Dynamic punch

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Those are not blocks. Those are to use your hand as your kicking target.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av838090985/

Look carefully. We called it secondary defense. Always present in forms. You never practiced a secondary to guard against counter-attacks during kicking and punching? It's a standard in beginning to intermediate training, and throughout.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing that I don't understand is why this kind of footwork and punching combo doesn't exist in any MA form? I would love to create a form that contain this footwork and punching combo.

dyr93Qs.gif
This type of footwork exists in Jow Ga forms. The video above is a rare case where the person retreats straight back for a mile. Most people would take one of the other options:
1. Turn and run
2. Step off to the side
3. Duck and go under for a take down.

The part of the Jow Ga form that has this, the advance forward is smaller. Instead of chasing people down. The advancing steps are more sneaky. They are just enough to make a person back up a little, but not enough to make them feel like they need to run away. Even thought the person backs up a little, we will still be right there in front of their face because we would have taken that advancing step.

In this clip you can see how he's only able to retreat as far as his rear leg. This is where your circling arms could have come in handy. The danger of advancing really big like this would be that it now becomes easier to sweep a person. The good news is that most people don't know how to sweep, so 95% of the time you won't be in danger. But if a person knows how to sweep then, they will make short work of this forward pressure.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you chase and never catch him, he might figure out your pattern and counter you. You need to charge when you can really rock him. I figure that three or four steps is about the limit because if you haven’t caught him by then, it’s time to do something else before he figures you out.
I had someone charge me like that and it only takes about 3 punches, before you get the feeling that your opponent is still going to charge in. The guy in the video figured it out quickly as well. He just didn't have a better response other than go straight back.

Going straight back like that is probably more of a trained bad habit than a natural one

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing that I don't understand is why this kind of footwork and punching combo doesn't exist in any MA form? I would love to create a form that contain this footwork and punching combo.
If it works in an MMA contest, it'll get used in MMA. If it doesn't work, it'll get tossed by the wayside. MMA guys are only interested in whether or not it is useful in the ring.

I can guarantee you that whatever punching style/type/technique/system you want to name has been tried in MMA. If you don't see it now it's because it either never worked or doesn't work any longer.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
B: To chase your opponent when he is moving back.
Moving straight back repeatedly is seldom a good idea. It's usually a better idea to move back and indirect.

That said, it's human nature to try to move straight back repeatedly, retreating. But it makes it childishly easy for the attacker to take advantage in several different ways.

If someone is retreating straight backwards, with repeated backsteps, it takes little skill to punch your way forward into him, trying to force him back yet again.

Sure it works, but it's not impressive and it's not particularly skillful. All it requires is aggression and mediocre punching.

Same goes for bum rushing a takedown on a guy retreating by repeatedly backsteping. Sure it works. But you're not gonna get any style points from me.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my yesterday class, we trained this footwork 20 times. In the beginning, we started from only 10 feet distance. It was just slow forward steps. After 20 reps, we had reached to the running speed. We could reached to maximum 18 feet distance.

I find some advantages for this kind of training:

- Since the leading stiff arm is similar to the rhino guard, you can use it to destroy your opponent's defense.
- You will develop courage and feel comfortable to attack your opponent from a farther distance.
- By adding a small jump, this footwork can cover more distance (I really like that small jump).

I want to try to repeat this footwork 100 times daily for a month and see what benefit that I can get. May be I finally have found some MA training that can replace my 3 miles running.

running-punch-slow.gif

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that whatever punching style/type/technique/system you want to name has been tried in MMA. If you don't see it now it's because it either never worked or doesn't work any longer.
I'm going to disagree with this one. I'm see a lot more long fist techniques now than I have in the past, and I'm not talking about haymakers. I can tell the difference because the long fist punches have a distinct circular motion. It winds, up, goes out, and it comes back in. For example @ 6:30 mark, classic long fist. technique. I see tons of this where I didn't see them before. We'll probably start to see other TMA techniques that we haven't seen before as fighters are looking for new and unexpected ways to attack.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my yesterday class, we trained this footwork 20 times. In the beginning, we started from only 10 feet distance. It was just slow forward steps. After 20 reps, we had reached to the running speed. We could reached to maximum 18 feet distance.

