Favorite Self Defense Technique

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought yubi dori was a very effective technique.
Finger locks can work well when they are available. Even if they don't feel much pain (drugs, etc.), you're at least reducing the effectiveness of that hand when you break the finger. The problem with them is they require precision with no real fall-back - if you miss the fingers, you've lost contact with that limb.

OP
Mazouni

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Finger locks can work well when they are available. Even if they don't feel much pain (drugs, etc.), you're at least reducing the effectiveness of that hand when you break the finger. The problem with them is they require precision with no real fall-back - if you miss the fingers, you've lost contact with that limb.
Very true, I have always felt finger locks work if someone try to poke you in the chest or if they grab your shirt because in the attackers mind they think they have control.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true, I have always felt finger locks work if someone try to poke you in the chest or if they grab your shirt because in the attackers mind they think they have control.
It would be an odd situation where I thought a poke in the chest deserved a broken finger, but I can think of scenarios where that would be the case. Grabs are probably the best set-up for them - it's an actual attack (probably following with a punch, if it's at that level), and the hand is open. I teach responses like that as "here's what you do if you go to grab the arm, but you get the fingers."

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Avoiding the conflict.
Well, yeah... But when IN conflict... I like biting and psychological warfare - screeching, snarling, and generally making them think I am Hannibal Lecter's favorite niece, I just had a mental institution orderly for an appetizer, and they are lunch, and how long has it been since they've had a rabies shot. And shin kicks. :)

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For cases where you can't avoid the physical altercation... there was a guy on another forum that I used to frequent, who would advocate spitting on them first, followed quickly by your headbutt or whatever your favorite lead attack is. The idea is that people really don't like being spit on, they don't really know how to react to it and it catches them by surprise. Of course timing is everything... it has to be spit - BANG, immediately... not spit, see how they react and then start to circle...

Re-stomping the groin.
Remember those little plastic things that came in some of the wiffle ball sets? You would put it on the ground, put the ball in it, then stomp the peddle and it would shoot the ball up about waist high so you could "pitch" to yourself? I see a good groin stomp kind of like that. You stomp the peddle, their head comes up off the ground, to the perfect height for a round house, shin kick to the teeth... which should bounce the back of their head off the ground. Any re-stomping of the groin at this point would merely be for satisfaction and or stress relief... ;)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing gets a man’s mind right like a swift strike to the Adam’s apple.;)

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Avoiding the conflict.
Top marks.
Self defense is about avoiding the fight.

I regularly train the 0-20mph sprint, best defense when using your brain/body language failed.

If you cannot escape then it's becomes "what's the best fight technique"

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can't avoid the fight when you have to defend your family members or friends.

When something as important as my friends or family are at stake, I prefer to place my trust in my firearm. That being said, as I learned the hard way a few months ago, there are times when you must defend yourself and/or others without the option of a weapon. Hence, I train both.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Friends are the things I aim to be able to outrun.

That way, I only have to outrun them instead of hoping to outrun the tiger/bear/zombie.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You can't avoid the fight when you have to defend your family members or friends.
I agree with that.
At this point, you are leaving the self defense, and entering the fight realm.

The precursor to this is the self defense, the situation you have been put in, this has techniques to be prevented before it happens, body language, verbal communication, statistical observation about the environment- these are the best tools/techniques for self defense. Once these have failed you have become involved in a fight (and potentially your friends/family).

Latest Discussions