Favorite Self Defense Technique

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whats everyone favorite self defense technique? My favorite self defense technique is irmi nage.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rear naked choke, because in the one real fight I've been in, it allowed me to restrain my attacker without any significant injury to either of us.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been liking good clinch work. Just because it sets me up nicely.

Just getting this sort of nice position.

OP
Mazouni

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been liking good clinch work. Just because it sets me up nicely.

Just getting this sort of nice position.
Very cool, I like how Lenny does his irmi nage.

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a favorite. In the Hapkido I studied, defense is type of attack specific.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awareness. Being aware of the people around you, the environment, the situation... The more aware you are, the easier it is to avoid the situation or if thats not possible, the more aware you are gives you the most options.

The best self defense advice I can give... pull your head out of your cell phone.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't say I have a favorite but for being aware of the every changing situations and just not being there.
But are several movements I tend to use often. Here is a piece from a old vhs video I made a long time ago.
Was unable to post it directly so here is a link to it on FB. I apologize for it being grainy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Simple strategy - if your opponent has no leg on the ground, he will fall. You can then take off.

- Hook your opponent's leading leg into your arm.
- Hook his back leg off the ground.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Headbutt followed by whatever is there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two favorites.
1 - Avoiding the conflict whenever possible.
2 - Massive, overwhelming numbers of backup.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was given this advice once by an old black belt.

1st thing you do in a fight is headbutt the other guy right in the bridge of the nose. 95% of people will lose the will to fight when you do that.

The other 5%.....well you better pack a lunch because it’s gonna get ugly.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was given this advice once by an old black belt.

1st thing you do in a fight is headbutt the other guy right in the bridge of the nose. 95% of people will lose the will to fight when you do that.

The other 5%.....well you better pack a lunch because it’s gonna get ugly.

I love them, but I find them extremely limited in their scope. Mostly only good as the opening salvo, and even there they are limited by height of the opponent.
Once the fight is on, you're not often in the right position. And fights don't last too long.

But like the three bears porridge, if things are just right....oooh.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats everyone favorite self defense technique? My favorite self defense technique is irmi nage.
I have favorite techniques, but I don't have a favorite self-defense technique - that's just too variable for me to even consider. My favorite technique over the last decade is probably Peel-off (in more recognizable terms to most folks, the entry is similar to some versions of shiho nage, and the finish is close to a variant of kote gaeshi). It has a nice flow, and looks complicated, though it's pretty simple in action. It covers some important principles of control, and is pretty dramatic-looking in practice (in application, it'd look less interesting - it turns into a destruction instead of a throw).

OP
Mazouni

Mazouni

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have favorite techniques, but I don't have a favorite self-defense technique - that's just too variable for me to even consider. My favorite technique over the last decade is probably Peel-off (in more recognizable terms to most folks, the entry is similar to some versions of shiho nage, and the finish is close to a variant of kote gaeshi). It has a nice flow, and looks complicated, though it's pretty simple in action. It covers some important principles of control, and is pretty dramatic-looking in practice (in application, it'd look less interesting - it turns into a destruction instead of a throw).
I always thought yubi dori was a very effective technique.

Latest Discussions