When to begin cross-training

When is it appropriate to begin cross-training?

• Never - stick to one style and run with it

• After you earn 1st Dan in your primary style

• After a few years in your primary style

• After a few months in your primary style

• After a few minutes in your primary style

Results are only viewable after voting.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Storm- You didnt sound like an idiot at all. Of course, any time you take a long period of time off from something, you're gonna notice a big difference. I hurt my leg last year, and wasnt able to train or lift weights for quite a while. After you start to get back into it though, you'll be amazed as to how quick it all comes back to you!

As for instructing....yeah, that is important to do. However, make sure that you still get your own training time in. That is something that happened to me at my old school. I was doing more and more teaching and less of my own training. I actually sat down an figured out the teaching hours, compared to my own learning hours and there was a huge difference.

Dont get discouraged. It sounds like you've got some good teachers who are guiding you on the right path. Sometimes its good to take a break for a while.

Mike

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Dont get discouraged. It sounds like you've got some good teachers who are guiding you on the right path. Sometimes its good to take a break for a while.
Mike

Thanks for that Mike.

Its funny that you say about taking a break, the guys actually said the same thing at the time that in a way it was a good thing that I was forced to take a break. Didnt understand it at the time, do now.

Its is easy to get discouraged and very hard to get back up again. I am now doing alot more of my own training which has made a huge difference.

It is good having a forum like this that you can air certain topics and have a wide variety of people with vast experience to help you along the way.

D

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Storm said:
Thanks for that Mike.

Its funny that you say about taking a break, the guys actually said the same thing at the time that in a way it was a good thing that I was forced to take a break. Didnt understand it at the time, do now.

Its is easy to get discouraged and very hard to get back up again. I am now doing alot more of my own training which has made a huge difference.

It is good having a forum like this that you can air certain topics and have a wide variety of people with vast experience to help you along the way.

D

You're welcome! :asian: I'm glad that I could offer some advice. There are many good people on this forum so please keep the questions coming!

Mike

OP
T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

i have studied 3 styles - muay thai kickboxing, brazillian jiu jitsu and shaolin kempo. i trained in kempo and bjj at the same time. i had been in kempo for over 3years before i had started bjj. i felt to have a good foundation underneath me before i chose to try somthing else while still training in my current style.

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe one may begin training with others from other systems provided one has a solid base in their core art. A solid base does not mean X number of forms, Y number of techniques, or Z belt ranking (although, knowledge generally follows rank, but we've all seen exeptions to this rule).

A solid base, I believe, is not just the ability to perform, but also being able to have a solid understanding of that core system such that it may serve as a means of dissecting all other systems. This is one of the things I have enjoyed most about AK. Its focus on truly universal principles endows one with an understanding of the fundamentals and mechanics that comprise all systems. The focus of my training is on the kenpo system, not a "style" called kenpo.

I think there is a threshold level to which one can train in another system. If I can integrate the lessons into my current base of knowledge without cannibalizing the fundamentals I have already engrained, then it can be a positive experience. What I don't want to do is let my neutral bow to start changing. I don't want my hands in a mantis position, and I don't want my fists at my temples. I don't want to look like a monkey or a tiger, I don't want to trade back and forth with someone attacking with a knife, and I don't want to practice against unrealistic attacks.

Granted, this approach, will may diminsh one's potential for success in the new system. This is fine, because my core system is still my area of focus. Terms used to describe this approach have been "investigative inquiry", "cross-referencing", and the like.

In general, you cannot start up in another school as a white belt with a solid understanding of your core system without that new instructor wanting to change your basics. Bad idea, I believe. The best approach I have found is to train with other students whose minds are open as your own. Walk in with the disclaimer that you have no intention of changing your system, but want to learn about how they do things and, more importantly, how your system fairs against theirs.

One more thing that's important, we should be up front and honest with our instructors. TELL THEM what you are doing. Share with them your observations, and get their advice. Only an insecure instructor would be offended by your inquiries, and an amaeteur instructor will have no solutions to your questions. My own teacher encourages this if we so desire, because he know we will always come back to what he is teaching, and often you come to the realization that you are spending valuable time in something that does not really benefit you.

One final note, training methods have no boundaries. I occasionally drop into a school to simply watch, because I want to see how they drill, how they condition, how they generate power, what state of mind in which they operate, and how they teach and run their school. I have learned many conditioning drils by watching a local Kyokushin school (the teacher was promoted to 5th dan under Mas Oyama - needless to say he can get the job done, and so can his students). Sometimes I walk out of a school I visit within a short time, other times its worth watching.

Good topic,

Steven Brown
UKF

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Typically, most systems grant black belt rank to those considered to be experts in that style. It can take a lifetime to explore and master a particular art, but if you chose not to master one and instead crosstrain, you should at least put the time in required to grasp the information and that usually means becoming an expert...which could be brown belt in some styles, but a high rank none the less.
IMHO.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
bujuts said:
In general, you cannot start up in another school as a white belt with a solid understanding of your core system without that new instructor wanting to change your basics. Bad idea, I believe. The best approach I have found is to train with other students whose minds are open as your own. Walk in with the disclaimer that you have no intention of changing your system, but want to learn about how they do things and, more importantly, how your system fairs against theirs.

I understand what you are saying and I see the point you are making. I would like to suggest an alternate viewpoint, however.

Some systems are radically different, and you cannot experience them without changing your basics. If you want to explore that system, you have to play along and do what they tell you or you will have a non-experience. If you decide not to do this because you don't want to risk interrupting your base art, that's ok, but then you cannot experience this other art.

I also believe that you can practice more than one art, even if they are quite different, and even if their basics contradict each other. Just don't mix them when you practice them. Keep you kenpo separate from your white crane separate from your wing chun separate from your capoeira. In each of these arts, the stances are quite different, punching is different, and power generation is different. But I practice all four and I think they actually support each other quite well.

the other thought is that if you explore another art, it just might speak to you in a way that you didn't expect, and in a way that your original art doesn't. You might find a new love, but you need to be willing to experience the art to discover this. You might change your mind about what your main art will be.

My two cents...

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I understand what you are saying and I see the point you are making. I would like to suggest an alternate viewpoint, however.

Some systems are radically different, and you cannot experience them without changing your basics. If you want to explore that system, you have to play along and do what they tell you or you will have a non-experience. If you decide not to do this because you don't want to risk interrupting your base art, that's ok, but then you cannot experience this other art.

I agree. If you're going to try another art out I think you need to try to put your art on the shelf (at least during the practice anyway) and go into the new art with an open mind. It's the only real way to give it a chance. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In a way I feel like I already do. The instructors at my school all trained in other arts (two have black belts in other arts) before earning their BB in Kenpo. We have touched upon other arts in clubs, seperate classes, and sometimes during class.

What I get out of it...it's offered a little bit of exposure to other arts, without requiring a commitment to them. Plus I had the added bonus of having my instructors relate to how everything they shoed us can mesh in to Kenpo. Iaido, for example, reinforces the importance of precise footwork, and how the body will move where the feet are pointed, and how one can be clued in to an attacker's movement by noticing the feet of one's attacker. Working with the bokken also made my strikes a lot better...it built up my arms enough to make my strikes a lot better. Several of my classmates noticed an improvement when I hit them :D