• Racial Affiliation

• Effectiveness

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

Master of Blades

Im interested in finding out what Soo Bahk Do is! Anyone know?

OP
S

Shinzu

Originally posted by Master of Blades

Im interested in finding out what Soo Bahk Do is! Anyone know?

Soo Bahk Do was the name chosen for the U.S Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation, it was changed in 1994. some systems still stick by that name, but they're basically the same.

OP
K

kenposcum

When I went shopping for a dojo, all I got were smiles and "you'll be so good, so fast," and I must have had some form of McDojo warning device, because even knowing nothing, I knew in my heart that these schools were pretty crappity.
So I didn't want to go to any of these "2 year black belt" schools. Thankfully, the last school we went to was my current school. In all honesty, the only reason I signed up is because I was scared of the instructor. He just looked mean and raw and hard. (growling) "Yeah, I'll tell you what, it takes a long time to get your black belt here, you're looking at a minimum of six years, and that's training everyday, growl growl growl." So I decided I wanted to be like him...you know, scary.
:asian:

OP
M

Master of Blades

You went shopping for a Dojo.......I didnt realise they sold them in Ikea? :rofl:

OP
K

kenposcum

Semantics...okay,fine smart guy, when I went looking for a dojo to train at.
Jeepers!
:asian:

OP
N

Nyoongar

To become an indestructable half man half god in the mould of Hercules.

OP
D

DireWolf

I'd have to say effectiveness. Wing Chun is not a pretty art! Plus it enables me to train around some fairly serious injuries. Plus I've noticed that fighting at that range i.e. as close as physically possible scares the crap out of my sparring buddies...they're always trying to step back into kicking range, or the fighting measure or whatever. I just stick to them like glue. Psyche out!!

OP
B

bob919

i have trained for a lopng time for effectiveness in many styles and i have read many books on the subject but also recently i have been looking on nive looking kicks eg jumping 360 rounhouse but i don't think i would use that in a fight:asian:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master of Blades
God I love my dad :D

Well MoB, you have told all of us, I just hope that you have told him.

It's kinda nice when your kids tell you stuff like that.
--Dave:asian:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Yeah...It usually comes out sometime when were on the floor trying to make each other tap. Its times like that that stick in your mind for life :D

:rofl: :shrug: :asian:

OP
S

sweeper

well what would your freind saying "hey lets go to a JKD class fall under" ?

OP
S

shadowdragon

I like the effectiveness of the art... but some high kicking as well.
But I don't like to compete, I hope to learn about self-defense and such, weapons etc.

OP
K

Kiz Bell

My reason really was "'cause I think swords are cool and I really like playing playing with sharp, pointy objects", so I ticked the "it looks cool" box. On second thoughts "history" of the art played a big part in it too.

I notice you didn't have a box for "I've watched way too many Jet Li movies and think I'm a Kung Fu master". :D

OP
A

anthonyc

I started because of my kids. They won free lessons at a local Kenpo school and, during my visits to watch them, I became hooked on the wisdom that was (and still is) Ed Parker.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
hey, i was wondering why you chose to train in the style you chose.i mean what about the style you chose attracted you.

Well, as I mentioned in a previous thread, for me it's a family obsession.
Also, I like that in my Art one primarily uses the strongest part of the human body, the legs... :asian:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kiz, that is funny .... speaking of Jet Li, I am watching Fist of Legend :D

Anyways, I just started Judo (this time I had enough knowledge about MA to pick one). What attracted me to Judo was the joint locks, ground work, ect. My instructor even explains "why" and "how" things work. Me being a person that wants to know "why" and "how", I thought that was awsome :) It's also kinda "informal" training. We just go in there and have fun, except when we do technique work. Then my instrctor turns into a "drill sargent" LOL

OP
A

A.R.K.

I developed my system due to it's effectiveness against BG's in real world situations.

Take care.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Zhao Dai Wei
I developed my system due to it's effectiveness against BG's in real world situations.

Take care.

What did you develop it from???

Thus far you have yet to answer a single question about who you got your ranks in Pangainoon and "Shuri Te":rolleyes: from.

I'll ask again:

Schultz,

You never did answer my question about who you got your 8th dan from in Pangainoon.
Since it is such a high rank it could only have come from a higher ranked source which would lead us to someone in Okinawa.
I will make it a real simple question so there is no confusion.
Who did you test for 8th dan with?
Since Pangainoon now uses Okinawan Kobudo which system of Okianwan Kobudo do you use?
Also, do you know the name of Pangainoon in Chinese?

You still have yet to supply a list of those names of teachers that teach “Shuri-Te Ryu” down in Okinawa. Who are they?

You mentioned the kata of Pangainoon before.

What are the names of the kata in Pangainoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions