Drill 1 step 1 punch 1000 times

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After have tried many different punching drills (I don't want to try kicking drill), The following drill is still the easiest one for me. It's as simple as "step in and punch".

Will someone be able to come up a drill that's easier than this?

That walking punch (or its equivalent in various styles) is probably the simplest moving repetitive drill - can't imagine much simpler. I've drilled equivalents from boxing, Karate, etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I run, I like to go through all the MA skills that I have learned through my head. I will put every 10 MA skills in 1 group. If I can come up with

- 10 group, I will remember 100 MA skills.
- 20 group, I will remember 200 MA skills.

Sometime I'll group MA information in such a way that if I use this move, how many different ways that my opponent may respond to it. Also, how many different ways that I can respond to those responds. MA will get very complicate this way pretty soon.

This way, I won't feel guilty when I run.
I can't do that while I run. My body wants to repeat the technique, and I start to lose rhythm.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't do that while I run. My body wants to repeat the technique, and I start to lose rhythm.

I despise running. My rule is: if you see me running, you better run too. Because someone is chasing me. With a chainsaw. And shooting them didn't stop them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I despise running. My rule is: if you see me running, you better run too. Because someone is chasing me. With a chainsaw. And shooting them didn't stop them.

I used to love running. I still have some hope that my legs will let me get back to running distance regularly. In fact, I'm signed up for a 10-mile mud run this year. I wouldn't expect to run the entire thing, even if I was running regularly right now, but I'd love to run about half of it.

I find running moderately boring, but that just frees my mind up to play with ideas (or do the math, if no ideas present). There was a time - back in my teens - when I occasionally sang along to whatever songs were in my head. Now that seems like lunacy.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone who performs standing meditation or tree qi gong learns how to stand without effort.
When I worked in the Ideal Toy Company in Queens, NYC, I had to stand 8 hours to handle the machine that open every 6 seconds. I then had to pick up all the plastic parts from the machine and drop into different boxes.

- Some people have to stand 8 hours as daily job.
- Others "hug tree" and pretend they are the only people on earth who know how to stand effortless.

hug_tree.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you. A friend of mine told me that his 97 years old father still run 3 miles daily 1 year before passed away. I will never give up my running. If I stop it one day, I may never be able to pick it up again.
I do wonder if my legs would have held up better if I'd kept running. I got away from it in my 30's, and have tried 3 times in my 40's to start back.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I worked in the Ideal Toy Company in Queens, NYC, I had to stand 8 hours to handle the machine that open every 6 seconds. I then had to pick up all the plastic parts from the machine and drop into different boxes.

- Some people have to stand 8 hours as daily job.
- Others "hug tree" and pretend they are the only people on earth who know how to stand effortless.

hug_tree.jpg

There is a little more to standing like that than learning how to stand effortlessly. If that is the only reason you do this type of Zhan Zhaung the don't bother wasting your time.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a little more to standing like that than learning how to stand effortlessly. If that is the only reason you do this type of Zhan Zhaung the don't bother wasting your time.
I know, when you hug the tree, you should think about as you are hugging your girl.

I still believe that

- running is better than walking.
- walking is better than standing.
- standing is better than sitting.
- sitting is better than laying down.
- laying down is better than to be dead.

If you move a

- tree, that tree will die.
- person, that person will live long.

The human body is good to move around than to be still. When you lay down in your coffin, you will be static for a long time. The time that you can move your body can only be about 100 years. When you are still alive, you should move, walk, run, dance, jump, flip in the air, and enjoy your life. When you die, you can have your coffin to be standing straight, so your dead body can be in a "tree hug" posture for another 1,000 years.

I don't do "tree hugging". I do many different ZZ standing.

羅漢观天 (Luo Han Guan Tian) Lou Han looks at sky

bend_back.png

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know, when you hug the tree, you should think about as you are hugging your girl.

I still believe that

If you move a

- tree, that tree will die.
- person, that person will live long.

The human body is good to move around than to be still. When you lay down in your coffin, you will be static for a long time. The time that you can move your body can only be about 100 years. When you are still alive, you should move, walk, run, dance, jump, flip in the air, and enjoy your life. When you die, you can have your coffin to be standing straight, so your dead body can be in a "tree hug" posture for another 1,000 years.

I don't do "tree hugging". I do many different ZZ standing.

羅漢观天 (Luo Han Guan Tian) Lou Han looks at sky

bend_back.png

I do more than standing post as well, but like meditation, which also does not move, it has its benefits. One must train ones mind too. And meditation is being studied rather extensively these days and it looks like it may be rather beneficial for the brain

As to this

Try not lying down...and only running, walking standing or sitting...or if you think running is best then only run......and you will soon find out how important lying down actually is..... your body needs it, when you are lying down your body repairs damage....if you don't, you don't sleep..and then you die.......so are running, walking, standing, and sitting better than lying down...or are they all equally important parts of living?