I find some advantages for this kind of training:

- Since the leading stiff arm is similar to the rhino guard, you can use it to destroy your opponent's defense.
- You will develop courage and feel comfortable to attack your opponent from a farther distance.
- By adding a small jump, this footwork can cover more distance (I really like that small jump).

I want to try to repeat this footwork 100 times daily for a month and find out what benefit that I can get.

running-punch-slow.gif
I can only see this as an advantage if the person can move back faster than you can advance. I've sparred against a newbie who was chubby, but he had the gift of retreating and he could move move back faster than I could advance when my technique had a 45 degree angle in it. Where other people would freeze, he would move out of fear, really quick, but where my first and second strike would be too short to throw. My third strike would set up my footwork for a charge. The second strike was more to keep him from advancing on me, It's thrown hard just in case, but I'm not expecting anything other than preventing my opponents advance. This is what It seems like I'm seeing in the video here. The extended fist hides the advance and is use more like "jousting" than a punch..

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The extended fist hides the advance and is use more like "jousting" than a punch..
The extended fist can act like a boxer's stiff jab arm in front of opponent's face that

- keep opponent away, and
- ready to punch with back cross when opportunity arrive.

jab.jpg

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with this one. I'm see a lot more long fist techniques now than I have in the past, and I'm not talking about haymakers. I can tell the difference because the long fist punches have a distinct circular motion. It winds, up, goes out, and it comes back in. For example @ 6:30 mark, classic long fist. technique. I see tons of this where I didn't see them before. We'll probably start to see other TMA techniques that we haven't seen before as fighters are looking for new and unexpected ways to attack.
Old school boxing. Used to be called a round blow or sometimes a swing.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old school boxing. Used to be called a round blow or sometimes a swing.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)
I couldn't find much on the description of a round blow and what I found didn't sound the same as the long fist techniques. I found the description below and it didn't sound like what I've been doing or the new stuff I've seen in MMA. The first sentence below isn't how a long fist technique is powered. I don't pull my hand back and then send it forward. This would mean that I
1. Pull my hand back then send it forward.
2. When I throw my long fist techniques, my fist are going in the same direction like a wheel.

"When about to deliver a round blow it is impossible to do so without first drawing the hand back. This gives notice of your intention to hit, and prepares your opponent for what is coming. As most of Welsh's blows were of the circular variety, McFarland always heeded the notice of Welsh's intention, with the result that most of his blows went very wide of their mark--so wide, indeed, that Welsh looked almost foolish, and the faults and weaknesses of his style--the American style--were clearly shown. McFarland kept on piling up points, and I fully expected to see Welsh suddenly flash into brilliant and bewildering attack, but it never came, and he looked a loser round after round, and never seemed to me to equal his opponent in either speed or skill. McFarland was far more precise in his hitting than Welsh was, and he varied his attack very nicely; he judges his distances well, and his footwork was really splendid. His ducking and slipping reminded me of Pedlar Palmer in his best days, and, taken altogether, he was much the superior boxer, in style, execution, speed, footwork, judgment and precision of hitting. There was not a stage of the contest when McFarland could not have been declared the winner. He won from beginning to end, and I tender him my sincere sympathy at being deprived of the victory he had so fairly earned." source: Old timers' technique/style descriptions

I found another source that described it as a "primitive hook" "Three years earlier, Dempsey had knocked the Canadian out in the 13th Round. In the 32nd round of this bare-knuckle affair, Lablanche threw a “round blow,” essentially a primitive hook." Source JL: The Pivot Punch

This one is from a .pdf book online source: http://www.nycsteampunk.com/bartitsu/manuals/TheArtAndPracticeOfBoxing1825.pdf
"The parts of the body and face, which are subject to suffer by round blows,are the temporal arteries, the jaw-bone, the glands of the ears,the ribs, and the loins; those subject to straight ones, the eyes,the mouth, and the pit of the stomach"

Long fists hits similar locations except the ribs and loins. For example, The long fist techniques that I'm seeing would not be effective against the ribs because of the big circular path.

