Favorite Self Defense Technique

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by Mazouni, May 2, 2018.

1. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

You may want your opponent to think that groin kick is the only thing that you know how to do. The moment that he pays attention on your groin kick, he may forget your punch. I may talk about sport fight here. You only have 3 minutes to win a fight and you need a "plan".

2. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Of course you will need to earn your opponent's respect first.

In Sanda fight, when your opponent tries to block your heavy roundhouse kick (or hay-maker) and it almost breaks his arm. He will not try to block your heavy roundhouse kick (or hay-maker) after that even if your attack hasn't landed on his body yet.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  3. wab25

wab25 Blue Belt

So, I take it you do mean to throw the same attack 3 times in a row, followed by a 4th. Thats not a plan I would recommend. If my opponent were to throw 3 groin kicks in a row... I may block, side step or retreat from the first, the second one I am catching either inside or outside and then dumping him hard on the ground. After, I will thank him for giving me the easy victory.

Lets say my favorite move is a straight right. So I plan to use it. I am going to learn a few things, assuming I can throw a decent straight right.
    1. I will learn how to set it up. Lead right, jab then right, jab half step back right...
    2. I will learn what to do when the other guy defends. What to do when he blocks with either hand, parries, side steps, leans back or steps back.
    3. I will learn what the common counters to a straight right are, how to see them, defend them and counter them.
    4. I will learn how to counter with it.

Now I will make a plan. Do I want to pressure him to set it up or bait him to set it up? Do I want bait him in and use it to counter? Do I want to throw it a lot, so he tries to counter it... planing to counter his counter? Part of every plan is what to do when he defends. Parts of every plan is plan B and C...

This plan will have different things that I can do, all to set up the same favorite technique, without giving the other guy 4 chances to counter me.

What sport are you watching that you can lead with 4 groin kicks and a knife??? ;) (I want to watch too)

4. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Honestly, if this is a serious fight, playing for keeps, I don’t think you will be studying your opponent and using complex strategies. You just want to end it right now, as fast as possible. After it’s all over, you can think about what happened and what you might have done differently.

A competition, scheduled for 3 rounds of X minutes or something, where both competitors are entering cautiously because they both know the opponent is highly trained and prepared for the encounter, is the time to consider a more complex strategy.

I mean really. Delivering your “forth groin kick”?? In a street fight??? You’ve got some problems and need to fix your training methods.

5. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    If a punch is a "technique" (just clarifying our terms here), then 3 jabs can actually be pretty useful, even if he dodges all 3. If we're talking about grappling techniques, that's less true, and not very true for some (because their failure mode is too costly).

6. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I think his point is that a dangerous technique (hard kick, dagger stab) causes useful changes in your opponent, even if it doesn't land.

7. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wingchun100

wingchun100 Senior Master

Staying at home.

9. jobo

jobo Senior Master

Is this your "favourite" in that you have used it multiple times in self defense and it's shown to work or a theoretical favourite that you think would be a killer move if you were ever to be attacked.

If the first, then a simple pulling whilst being pushed works very well, where some one puts there hands on you and pushes you backwards, grab the hands , go backwards fast, stop turn and release, and the go flying off into the under growth or the last time I used it, some ornamental flower beds, on The fantasy one, a flying back kick with Pike and a double twist sounds good

• Like Like x 1
  10. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Add (to your SD pick) a pull down in one side and a push up on the other as they pass, and you get one of my favorite techniques (and the entry to a bunch of others).

11. jobo

jobo Senior Master

Yes, the push pull thing is A power tool, for use on people who are a lot more powerful than you are

12. gpseymour

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Or even those your own size - or just to send them further with less control.

13. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    People may say they don't really have favorite techniques, but if you have an experienced instructor, especially for a few years, that instructor could count off all of of your favorite everything on his fingers.

And probably has.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. IvanTheBrick

IvanTheBrick Orange Belt

If I were able to use it in a fight without thinking about it, it would definately be the crushing of the bones in the hand with a Yawara Bo. However, I am not well-versed enough in it so it's not a reflex yet, and I also don't carry the weapon with me. In this case, my favourite is the hook counter to a simple palm strike to the chin, or the solar plexus. It's so simple and it has superb effect and I just love it.

15. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

It doesn't matter what technique that you try to develop, as long as you can use it to end a fight quickly. A 45 degree downward hay-maker to hit on the back of your opponent's head can be a good one. The back of the head is a weak spot in our body.

16. Daniela455

Daniela455 White Belt

I do not have a favorite technique because I do not know any. It would probably be the one that goes through the nose or crotch of the attacker

17. Isaiah90

Isaiah90 Orange Belt

The knife chop to the neck. It's simple, efficient, fast, and doesn't require alot of power. It will take anyone regardless of size because it targets the carotid artery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805 Blue Belt

My favorite are the strike downs we have a lot of takes down in kenpo

19. oldwarrior

oldwarrior Green Belt

My thinking is first stay calm (yeah I know before anyone says it that not easy if your under stress) and try and use your opponent against himself or herself ... planning a favourite technique is all well and good or having a favourite technique is the same but will it be applicable ???

Be adaptable and fluid to all situations and use the attacker against themselves

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deafdude#5

Deafdude#5 Green Belt

My favorite technique? Simply paying attention to your environment & choosing wisely.

Sometimes the best martial arts technique is to leave/avoid before things escalate.