel for my 3rd Black. Used to be close friends with the Duffy's and I assume he still is. He has strong Texas ties and been to many camps down here.

Email me directly with any more questions, don't want to get too off track on an open thread.

Later,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

Latest Discussions