Zachary last weekend fight at the AAU qualifier

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is Zachary my oldest last fight at the AAU qualifier in Houston Texas, we was using this as a warm up before USAT state in a few weeks. He is in Red.

Hope you all enjoy as always comments are welcome, but please do not go into that real TKD versus sport debate. It has been beaten to death everywhere, he loves to compete.
icon6.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good! Harsh fall he takes about 20s in. :(

Harsh fall, but it looked to me like he was more thrown than fell. Looked painful, and could have been ugly.

I always think there are way too many falls in these matches though.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watched that match and kept asking where is the back kick, then at the end he finally used it. He could have used it from beginning to end. Good match. Tell Zach to take what's open more, don't force anything. Hope to see you guys at Nationals.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth...

It looks like he's holding back, trying to decide whether or not it's time to do something. If he wants to counterfight -- he has to recognize when the opponent moves, and act. A good counterfighter almost looks like an offensive fighter...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We will be there this year and yes Zach knows the back kick was there but was trying to get some ring time and work on a few things. He used it when it was needed to end the fight. Master Dong Lee, Master Gary Galloway and Master Song have been working with him. Matter of fact he is staying with Master Galloway and training all week at his school. They have been helping me since I have been sick so much lately.

Watched that match and kept asking where is the back kick, then at the end he finally used it. He could have used it from beginning to end. Good match. Tell Zach to take what's open more, don't force anything. Hope to see you guys at Nationals.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir you are right but at this tournament he was working on what his coaches ask of him, he knew he had this match. His coaches told him the same thing go when it is time and don't wait.

Take this for what it's worth...

It looks like he's holding back, trying to decide whether or not it's time to do something. If he wants to counterfight -- he has to recognize when the opponent moves, and act. A good counterfighter almost looks like an offensive fighter...

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, first, Zack has improved a lot, no argument there. But, one, why were the rings so small? Two, is red out of bounds or is the floor? It was really confusing, thanks.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, first, Zack has improved a lot, no argument there. But, one, why were the rings so small? Two, is red out of bounds or is the floor? It was really confusing, thanks.

Sir it was a local qualifier and so they use smaller rings, can't answer why they just have for years. Second they was letting adult BB go out a little without penalties since it was a smaller ring. Yes he has improved and me and a few other coaches are hoping for a good National this year. Thank you as always Wade. Just for the record how is your health these days, hopefully alot better.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing you at Nationals Terry...Zach and the boys will do Great!!!!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing you at Nationals Terry...Zach and the boys will do Great!!!!

Yes sir it has been a little bit since we have seen each other, have to go get a cold one.