Favorite Self Defense Technique

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with that.
At this point, you are leaving the self defense, and entering the fight realm.

The precursor to this is the self defense, the situation you have been put in, this has techniques to be prevented before it happens, body language, verbal communication, statistical observation about the environment- these are the best tools/techniques for self defense. Once these have failed you have become involved in a fight (and potentially your friends/family).
I read that term the other way around. Self-defense is what you do when there’s an attack to defend against.

I’m not saying you are wrong - just pointing out there isn’t a consensus on that term.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read that term the other way around. Self-defense is what you do when there’s an attack to defend against.

I’m not saying you are wrong - just pointing out there isn’t a consensus on that term.

And there is a whole bunch of pre fight. If you want to win fights as well

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Yes, definitely much grey area on the edge of the fight.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like to have a plan going in.
Without a plan, you will do whatever that your opponent wants you to do. He punches at you. You then punch back. You will soon find out that you are playing your opponent's game. After your boxing opponent knocks you down on the ground, you suddenly realize that you are a wrestler and not a boxer.

If you are a wrestler, your plan should be to obtain a clinch and then take your opponent down. You should not try to exchange punches with your opponent.

On the wrestling mat, your plan can be as simple as:

- Try your favor moves 3 times. If fail
- Try to use your favor moves to set up the 2nd move. If fail
- Play 100% defense and wait for opportunity.

In other words, first you try to create opportunity. If fail, you then wait for opportunity.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everyone has a plan... until they get punched in the face.
- Mike Tyson
This may be true in the boxing ring. It may not be true in the MMA cage, or on the wrestling mat. A wrestler should not play boxing game with a boxer. A boxer should not play wrestling game with a wrestler.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This may be true in the boxing ring. It may not be true in the MMA cage, or on the wrestling mat. A wrestler should not play boxing game with a boxer. A boxer should not play wrestling game with a wrestler.
You’re missing the point. While Mike Tyson’s intellect is about as deep as a cup of water, there’s quite a bit to that quote. And I’m pretty sure someone else who’s famous said it first. But anyway...

Everyone thinks they’ve got a rock solid plan. Once they get a bit rattled, most people forget that plan or completely abandon it.

Everyone thinks they’ve got a great plan and everything will work out the exact way they think it will. Then reality sets in and things don’t go as planned.

It’s just as applicable to life, MMA, etc. as it is to boxing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re missing the point. While Mike Tyson’s intellect is about as deep as a cup of water, there’s quite a bit to that quote. And I’m pretty sure someone else who’s famous said it first. But anyway...

Everyone thinks they’ve got a rock solid plan. Once they get a bit rattled, most people forget that plan or completely abandon it.

Everyone thinks they’ve got a great plan and everything will work out the exact way they think it will. Then reality sets in and things don’t go as planned.

It’s just as applicable to life, MMA, etc. as it is to boxing.
I think the point of having a plan is not just to think about it, but to practice the strategy of it. So, my first plan is to get in tight, control the arms, and get to grappling. If they seem eager to do that, I'll use a different plan (get to just outside range and use entering strikes to control the grappler). I practice those plans, including their failure mode (what happens if the plan fails). Boxers have plans, and plans for adjusting the plans if their opponent makes the first plan untenable. Sometimes plans do actually fall fully apart, and we're left scrambling. That's either because we screwed up, or they got lucky, or they were just better than us.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the point of having a plan is not just to think about it, but to practice the strategy of it.
From a wrestler's point of view, when my opponent has right leg forward or left leg forward, my plan will be completely different. Since I always have my right leg forward. When my opponent has

- right leg forward, I can attack his 1st side (outside of his right leg) and 2nd side (inside of his right leg).
- left leg forward, I can attack his 3rd side (inside of his left leg) and 4th side (outside of his left leg).

Since the techniques that can be applied on 1st side, 2nd side, 3rd side, or 4th side are different, my plan will depend on how my opponent will position himself.

When my opponent has

- right leg forward, I try to move toward his right (my left).
- left leg forward, I try to move toward his left (my right).

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the point of having a plan is not just to think about it, but to practice the strategy of it. So, my first plan is to get in tight, control the arms, and get to grappling. If they seem eager to do that, I'll use a different plan (get to just outside range and use entering strikes to control the grappler). I practice those plans, including their failure mode (what happens if the plan fails). Boxers have plans, and plans for adjusting the plans if their opponent makes the first plan untenable. Sometimes plans do actually fall fully apart, and we're left scrambling. That's either because we screwed up, or they got lucky, or they were just better than us.
In every fight, one person’s plan didn’t work out.

Edit: except maybe in a draw.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In every fight, one person’s plan didn’t work out.

Edit: except maybe in a draw.
That doesn’t mean it fell apart. If you and I spar, and are reasonably matched, we will both make use of our plans. We might even both find some level of success with our plans, getting positions we want and landing blows we like.

Someone will still win (my money is on the guy with Kyokushin background).

Latest Discussions