I even went to look at some of my sparring videos to see if I was pulling my hand back. For the long fist punches that I'm referring to, You either rotate your arm forward or backwards. Never back then forward, to do so will greatly cut down the speed and power. It's also not a punch that you can just stop and then send it in the opposite direction. If I were to throw a back hand or hammer fist off the punch that I'm referring to, then I would easily tear up my shoulder. Below is an example. of how my arm rotates in one direction.

This wasn't a hard nor fast punch. The punch grazed him because he's sneaky fighter and stepped on my foot which prevented me from moving forward. It looks like I'm pulling my arm back, but I'm just circling my arm forward. Notice how it drops down to my knee and then circles back up. The bigger long fist punches follow a similar path. I may start from the back, but I don't pull back, then go forward.

ezgif-6-7635fb29fc3a.gif

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA is still too young. Many TMA techniques have not been used in MMA yet. Give another 100 years, there won't be any difference between TMA and MMA.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA is still too young. Many TMA techniques have not been used in MMA yet. Give another 100 years, there won't be any difference between TMA and MMA.
I think you are right considering that we are seeing an increasing number of TMA techniques with something new every year.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you are right considering that we are seeing an increasing number of TMA techniques with something new every year.
I have not seen this throw been used in UFC yet - extend your leg between your opponent's legs. It creates an excellent side mount opportunity on the ground. I'm sure someone will use it in UFC in the next 20 years.

Wang-spring.gif

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I couldn't find much on the description of a round blow and what I found didn't sound the same as the long fist techniques. I found the description below and it didn't sound like what I've been doing or the new stuff I've seen in MMA. The first sentence below isn't how a long fist technique is powered. I don't pull my hand back and then send it forward. This would mean that I
2. When I throw my long fist techniques, my fist are going in the same direction like a wheel.

"When about to deliver a round blow it is impossible to do so without first drawing the hand back. This gives notice of your intention to hit, and prepares your opponent for what is coming. As most of Welsh's blows were of the circular variety, McFarland always heeded the notice of Welsh's intention, with the result that most of his blows went very wide of their mark--so wide, indeed, that Welsh looked almost foolish, and the faults and weaknesses of his style--the American style--were clearly shown. McFarland kept on piling up points, and I fully expected to see Welsh suddenly flash into brilliant and bewildering attack, but it never came, and he looked a loser round after round, and never seemed to me to equal his opponent in either speed or skill. McFarland was far more precise in his hitting than Welsh was, and he varied his attack very nicely; he judges his distances well, and his footwork was really splendid. His ducking and slipping reminded me of Pedlar Palmer in his best days, and, taken altogether, he was much the superior boxer, in style, execution, speed, footwork, judgment and precision of hitting. There was not a stage of the contest when McFarland could not have been declared the winner. He won from beginning to end, and I tender him my sincere sympathy at being deprived of the victory he had so fairly earned." source: Old timers' technique/style descriptions

I found another source that described it as a "primitive hook" "Three years earlier, Dempsey had knocked the Canadian out in the 13th Round. In the 32nd round of this bare-knuckle affair, Lablanche threw a “round blow,” essentially a primitive hook." Source JL: The Pivot Punch

This one is from a .pdf book online source: http://www.nycsteampunk.com/bartitsu/manuals/TheArtAndPracticeOfBoxing1825.pdf
"The parts of the body and face, which are subject to suffer by round blows,are the temporal arteries, the jaw-bone, the glands of the ears,the ribs, and the loins; those subject to straight ones, the eyes,the mouth, and the pit of the stomach"

Long fists hits similar locations except the ribs and loins. For example, The long fist techniques that I'm seeing would not be effective against the ribs because of the big circular path.

