Kenpo Stylists

What Kenpo/Kempo do you study?

• American Kenpo (Ed Parker's creation in any of its stages)

• Tracy's (as created by the Tracy brothers)

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Kosho Ryu

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My instructor emphasizes three areas:
1) Cerio's kempo plus Kara-Ho forms and line techniques
2) BJJ
3) Ppressure point applications to 1 and 2

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

I take tracys, but have nothing against the EPAK guys, if it had been around here i would have checked out both schools. I have no other choice here, within 15 miles of my house there are (im not joking here i researched for 4 months before i settled on a school) 77 TKD schools, 5 Aikido schools, 1 Kuk sool won school, and 1 Tracy's kenpo school. I actually looked into kuksoolwon but that school wanted $300 a month for group only lessons, plus you were required to purchase theire GI to the tune of $125 which was basicallly a middle weight gi (not even a heavy) with an iron-on patch. So i settled on Tracy. So far its the best i can do.

OP
L

lonekimono

Hey nate don't worry, back in 1965 i started in tracys,than i went to PARKERS .
it;s kenpo.

yours in kenpo
when you hit your finger with the hammer did you yell OWL (tracy):p

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I study a Kenpo curriculum that split from Parker & Tracy before they split from each other. It's not what Parker teaches today. Not what Tracy teaches today. Hard for me to answer the pole. Guess I'll just have to answer "other".

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
I study a Kenpo curriculum that split from Parker & Tracy before they split from each other. It's not what Parker teaches today. Not what Tracy teaches today. Hard for me to answer the pole. Guess I'll just have to answer "other".

That's ok, close enough. I'll adopt you. From one good looking Kenpoist to another, Welcome!:)

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Castillo: Thank you for your support on this and several other threads. I'm an opinionated SOB and can be a on-line trouble maker. But, my intention is always to get people to think outside of the box and be open to new arts, techniques, methods, and approaches.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Mr. Castillo: Thank you for your support on this and several other threads. I'm an opinionated SOB and can be a on-line trouble maker. But, my intention is always to get people to think outside of the box and be open to new arts, techniques, methods, and approaches.

Opinionated, eh? Fifty pushups, now!& no back talk!;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm an other with a strong American Kenpo background. I can attack and defend any system in the same breath. I'll even go to task on the semantics of a word. I will try to offend as few people as possible if possible. Tabula Rosa to the end.

OP
Y

yamabushi

I am a student of Mr. Bill Packer who was a student of the late Mr. Tomas Connor. I voted as an "other."

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Nate_Hoopes
I take tracys, but have nothing against the EPAK guys, if it had been around here i would have checked out both schools. I have no other choice here, within 15 miles of my house there are (im not joking here i researched for 4 months before i settled on a school) 77 TKD schools, 5 Aikido schools, 1 Kuk sool won school, and 1 Tracy's kenpo school. I actually looked into kuksoolwon but that school wanted $300 a month for group only lessons, plus you were required to purchase theire GI to the tune of $125 which was basicallly a middle weight gi (not even a heavy) with an iron-on patch. So i settled on Tracy. So far its the best i can do.

Nate, you better practice more. The dog had a upper hand on you! I wouldn't want to pas it on to Master Al that you got bested by a K-9. (Just teasing!

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by lonekimono
Hey nate don't worry, back in 1965 i started in tracys,than i went to PARKERS .
it;s kenpo.

yours in kenpo
when you hit your finger with the hammer did you yell OWL (tracy):p

TRAITOR! (Just teasing) . How long were you with Tracys, and who was your instructor? Where you located at?

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started with Ed Parker's American Kenpo and have never been able to find anything I like better!! Still a Parkerist here!! :asian: :karate:

OP
U

Ukideshi

Not to ruffle feathers further, but, where do Grandmaster Chow and Grandmaster Mitose fit in under Shaolin Kempo. As I understood, they played a large part of the bringing of the art to the US by way of Hawaii.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Think of Shaolin as a great grand-uncle, and why are you posting this in several places? maybe it's just me, but I get the feeling that you might want to ask what you're really asking...

OP
S

Sergio Jódar

Ed parker´s American Kenpo. I think all the Kenpo systems are great, but EPAK is more sophysticated.

OP
X

XkempoX

Shaolin Kempo. Now training in Muay Thai/JKD and soon FMA.....
smileJap.gif

OP
K

KenpoSamurai

I am a beginner in American Kenpo and I love it, I am new but I realy enjoy it.

Latest Discussions