Like Zhang Zhuan training

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
It might take 1,000 tries just to get the form right. :)

Seriously, I think it would take some time before I could work up to 1,000, if ever, even once I had the form nailed down. I fully appreciate the value of repetition, but I don't think 1,000 repetitions of the same thing in a row would work for me mentally. Maybe something like this - 50 punches of a specific kind with one hand, 50 with the other; 50 of certain kind of kick with one leg, then with the other; 50 ... I don't know... backhand chops with one hand, then the other... and so on.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It might take 1,000 tries just to get the form right. :)
It's important to separate which part of the move is used for compressing - inhale, and which part of the move is used for releasing - exhale. If you coordinate all the compressing as 1 move, and coordinate all the releasing as the 2nd move. No matter how complicate a move may be, it can be as simple as just 2 moves.

Not all MA system use "compress and release" power generation method. But I like to apply this method in all the MA systems that I have cross trained.

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guess what, construction site workers who stand all day for 2 weeks can stand without effort too.
Those calisthenics guys who train in the park even without a routine will eventually perform push ups effortlessly.

People who work construction jobs tend to suffer back pain, stiff tired or worn out joints, etc.; not the best example. Try standing in one place for 8 hours, without moving. If a construction worker had to, they would start moving around, bending their knees, walking around a bit, anything to loosen up, because their job entails moving around in a variety of dynamic movements, not turning to stone from standing still or doing one specific movement. Check with a cashier that has to bag your groceries; back pain, stiff joints, aching knees. Push ups effortlessly doesn't necessarily mean 1000 push ups effortlessly, or without wear and tear, especially if you're doing that DAILY rather than a variety of dynamic movements. The reason they do qi gong, tai chi and such in China is because they're health centric, and are relieved from pain and injury by performing the meditative movements or static meditation.

What exactly is tree qigong and push up qigong?

But before that; define qigong as you know it

Well, "as I know it", it's entering a meditative and physiologically receptive mental state while performing some practice, according to skill level (as in, what practice you can perform qi gong in), and improving your skill on an intra-physiological level (like the programming of a computer application), manipulating basic forces and even unknown and often neglected ones. So muscle rate coding, muscle recruitment patterns, blood pressure, and fluid levels would behave differently than when in normal consciousness (mindset), because you are so receptive and focused on your own performance of an activity. It's also more holistic and aesthetic, rather than the mind focusing on specifics it improves your aesthetic logic (i.e. analogic) of the body. This is already something we do, when we feel or sense qualities and changes in our physiological state and make associations of what's good to do when and where, what's bad to do when and where, etc, but that happens less often, with less sophistication and less receptively than with qi gong. We can feel more or less "fresh", "invigorated", "accomplished", "fluid", "strong", so on and so forth, but qi gong is meant to bring you in contact with more of these qualities at once and to process them more intelligently and thoroughly.

I already posted some articles on tree qi gong you can check out. Attempting to perform qi gong or meditation whilst doing push ups is similar in principle, but requires some learning and skill development like anything does when applying it to something new.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who lacks a fairly severe physical disability (and who isn't a toddler) already stands effortlessly without doing any qi gong. It's something most people master well before starting kindergarten. Does standing require any significant effort for you?

Rather rude and insulting. Can you stand in one spot for 8 hours without any pain, discomfort, and stiffness? Without walking around or moving too much at all? People who perform qi gong learn subtle techniques and principles by being receptive to their body whilst performing activities; not basically receptive, but deeply receptive (meditative). There are already clear benefits for meditation, or do you already know how to sit and do nothing? They're not the same thing at all. Increased grey matter, improved happiness, improved cognition, improved health long-term and over-all, improved focus, and a few other things are the result of meditation.

And that has nothing to do with your statement that the poster doesn't know how to do a push-up correctly, nor does anyone else.

It's a turn of phrase. If I wanted to be very literal, I would say "many people don't". People can perform a 1000 reps but stop at 500 because their knees or some joint starts hurting/aching. People can perform a 1000 reps but not every day or even 3x a week. Unless you have perfectly developed and balanced musculature and tendons, you can't naturally get that sort of mileage without wearing out the inside or outside of the tires or something breaking down (a metaphor). The remedy is qi gong. The reason is because of what qi gong is. What qi gong is, as it means to me, is stated above; as it is understood by others, you can search for yourself with some google fu. You can find some more info in the tree qi gong links I posted if you don't want to google it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a turn of phrase. If I wanted to be very literal, I would say "many people don't". People can perform a 1000 reps but stop at 500 because their knees or some joint starts hurting/aching. People can perform a 1000 reps but not every day or even 3x a week. Unless you have perfectly developed and balanced musculature and tendons, you can't naturally get that sort of mileage without wearing out the inside or outside of the tires or something breaking down (a metaphor). The remedy is qi gong. The reason is because of what qi gong is. What qi gong is, as it means to me, is stated above; as it is understood by others, you can search for yourself with some google fu. You can find some more info in the tree qi gong links I posted if you don't want to google it.
It's not a "turn of phrase" when you tell the poster they didn't know how to do one right. The other half (nobody does) is a poor choice of wording if you are trying to communicate.

