Favorite Self Defense Technique

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Favorite self defense technique is misdirection / manipulation.

Misdirect the aggressive person.
Manipulate the person or the situation or both.

These have been the 2 most valuable skill sets that I've ever developed in terms of self defense.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read that term the other way around. Self-defense is what you do when there’s an attack to defend against.

I’m not saying you are wrong - just pointing out there isn’t a consensus on that term.
There's isn't a concensus on that term yet.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

The run by and tug hair tactic worked well at the beginning

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
- Try your favor moves 3 times. If fail
- Try to use your favor moves to set up the 2nd move. If fail
- Play 100% defense and wait for opportunity.
Why should you try the same move 3 times in a row? The other guy will get better at stopping and countering your failed move with each successive try. You should learn your favorite move well enough, to know what to do when they counter or defend, then immediately counter their counter... on your first attempt. Your first attempt at a move should work or it should become a set up to your second move. Your second move is dependent on how the other guy defends or counters your first.

I also would not play defense and wait for an opportunity. I make my opportunity. I might not be able to directly counter his hold... but I can start getting him to react to me. If I go into wait mode, opportunity may never come or only come after I am too damaged for it to matter. You certainly should not force something. But you should always be working at getting him to respond to you, instead of the other way around.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why should you try the same move 3 times in a row? The other guy will get better at stopping and countering your failed move with each successive try.
After 3 tries, if your move doesn't work, at least you have studied your opponent's respond well. You can then take advantage on his respond.

For example,

1. You kick your opponent's groin. He drops arm to block your kick.
2. You kick your opponent's groin again. He drops arm to block your kick again.
3. You kick your opponent's groin the 3rd time. He drops arm to block your kick the 3rd time.

During your 4th groin kick, when your opponent drops his arm to block your kick, you punch on his face. Of course you can use groin kick, face punch combo on your 1st try. But if your groin kick can knock your opponent down, why do you even bother to punch? Your opponent may be fast enough to block your 1st groin kick. But he may not be fast enough to block your 2nd or 3rd groin kick. When you deliver your 4th groin kick, you may just use only 30% power and speed in your kick.

immediately counter their counter...
When you attack, your opponent can

1. escape of your attack.
2. counter your attack.

If your opponent counters your attack, of course you can take advantage on his counter. But if your opponent just escapes your attack, you can only take advantage on his backward footwork and weight shifting. If his backward footwork is faster than your advantage footwork, you can't reach him.

I also would not play defense and wait for an opportunity.
Take single leg for example. If you shoot in 3 times and your opponent is fast enough to move back for all 3 attacks, when you play defense, the moment that your opponent's steps in, you shoot at his leading leg. In other words, when you play defense, you let your opponent to close the distance for you.

A: What can I do if every time I attack, my opponent always moves back?
B: You let him attacks you instead.

A: What can I do if my opponent won't let me grab on him?
B: You let him grabs on you instead.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After 3 tries, if your move doesn't work, at least you have studied your opponent's respond well. You can then take advantage on his respond.
Usually this results not trying the same technique. As you are studying your opponent, your opponent will be studying you.

I literally have taught 2 week classes specifically covering this.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For example,

1. You kick your opponent's groin. He drops arm to block your kick.
2. You kick your opponent's groin again. He drops arm to block your kick again.
3. You kick your opponent's groin the 3rd time. He drops arm to block your kick the 3rd time.
More likely...
1. You kick your opponent's groin. He drops arm to block.
2. You kick your opponent's groin. He steps in at an angle, drops his arm to scoop your kicking leg, sweeps your other leg dropping you on your head, and kicks your groin.
3. You try to stand up, to kick his groin. He kicks you in the head or ribs, knocking you back down.
4. You try to stand up, to kick his groin. He kicks you in the head or ribs, knocking you back down.

Yes, you should practice to take him out with the groin kick. But you should also practice what to do if he blocks different ways.
1. You kick to your opponent's groin, he drops arm and blocks your kick as you throw a hook to his head.
or
1. You kick to your opponent's groin, he drops his hand to block you switch to question mark kick to his unprotected head.

