Drill 1 step 1 punch 1000 times

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When I

- was young, I put maximum power in each and every punch/kick that I trained. I was in my "physical" stage.
- get older, I no longer think about power. I just let my body to flow.

Don't neglect that I said they have to improve in form and function as well. As well there is my suggestions for improving form and function, which is to incorporate the mind and basically qi gong or meditation. You have to do both. Perhaps "mind in body" when young, and "body in mind" when old. The distance between the two shouldn't be very much however.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It engages the metal element (clarity, respiration) which the lung and large colon are of; they circulate energy, as all strong, pungent, spicy (not hot) foods do. I'll add that sour foods are also a good idea, such as kimchi and sauerkraut, are beneficial as they are to do with the wood element, which affects clarity and breathing as well.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with the statement you made "Copious amounts" and for the record metal also uses white foods as well and wood is associated with the liver and Gall Bladder in TCM and would also include green foods.

Eating is to balance Yin and Yang and there is no such thing as a copious amount of any food to maintain balance

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Zhan zhuang - Wikipedia
Tree Standing Qi Gong - MASSAGE AUSBILDUNG Frankfurt - Heidelberg
Standing Meditation
Standing Like a Tree! What is this Standing Practice?
Standing like a tree - Internal Strength - Energy Gates Qigong

These articles will explain what I'm saying. You can probably just read one of them. It's about body awareness, opening the senses, mind-muscle connection, posture and breathing with your entire body.

I teach Zhan zhuang, Taiji a bit of qigong and I have trained Xingyiquan and for years...what do you want to know

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best marathon runners in the world basically sprints the entire race. His marathon pace is faster than normal people can sprint 20m.

That's a bit overstated, but still a good point. The fastest marathon was in 2:02:57. That's about 16 seconds per 100 yards. A normal, fairly fit person could run 100 yards that quickly, and could certainly run faster for only 20 yards. Still, pretty danged fast to have to keep up for mile after mile.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After I have done 5 days of 1000 non-stop XingYi Pi Chuan, today I started to drill 1000 non-stop XingYi Pao Chuan. Instead of using it for warm-up, today I drill it after my 2 hours regular training. This way I can be more relax when I do it since it will be the last part of the training that I'll do today. The 1000 Pao took me 58 minutes.

I divide the single drill into 3 steps. Starting from the block and punch.

1. Extension - Pivot the front foot, extend the punching arm, put block arm fist next to my waist.
2. Compress - Move back foot next to leading foot, wrap and pull the punching arm back to the waist.
3. Release - Step forward, punch one arm, block another arm, back foot slide in.

This is a good drill to train

- power generation.
- ever punch should followed by a pull.
- All body parts move/stop at the same time.
- Hand coordinate with foot, elbow coordinate with knee, shoulder coordinate with hip.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach Zhan zhuang, Taiji a bit of qigong and I have trained Xingyiquan and for years...what do you want to know
giphy.webp

giphy.gif

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you practicing this for health, form or self defense?
I don't practice any Kung fu so I'm just curious not judgemental.
The XingYi system is always one of my cross training CMA systems. I have always train it for combat (I don't like the term "self-defense"). Starting from 2018, I start to use it for "health". I still have my regular MA combat training. The 1000 Pi (or Pao) is only a small part of my daily training..

Last edited:
Reactions: 666

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And what has that to do with your earlier comment?
If you want to do more push ups, squats, etc. then you need to learn the proper form, muscle recruitment patterns, and whatever else is part of deep learning how to perform exercises at higher and higher reps while improving longevity rather than reducing it. The next line is literally "you'll hurt yourself or have slow results", and then I go on to say how you should be more mindful while performing push ups and learn the proper way to use your body and increase your body intelligence, so that it's safe to perform higher repetitions. I say more about it but that's the gist.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
you need to learn the proper form
Well, yeah obviously. So why did you say "no one does".
You should learn proper form with every exercise like why did you make that statement.
Do you have a proper push up technique?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to do more push ups, squats, etc. then you need to learn the proper form, muscle recruitment patterns, and whatever else is part of deep learning how to perform exercises at higher and higher reps while improving longevity rather than reducing it. The next line is literally "you'll hurt yourself or have slow results", and then I go on to say how you should be more mindful while performing push ups and learn the proper way to use your body and increase your body intelligence, so that it's safe to perform higher repetitions. I say more about it but that's the gist.
Yet, you said (oddly) that they don't know how to do one properly, nor does anyone else.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Says the expert in...which martial art was it again?

Youtube-fu? Preten-do? I forget.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Says the expert in...which martial art was it again?

Youtube-fu? Preten-do? I forget.
Don't even need to be a martial artist to talk about that, but I doubt he has much experience in calisthenics.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I start to think whether I should replace my 1000 punching drill by

- 10 different drills 100 times each, or
- 20 different drills 50 times each, or

I wonder which will give me the most benefit. Any suggestion?