Unless someone is genetically gifted or quite young (or perhaps it requires both), doing 1000 of the most activities every day is likely to lead to injury.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, "as I know it", it's entering a meditative and physiologically receptive mental state while performing some practice, according to skill level (as in, what practice you can perform qi gong in), and improving your skill on an intra-physiological level (like the programming of a computer application), manipulating basic forces and even unknown and often neglected ones. So muscle rate coding, muscle recruitment patterns, blood pressure, and fluid levels would behave differently than when in normal consciousness (mindset), because you are so receptive and focused on your own performance of an activity. It's also more holistic and aesthetic, rather than the mind focusing on specifics it improves your aesthetic logic (i.e. analogic) of the body. This is already something we do, when we feel or sense qualities and changes in our physiological state and make associations of what's good to do when and where, what's bad to do when and where, etc, but that happens less often, with less sophistication and less receptively than with qi gong. We can feel more or less "fresh", "invigorated", "accomplished", "fluid", "strong", so on and so forth, but qi gong is meant to bring you in contact with more of these qualities at once and to process them more intelligently and thoroughly.

I already posted some articles on tree qi gong you can check out. Attempting to perform qi gong or meditation whilst doing push ups is similar in principle, but requires some learning and skill development like anything does when applying it to something new.

First, do you realize there are different types of Qigong: Medical, Martial and Scholar. Also that there are different categories; Internal and external.

And I am not looking to learn what you are calling "Tree Qigong" I already teach it. I am wondering what you think it is. So the articles are of no importance.

You are approaching qigong from the external perspective and that is all well and good with what you are calling "Pushup" qigong, although I think you may be missing the point. What you are talking about is also talked about by Bruce Lee in his first book "Chinese Gung Fu: The Philosophical Art of Self-Defense" and it is not exactly Qigong. You may want to pick that up. I also recommend that you read "The Root of Chinese Qigong: Secrets of Health, Longevity, & Enlightenment" by Yang Jwing-Ming it will give you a much better understanding of what Qigong is

However the Zhang Zhuan posture; Tree, Post, etc. whatever you prefer to call it. Is not an external practice and there are many, including myself, that do not call it qigong at all. But then there are those that do and I am not going to argue that point. Your approach to that, based on your rather long answer about what qigong is says you are missing the mark on that one

And, I do not mean to offend, but your writing style, in your answer, seems a bit stilted.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try standing in one place for 8 hours, without moving.

I cannot imagine any circumstances in which I would WANT to. This would be incredibly unhealthy. I don't see any reason why I'd want to intentionally set myself up for a DVT.

Can you stand in one spot for 8 hours without any pain, discomfort, and stiffness? Without walking around or moving too much at all?

No. Doing so would be stupid and incredibly unhealthy.
I do, however, spend 12 hour shifts on my feet, including heavy lifting, without the slightest difficulty.

[QUOTE}
People who perform qi gong learn subtle techniques and principles by being receptive to their body whilst performing activities; not basically receptive, but deeply receptive (meditative). There are already clear benefits for meditation, or do you already know how to sit and do nothing? They're not the same thing at all. Increased grey matter, improved happiness, improved cognition, improved health long-term and over-all, improved focus, and a few other things are the result of meditation.[/QUOTE]

Really? Increased grey matter? Please show me proof. I'll accept post-mortem exams, CT, MRI or PET scans.
What utter nonsense.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I'm not working, training, or hiking with my wife, I'll never run when I can walk, walk when I can stand, stand when I can sit, or sit when I can lie the F down.

It's why man invented the remote.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe that meditation and qi-gong can have a healthy place in ones life.

However, everything must be done within reason.

Extensive, multi-hour sessions of standing meditation, or sitting and doing nothing, simply burn up hours of your life in the pursuit of some nebulous benefit that someone told you you would get, with little or no evidence to support it.

What a waste of time and waste of a life.

If some zen master outlined an 8-hour qi-gong and meditation schedule that he promised would let you live to be 200 years old if you did it every day without fail, would you go for it?

That would be throwing your entire life away in chase of something that is likely untrue, and certainly has little evidence to support it. What a hollow, lonely, unproductive life that would be. Friends? Family? Education? Travel? Satisfying career? Nope. None of it. You are too busy meditating all the time. Who buys your groceries and pays your rent for you?

Utterly undoable and a waste if you tried.

What a fantasy.

Latest Discussions