Drill 1 step 1 punch 1000 times

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I start to think whether I should replace my 1000 punching drill by

- 10 different drills 100 times each, or
- 20 different drills 50 times each, or

I wonder which will give me the most benefit. Any suggestion?

purely speculating here, but
if your goal is 1000 techniques in a day
Doing 1000 of 1 technique may give you more, IF you are able to concentrate on every detail of that technique for 1000 reputations. However the risk of getting lazy or boredom is high which could actually go against what you are trying to achieve

10 different drills 100 times each would likely be easier to stay focused on and not lead to laziness or boredom quite as easily,

20 different drills 50 times each again less chance of boredom, but how much of the 20 different things are you going to remember. My first shifu once taught me 30 different forms in 5 different style (Chen Taiji, Bagua, Xingyi staff, Shaolin Long fist, Wu style Jian) in one day and I remembered almost none of it

What is the goal of this 1000/day of 1 form supposed to be? I guess that is what I would be asking myself.
I did 100 a day of one form for a week (right and left totaling 200) and I gained a lot. But if I was not careful somewhere around 50 my mind would start wandering. By the 5th week and the 5th form my concentration was much better, but I think if I tried 1000 at some point I would go on automatic pilot and not be paying attention to what I was doing

Orange Belt
Reaction score
10 - 100 times
or
5 - 200 times

Depends on the drills I guess,if it's just like one punch/kick, then the 200 one.
If it's more complex maybe the 100 one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the variety, both from a personal standpoint (I get less bored), and from the standpoint of working more parts of the body and putting less intensive wear on any single joint (or part thereof). 10 x 100 seems a good balance, or even 5 x 200 if you don't want to have to remember 10 different things to do every time.

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, yeah obviously. So why did you say "no one does".
You should learn proper form with every exercise like why did you make that statement.
Do you have a proper push up technique?

I said no one does because most people would hurt themselves if they tried doing a thousand push ups or any other exercise. So I suggested qi gong, essentially. I didn't claim I could perform better than you or whoever. People tend to get tendinitis from things; listening to your body with deep learning techniques/mindsets can prevent this. The deep learning techniques and mindset has been suggested.

What is so confusing for the people replying; I realize you're still bitter because I don't respect the set standards for excellence in martial arts, but the advice is sound.

Yet, you said (oddly) that they don't know how to do one properly, nor does anyone else.

You're taking things too personally.

Says the expert in...which martial art was it again?

Youtube-fu? Preten-do? I forget.

Bitter. I never claimed superiority, but you're responding to an imagined air of it. I never exclaimed superiority in the other thread either; people merely assume that if someone is trying to reduce the perceived difference between an unskilled and uninitiated person and a skilled and experienced person, that they're doing it out of impure motivations. In truth I want people to see martial arts as incredibly undeveloped and requiring progress and evolution. Physical athleticism or fitness and martial arts are intrinsically linked.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah I agree with the 10 drills 100 times each, I think that would be a good balance, as 20 different drills may be too much, but again depends on what drills you're doing I guess.

I'd even trial out both of those and see how you respond, if you feel you got more out of one than the other. I'd say if you got alot out of the 1000, both of those options may be fine :).

I really want to try the 1000 techniques one, but any tips on the counting of it, and how to not let the focus on counting and remembering that interfere with actually focusing on the technique?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
any tips on the counting of it, and how to not let the focus on counting and remembering that interfere with actually focusing on the technique?
For me, I started from my mail box and drill to my neighbor's mail box, that will be 100 punches. I then turn around and make it 200 punches. If I repeat it 5 times, that will be 1000. In other words, I only count it on the 1st time just to measure the distance. After that I don't count it any more.

Another way to do is to find out how long it will take you 1 rep. For my punching drill, it takes 3.5 seconds (1 inhale, 1 exhale). So 1000 punches will take about 1 hour.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, I started from my mail box and drill to my neighbor's mail box, that will be 100 punches. I then turn around and make it 200 punches. If I repeat it 5 times, that will be 1000. In other words, I only count it on the 1st time just to measure the distance. After that I don't count it any more.

Another way to do is to find out how long it will take you 1 rep. For my punching drill, it takes 3.5 seconds (1 inhale, 1 exhale). So 1000 punches will take about 1 hour.
Ah cheers for that, good idea!

Another one is that I could wear a pedometer in a place that would register only one step per punch hehe, would have to be set in the proper place so as not to go nuts with counting hehe

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah cheers for that, good idea!

Another one is that I could wear a pedometer in a place that would register only one step per punch hehe, would have to be set in the proper place so as not to go nuts with counting hehe
That will work with some pedometers and some techniques. I've noticed that two pedometers I experimented with actually don't pick up my hanmi steps at all - they are too smooth to register as steps. Other drills register fine.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
any tips on the counting of it, ...
Sometime the counting can be helpful. When I run, I like to go through all the Chinese poems in my mind. After I have gone through about 30 poems in my mind, I have already finished my 3 miles running. When my mind is not on my body, I can push my body to another limitation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometime the counting can be helpful. When I run, I like to go through all the Chinese poems in my mind. After I have gone through about 30 poems in my mind, I have already finished my 3 miles running. When my mind is not on my body, I can push my body to another limitation.
When I ran, I kept track of the distance and current timing, and kept doing mental math with overall timing. The math kept my mind busy.

Primal Monk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What's personal about calling you out on your nonsense?
What nonsense? Someone who performs standing meditation or tree qi gong learns how to stand without effort. Someone who performs push up qi gong learns how to perform push ups without effort. Thus, if you wish to increase the intensity of push ups, such as with weight or 1000+ push ups, you can do so safely because your body has learned the movement.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bitter. I never claimed superiority, but you're responding to an imagined air of it. I never exclaimed superiority in the other thread either; people merely assume that if someone is trying to reduce the perceived difference between an unskilled and uninitiated person and a skilled and experienced person, that they're doing it out of impure motivations. In truth I want people to see martial arts as incredibly undeveloped and requiring progress and evolution. Physical athleticism or fitness and martial arts are intrinsically linked.
And you are qualified to speak on this because.....?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What nonsense? Someone who performs standing meditation or tree qi gong learns how to stand without effort. Someone who performs push up qi gong learns how to perform push ups without effort. Thus, if you wish to increase the intensity of push ups, such as with weight or 1000+ push ups, you can do so safely because your body has learned the movement.

What exactly is tree qigong and push up qigong?

But before that; define qigong as you know it

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I ran, I kept track of the distance and current timing, and kept doing mental math with overall timing. The math kept my mind busy.
When I run, I like to go through all the MA skills that I have learned through my head. I will put every 10 MA skills in 1 group. If I can come up with

- 10 group, I will remember 100 MA skills.
- 20 group, I will remember 200 MA skills.

Sometime I'll group MA information in such a way that if I use this move, how many different ways that my opponent may respond to it. Also, how many different ways that I can respond to those responds. MA will get very complicate this way pretty soon.

This way, I won't feel guilty when I run.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After have tried many different punching drills (I don't want to try kicking drill), The following drill is still the easiest one for me. It's as simple as "step in and punch".

Will someone be able to come up a drill that's easier than this?

Last edited:

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guess what, construction site workers who stand all day for 2 weeks can stand without effort too.
Those calisthenics guys who train in the park even without a routine will eventually perform push ups effortlessly.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure that anyone who lacks a fairly severe physical disability (and who isn't a toddler) already stands effortlessly without doing any qi gong. It's something most people master well before starting kindergarten. Does standing require any significant effort for you?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that has nothing to do with your statement that the poster doesn't know how to do a push-up correctly, nor does anyone else.

Latest Discussions