Single hand throat grab and two hand throat grab

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would do a technique called "popping the duck".

Major MAJOR points to anyone who knows that reference.

Even more points if you can describe the results of said-same technique.

Hint: it's a sword technique.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on how they are grabbing you around the throat. For me personally that's the last place I want to grab someone unless I'm trying to rip the throat. The problem with basic throat grabs is that it's easy to defend against and most martial arts use that in their scenarios. Depending on what you know, you can make the person release the grip or you can break the person's arm or wrist as well as strike. For me I would probably do all of the above with a focused effort to break the arm. If someone gives me a text book attack then I'm going for a text book defense in all it's glory.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very aware of definitions. There is a difference...unless we simply look at the surface of the definitions and do not drill deep enough.

How about:

Protect: to provide a guard or shield
Defend: to take action against attack or challenge

I see a big difference here. One is to prevent and one is to react when something is happening. The police do not "defend and serve", our borders are not controlled by "border defenders", our military serves to "protect" our freedoms.

Jouzai Senjou!
Ok let's dig deeper and use more references.
Cambridge Dictionary
Defend: To protect someone or something from attack or harm
Protect: To keep someone or something safe from harm, injury, damage, or loss. (see Defend)

Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Defend:
1. to fight or work hard in order to keep something from being taken away
2. to protect from harm or danger
3. to take action against an attack or challenge; to protect from bodily injury.
Protect:
1. to cover or shield from exposure, injury, damage, or destruction
to defend against harm

Dictionary.com

Defend:
To ward off attack(s); guard against assault or injury
Protect:
To defend or guard from attack, invasion, loss, annoyance, insult, etc.; cover or shield from injury or danger.

The Free Dictionary
Defend:
1. To make or keep safe from danger, attack, or harm
2. To engage in or be prepared to engage in battle to protect from harm
Protect:
To keep from being damaged, attacked, stolen, or injured; guard. (Synonymous with Defend)

McMillan Dictionary
Defend:
1. To protect someone or something from attack

Protect:
1. To keep someone or something from safe from harm, injury, or danger
2. To defend, save, or prevent damage

Vocabulary.com
Defend:
1. Protect against a challenge or attack
2. To protect or fight for someone; to resist strongly

Protect:
1. To shield from danger, injury, destruction, or damage
2. To defend; to be defensive or to act against an attack

Oxford Dictionary

Defend:
To Resist an attack made on someone or something; to protect from harm or danger.

Protect:
to keep safe from harm or injury; to defend against attack.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on how they are grabbing you around the throat. For me personally that's the last place I want to grab someone unless I'm trying to rip the throat. The problem with basic throat grabs is that it's easy to defend against and most martial arts use that in their scenarios. Depending on what you know, you can make the person release the grip or you can break the person's arm or wrist as well as strike. For me I would probably do all of the above with a focused effort to break the arm. If someone gives me a text book attack then I'm going for a text book defense in all it's glory.

Almost all such responses are deescalation techniques, which is fine if you are a bouncer, LEO, or other such person. I'm not anymore. Someone grabs my throat, it's on like Donkey Kong. Three hits. I hit him, he hits the floor, the ambulance hits 80mph.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Almost all such responses are deescalation techniques, which is fine if you are a bouncer, LEO, or other such person. I'm not anymore. Someone grabs my throat, it's on like Donkey Kong. Three hits. I hit him, he hits the floor, the ambulance hits 80mph.
Totally agree with you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your favorite ways to get out of these two self-defense scenarios?

Depends on about 17 bazillion variables.
Including the phrase "get out of" in your question, to me, implies that they've already gotten hold of me. Obviously, I would have done my best to prevent them from actually applying the grip in the first place. Having failed at that, then I would (depending on the specific circumstances) end the threat. This could mean moving in such a way as to break their grip, it could mean breaking their arm, leg, or other body part, it could mean applying a sharp edge or point to various parts of their body, or it could mean treating their obvious insanity with heavy metal infusions. My personal preferred treatment would be a series of infusions delivered in rapid succession, using a combination of copper and lead delivered by the thoracic and cranial routes.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Rory Miller: If they are strangling you at arms length just step back (unless you are against a wall of course)
Even if you're against a wall, you can step out of it...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, the meaning of words is a waste of time?

Ok. Let me tell you a story.

I was doing a self defence seminar and the subject of leg kicks came up.

Now i have done thai for a few years and could out leg kick everybody in the room. Including the instructor. Who had no clue as to how to throw the technique he was teaching.

But because he felt the need to be the instructor he did take time out to teach me the latin name for the muscle group i was hitting.(which i forget now)

My view at the time was thank you very much captain science. But knowing the meaning of a word is not helping anybody kick the crap out of another dudes leg.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even if you're against a wall, you can step out of it...

There is some nifty footwork you can do against a wall.

Also it is about the one place you can do the arm windmill defence and not have them just take your back.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I needed a pick me up tonight. Got it, loved it.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are some drills that can be used to practice escaping this situation?

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Arm roll to an underarm armlock, kick 'im in the nuts and call him a dumb***. I remember training chokes in the army, drill sargent said, "This is what you do if you wake up spooning with the enemy."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are some drills that can be used to practice escaping this situation?
Which situation? There are a million different scenarios where a throat grab might occur. And do you mean escaping after they're grabbing you, like you mentioned in the OP, or avoiding being grabbed/chocked?

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Which situation? There are a million different scenarios where a throat grab might occur. And do you mean escaping after they're grabbing you, like you mentioned in the OP, or avoiding being grabbed/chocked?

Once you are grabbed, as in you failed to get his hand away and he has been able to wrap one or two hands around your neck.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you are grabbed, as in you failed to get his hand away and he has been able to wrap one or two hands around your neck.
This still leaves a ton of different scenarios, but for the most part I agree with whoever mentioned that all you need to do is back up to get out of it...It's a weirdly easy thing to escape from. If your against a wall, realize that you have a limited amount of time, but if you can stay calm (probably the toughest part) you have at least one more free limb then your attacker, possibly two, so you can basically do anything to him to force him to let go.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well does anyone practice these types of escapes at their school? I mean like of course if I had a knife or something sharp at my disposal I would use it. I could also use a groin smash, eye gauge, throat strike, etc. but how do you practice these type of things? I know there is a Jizzilion different scenarios, but what are some one can practice?

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying armbar?

Ahh yes this and a secret black belt move I was taught called the shotgun blast to the dome, also helps if someone is trying to strangle you.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also my instructor told me that if I'm in a life or death situation, I should avoid any techniques with the word flying in them , if I value my life. XD

Latest Discussions