I even went to look at some of my sparring videos to see if I was pulling my hand back. For the long fist punches that I'm referring to, You either rotate your arm forward or backwards. Never back then forward, to do so will greatly cut down the speed and power. It's also not a punch that you can just stop and then send it in the opposite direction. If I were to throw a back hand or hammer fist off the punch that I'm referring to, then I would easily tear up my shoulder. Below is an example. of how my arm rotates in one direction.

This wasn't a hard nor fast punch. The punch grazed him because he's sneaky fighter and stepped on my foot which prevented me from moving forward. It looks like I'm pulling my arm back, but I'm just circling my arm forward. Notice how it drops down to my knee and then circles back up. The bigger long fist punches follow a similar path. I may start from the back, but I don't pull back, then go forward.

ezgif-6-7635fb29fc3a.gif

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/old-timers-technique-style-descriptions.625389/
Not that one. One of the issues with old boxing manuals and news reports is that they don't always use the terms equally. I've found this issue with throws like Cross Buttock.

James is a friend but I disagree that the round blow, or swing, was a "primitive hook." It wasn't a primitive anything. It was a circular blow designed for the longer range outfighting of the time. I also wouldn't put Dempsey during the hay-day of the Swing/Round Blow.

I'm not sure what punch Dempsey used against Lablanche. I don't think there's film of that fight so all we have is a sports reporter's description.

Look at the second page, the dedication, right after the Special Thanks portion. Does that name look familiar? :)

There's one version that pulls back the hand but it wasn't favored or popular because, as noted, it telegraphs.

There are others which are more similar to a fencing or knife-fighting Back-cut. I like those much better.

I should also note that for a period of time, "the swing" was considered an inferior technique and linear punches were superior. This would have been roughly in the middle to the end of the London Prize Ring rules period.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA is still too young. Many TMA techniques have not been used in MMA yet.
Absolutely disagree. MMA started as a "battle of the styles" and that's what it was for the first year or so. Since then it has imported fighters from every style including karate, sanshou, judo, muay thai, boxing, wrestling, various kung fu's, etc. There have been hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of sanctioned MMA matches ranging from amateur through professional. And EVERY competitor is looking for the tiniest of edges to use. Any punch that they find which might possibly give them the smallest of an edge will be tried.

If a punching technique is not being used currently in MMA, it's not because it hasn't been tried. It's because the technique either didn't work in MMA competition to start with or it stopped working and was discarded, much like a National League pitcher's fastball only lasts a season or less until every team figures out how to hit off of it.

Give another 100 years, there won't be any difference between TMA and MMA.
Still disagree. MMA and TMA are two different things with two different goals. While there will inevitably be bleed from one to the other, they will never look indistinguishable from each other for the same reasons that an IPSC match doesn't look like an actual self defense with firearms event.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have not seen this throw been used in UFC yet - extend your leg between your opponent's legs. It creates an excellent side mount opportunity on the ground. I'm sure someone will use it in UFC in the next 20 years.

Wang-spring.gif
I don't watch MMA much but I've seen it a couple of times. When I've seen it, the person thrown was pushed up against the cage and was in defensive posture, trying to defend against knees to the inner thigh which gave the thrower opportunity to circle the neck. It didn't look as clean as this Demo, of course.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone is retreating straight backwards, with repeated backsteps, it takes little skill to punch your way forward into him, trying to force him back yet again.

Personally, I would never do it if I believed the fellow was in a position to keep backing away and running. The purpose isn’t to chase someone or force him to back up. The purpose is to be decisive within a few explosive shots. The first one has to land hard, and then you run over the top of him before he has a chance to respond.

If the first shot fails to land, you misjudged the whole thing. If he is able to retreat then it’s time to do something else because your whole attempt has failed.
Sure it works, but it's not impressive and it's not particularly skillful. All it requires is aggression and mediocre punching.

Same goes for bum rushing a takedown on a guy retreating by repeatedly backsteping. Sure it works. But you're not gonna get any style points from me.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Who works for style points? I just want to go home and have dinner. :)

Latest Discussions