Sorry, I just don't like the give him 3 tries to counter me for free and then a 4th just to make sure before I try something new. I may note that he dropped his hand, and save that for later, in case I need to come back to it. Or I may try to set it up differently.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More likely...
1. You kick your opponent's groin. He drops arm to block.
2. You kick your opponent's groin. He steps in at an angle, drops his arm to scoop your kicking leg, sweeps your other leg dropping you on your head, and kicks your groin.
3. You try to stand up, to kick his groin. He kicks you in the head or ribs, knocking you back down.
4. You try to stand up, to kick his groin. He kicks you in the head or ribs, knocking you back down.

Yes, you should practice to take him out with the groin kick. But you should also practice what to do if he blocks different ways.
1. You kick to your opponent's groin, he drops arm and blocks your kick as you throw a hook to his head.
or
1. You kick to your opponent's groin, he drops his hand to block you switch to question mark kick to his unprotected head.

Sorry, I just don't like the give him 3 tries to counter me for free and then a 4th just to make sure before I try something new. I may note that he dropped his hand, and save that for later, in case I need to come back to it. Or I may try to set it up differently.
I don't think KFW was suggesting trying the same technique 3 times in a row. If I try a hip throw three times in a row, I'll get smashed. But if I use 3 opportunities to try it, I might get a feel for what his responses are. And, of course, he'll be waiting for the hip throw again and might divert some of his tools to making it unavailable, which means it's time for the next technique.

I'm not nearly that methodical - I go more by feel than by careful analysis in the moment (a personality trait), but I think I get what he's saying.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2. You kick your opponent's groin. He steps in at an angle, ...
May be I should make myself clear that the "3 tries" strategy assume that your opponent tries to "escape" your attack. If your opponent "counters" your attack, you should counter his counter. The strategy will change right there.

If you

- dodge my punch, there isn't much I can do there.
- block my punch, I can grab your blocking arm and do a lot of stuff there.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
May be I should make myself clear that the "3 tries" strategy assume that your opponent tries to "escape" your attack. If your opponent "counters" your attack, you should counter his counter. The strategy will change right there.
I guess I am not understanding you.

1. Are you saying to throw the same attack 3 times in a row and then a 4th as a set up?

2. First you gave an example of the guy blocking the attack by lowering his arm, now you are talking about him moving back... In what cases to you throw the same attack 3 times? When he moves back? When he blocks? When he counters?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The beauty to apply the same move 3 times is it may fool your opponent that this move is all you can do. The moment that you use it to set up your next move, it can surprise your opponent.
This only works when the move is successful 3 times. Not when it fails 3 times.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your move doesn't work 3 times then there's only 2 reasons why. You can't excute it properly or your opponent already has a good read on you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In what cases to you throw the same attack 3 times? When he moves back? When he blocks? When he counters?
When he moves back and also when he blocks but your hand can't reach to his face.

When he counters, you should counter his counter right away.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This only works when the move is successful 3 times. Not when it fails 3 times.
A fast and powerful groin kick is a fast and powerful groin kick. It doesn't matter that kick land on your opponent's groin or not. When you hold a dagger in your hand, you don't have to stab that dagger into my chest, when you swing your dagger, I will move and respect your dagger.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When he moves back and also when he blocks but your hand can't reach to his face.

When he counters, you should counter his counter right away.
But you are saying that if he blocks or moves back, throw 3 groin kicks, one after the other... correct? Then follow with a 4th to use as a set up?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A fast and powerful groin kick is a fast and powerful groin kick.
If your "groin kick" fails 3 times then it's not landing on it's target.
It doesn't matter that kick land on your opponent's groin or not.
It always matters if your strike lands correctly or not.
When you hold a dagger in your hand, you don't have to stab that dagger into my chest, when you swing your dagger, I will move and respect your dagger.
How did you go from doing a "move" to using a weapon. Respecting the dagger has nothing to do with the move that you are trying to do. That same respect for the dagger is there even if the opponent isn't holding it. A knife is not a move. Do the same swing without a knife and see how many people respect the move.

Latest Discussions