Favorite

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's your favorite technique? Or maybe kick, form, self-defense technique, or sparring technique? Why did you find this as your favorite?

My favorite form to practice is Choong-Moo. I like the flow of the form and how it worked. As far as kicking goes I prefer to execute a front leg left roundhouse followed by a right spinning hook kick.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Favorite form, I liked Hwa-Rang for a long time then after learning Ge-Baek that one became my favorite. At one time I knew, and competed with Ko-Dang which has been discontinued in the ITF (replaced by Juche).

Favorite kick has always been lead leg side kick with my left leg (I idolized Bill Wallace as a young'n). I've dented quite a few ribs with that kick.

:asian:

A

Angus

We did ITF TKD forms in American Karate (which was, essentially, TKD), but the place closed before I could learn Gebaek, which was the next one for me. :( Hwarang and Wonhyo were my favorites otherwise, the former I think having a slight edge.

Favorite kick is probably an axekick because it's so strong and fun to do. In all practicality, I'd say a roundhouse, but that's because I've been doing MT longer than I have true TKD!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me: Kicks ..... anything off my front leg (usually right leg forward). The hook kick, and roundhouse for sparring. These are quick and less telegraphed. Front leg side kick is good for an "openner" technique. I also like shin blocks .... illegal in TKD sparring, but in class they let me get away with it, so far.

Hand techs: ridge hand and backfists. Also quick. And also illegal in TKD sparing, but I still use them once in a while to keep my partner on their toes.

Self defense: Joint locks of any kind. I seem to learn these fast and use them effectively :D

For fun: Trick kicks :D Useless usually, but fun to do.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
What's your favorite technique? Or maybe kick, form, self-defense technique, or sparring technique? Why did you find this as your favorite?

My favorite form to practice is Choong-Moo. I like the flow of the form and how it worked. As far as kicking goes I prefer to execute a front leg left roundhouse followed by a right spinning hook kick.

I like Se Jong, because of the direction of the pattern!:asian:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I forgot my fav forms. In TSD it was pyung ahn ee dan. For TKD, it's Taeguek sa jang (4). I know Taeguek 5, but it's not one of my fav's.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
My favorite form is probably our Pyong an 5. (Maybe this is also a TSD form?) It's got a neat jump, along with some other fun moves.

Favorite technique? Lead-leg sidekick- sliding, cross-step, or even just standing. Fast, strong, and great for breaking boards and bones alike.

I also like throwing a jumping front kick sometimes in sparring. Not very practical, but if it's well-timed, you can scare the shiznit out of your sparring partner. :D

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
I like Se Jong..

Se-Jong, form 14. :eek: :asian:
My last full form was Po-Eun, then I started Ge-Baek but that's when I left.:(

Q

Quick Sand

Forms, I'm all about Forms. I love them. Right now I'm only a green belt in my style so I only know 3 forms but the 4th and the 5th look great. I can't wait to learn more.

P.S. My style has one tournament each year. Last year I was a white belt and I won 1st place in that Kata division for that rank. My goal is to try and get 1st in the green belt division this year. :D I love forms. :p

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remember all you can do is improve on basics. Each time practice the form a little bit differently. Slow, hard, fast, powerful, tai chi like, focus then on stances, punches, blocks then your form will become better.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have any favorite forms...I despise them all equally. :D

hmm...as for kicks, one of my favorite combos is a left lead leg roundhouse to the back of the calf followed by a right spinning hook.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me it's Poomse, Poomse, Poomse, aka, hyung/forms if you're a non-WTF affiliated practitioner. I can get a really good, hard work out when I don't have any training partners by just doing poomse. My favorite WTF color belt form is Taeguek Sam Jang because it is the first of the forms that really incorporates both foot and hand techniques. I also like Koryo because when it's performed correctly it looks so smooth and always dynamic. Cool!

I'm just beginning to learn the WTF Palgwe patterns, so I'll get back to you later, later with my thoughts on those after I learn them... ;)

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
I like Se Jong, because of the direction of the pattern!:asian:

I looked at my old USTF patterns book and Se-Jong is for 6th Dan :eek:

The last one listed is Tong-Il, do you know that one yet?

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Klondike93
I looked at my old USTF patterns book and Se-Jong is for 6th Dan :eek:

The last one listed is Tong-Il, do you know that one yet?

No, I wish! The only reason I know Se Jong was that it was taught to me out of sequence of the first TKD group I was with back in 87'. But I enjoy that form thoroughly !:asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by JDenz
pipe wrench to revolver to foot stomps

Hey, we don't wack people here on Sat nites!

Go hang out at the pizzaria, or something!

Even "Made Men" like you, and the rest of the "Bunch From Buffalo" have rules, don't ya?:confused:

F

fissure

Old style form - Bal Sek (bassai), WTF poomse - Pyongwon and Chonkwon.
Favorite techs. - counter back kick, used against an "open side" round kick attack.Reverse punch to the collar bone area, where the chest protector doesn't cover! (assuming we're talking about sport sparring techs)
I also like shin blocks .... illegal in TKD sparring, but in class they let me get away with it, so far.
Not so KK!Shin blocking is legal in WTF competition.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by karatekid1975
I also like shin blocks .... illegal in TKD sparring, but in class they let me get away with it, so far.

I love shin checks. once the kick is deflected, hell, your leg is already chambered for a front/side kick, THROW IT. the first class I had at my current school, I was in TKD at the time and I was going against the ranking student in the class. he and I each threw a right round kick and clashed shins...there was a resounding crack as everyone's face had a deer-in-headlights gaze and the jaws hit the floor. after that...I really don't feel anything in my shins anymore. this is a favorite block against some of the college kids at the gym class we have at the local college when we spar them, because they don't know what to do after their kick is blocked. ;)

Latest Discussions