Drill 1 step 1 punch 1000 times

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you ever drilled "1 step 1 punch" 1000 times non-stop? Please share your experience here.

For example, to repeat XingYi Pi Chuan 1000 times (about 500 meters) non-stop.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah awesome, absolutely love the idea...

I think max we've done in the dojo was 200 or so and that was stationary. And a 1000 kicks onto a pad fundraiser thing.

I reckon that's a great practice, I know if ever I've done a lot of basics, I always learn something new about it, and you really get to hone in and focus on the subtleties of it, rather than just try to 'crank them out'.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has done it, AND how long it took them!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah wow nice, yeah still would be draining to do for a mile. Wow, it's really refreshing watching that style of martial arts, so different to karate (what I'm used to). I can't imagine doing 1000 lunge punches in zenkutsu dachi (forward leaning stance) though XD

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever done 1,000 repetitions of any single thing without changing tasks, unless we count steps when walking/running.

I don't think I ever will. I get bored long before I'd get to 1,000. My personal max is probably closer to 100 at a time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Have you ever drilled "1 step 1 punch" 1000 times non-stop? Please share your experience here.

1000 time non-stop...no

But I did take a 5 week period and train
Piquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day (All 5 elements done right side 100 left side 100 so total of 200)
Zuanquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day
Bengquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day
Paoquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day
Hengquan 100 times a day, non-stop for 7 day

Also rotated through all 5 elements for about a 1/2 mile in a covered walk way from my office to the capital building..... sure the Police enjoyed the last 100 feet since that is what the security camera is watching. It was a couple hours before lunch so I was the only one on the walkway. Just realized part of that is walled by glass as it crosses a road.... likely gave anyone who saw that a show too.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who had practiced one kick 10,000 times

And Bengquan on a beach seems like it would be harder than on hard ground.... I'd try it. but I am about 4 hours, by car not Bengquan :D, from a beach

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Also

Back when I briefly trained the Police/Military version of Sanda, my shifu wanted me to train absolutely everything in 500 per leg/arm repetitions, including palm strikes on trees... I only did 100 to 150... he was not happy..... possibly another reason why I no longer train the style

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever done 1,000 repetitions of any single thing without changing tasks, unless we count steps when walking/running.

I don't think I ever will. I get bored long before I'd get to 1,000. My personal max is probably closer to 100 at a time.

That's my problem with running. I get bored long before I get to a mile.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I realize it's a different style and all, but it looks like he's punching twice per step.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oddly, that's the one place it doesn't happen. When I could run distance (currently out of running shape, and my joints may no longer be capable of 5+ miles), I could run 7 miles or more and just let my mind wander.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Maybe not exactly 1000, but I often devote whole sessions to one strike or technique.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have tried to replace my 3 miles running by non-stop MA drill. Instead of using number of reps, I like to use the distance to judge my effort. Here are what I have found out.

To repeat the following drills N times non-stop.

1. jumping kick,
2. non-jumping kick,
3. foot sweep,
4. punch,

For the amount of energy spent, 1 > 2 > 3 > 4

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm confused. I have no idea about what's being talked about.
I have read the following:

When you train the XingYi Pi Chuan (or any punching drill), your arm will go out and then pull back. It's like 1 exhale and 1 inhale. After you have drilled this for 500 meters (assume 1 punch takes 1/2 meter, 500 meters takes about 1000 punches), you breathing will be long, smooth, and deep. Your energy will be built up. You then start to understand the "body breathing". If you have any physical problem, this training can cure that problem. When you get old, your body will be weaker. This training can make your body strong.

I believe to use punch out and pull back as breath out and breath in to coordinate body move with breathing is the main training here.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions