• History

• Racial Affiliation

• Effectiveness

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

muayThaiPerson

hey, i was wondering why you chose to train in the style you chose.i mean what about the style you chose attracted you.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't have self defense up there. When I started MA, I didn't know anything about martial arts, let alone the differences between each art. I didn't care LOL. But once I studied for a while, I learned so much. I think that TSD is a very effective "stand-up" art. I learned a lot of self defense type stuff as well as the low effective kicks mixed with the fun high fancy flying kicks that TSD is famous for.

After I moved, I didn't pick TKD by choice. It was either this school or a Mcdojang (which Rochester is full of McDojangs). I did want something similar to TSD, though.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

that falls under the category of why u started martial arts. i wanted to know why you chose the art not why you chose to do an art.

sorry

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

that falls under the category of why u started martial arts. i wanted to know why you chose the art not why you chose to do an art.

sorry

muayThaiPerson,

I think you misunderstood karatekid1975 unless I am also confused.
I wanted to start "karate" to learn self-defense.
It was blind luck that I walked into a Kenpo school, it is where my parents took me.

So my motivation was Self Defense. I picked the art at random based on where my parents took me to sign up.

Does that make sense? :confused:
:asian:

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

I voted on effectiveness because that's what it all comes down to. BTW, what do you mean by racial affiliation or whatever you called it? What does race have to do with the martial arts? Damn, you come up with odd topics.:)

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I chose the system that I do now because of it's effectiveness. I used to trai in American Kenpo but I wanted more. I started training in Ryukyu Kempo so that I could add pressure points to my Kenpo. One night after a grappling class, Senseii put a video of Mr. Moneymaker & Mr. Muncie doing demos on. On this video these guys were doing stuff that I had never seen before but had heard of. I stopped training in AK and took up Ryukyu Kempo full time.
--Dave

OP
S

Shinzu

i did not select any of the above. i started karate because it was karate... not any particular style. i think if i would have been first introduced to TKD, then thats what i would be doing. i joined simply because i was interested, but during my journey it has become a part of me.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

oh, to those who said self defense, then it would best be in the 'effectiveness' category. becuase self defence is why u started martial arts. effectiveness is why you chose that art. sorry bout that.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
muayThaiPerson wrote:

"that falls under the category of why u started martial arts. i wanted to know why you chose the art not why you chose to do an art."

Oh ok. That's a tough one, because I didn't know anything at all about martial arts (not enough to choose an "art" that is). So, I just was out looking for a good school/instructor not art. The thing that got me about my TSD dojang was the way they treated me when I was popping "dumb" questions at them. They treated me with respect. So, I started TSD the same week :) That's how I chose TSD.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems that alot of people started their system at random just seekign a good school and instructor. This should show the importance of a respectful and knowledgable instructor and students. It also kinda strikes me as strange, its great that the art form you chose has been such a good match that you have stayed with it. Isn't that kinda weird to you guys? I mean, its awesome that you found it and have enjoyed it, just weird that so many people have been such a good fit for the art they started. I guess that goes to show that MA are for everyone and are for each person to get what thye want out of them.

Pretty Cool if you ask me.

7sm

OP
M

Master of Blades

My dad beat me into dojng it....and is still beating me into doing it. Thats what you get for being taught by your dad :p

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Oh ok. That's a tough one, because I didn't know anything at all about martial arts (not enough to choose an "art" that is). So, I just was out looking for a good school/instructor not art. The thing that got me about my TSD dojang was the way they treated me when I was popping "dumb" questions at them. They treated me with respect. So, I started TSD the same week That's how I chose TSD.

oic. i see i left out an option. my mistake:( . what is TSD?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Master of Blades, thats a pretty cool pic

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Oh ok. That's a tough one, because I didn't know anything at all about martial arts (not enough to choose an "art" that is). So, I just was out looking for a good school/instructor not art. The thing that got me about my TSD dojang was the way they treated me when I was popping "dumb" questions at them. They treated me with respect. So, I started TSD the same week That's how I chose TSD.

oh, my mistake then. what is TSD?

----------------------------------------------
master of blades, thats a nice pic, is that u or ur dad?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
My major inducement to start MA was probably fitness. I'd started getting really drowsy all the time, so I thought moving around more than not at all'd help. Went with the school's TKD club thinking that doing a MA'd be more interesting than just jogging or something like that since I'd tried exerising on and off without ever really sticking to a routine. (Also had the advantage of being free)

It resonated with me, and I've been with it ever since. (That, and it looks cool on Buffy.)

OP
M

Master of Blades

Lol its my dad. It was class picture day so we all did some cool stances and that was the best pic. I like it. and yes that is what he uses to beat us into submission if we dont do what he wants. Its even worse when he gets out the swords.......they may be blunt but boy do they hurt! God I love my dad :D

OP
C

Chiduce

None of the above!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
K

Kenpo_student

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson

oh, my mistake then. what is TSD?

I think it is in reference to Tang Soo Do. I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions