Your favorite style while sparring?

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, and I see there is a diverse type of arts on this site, it never ceases to amaze me at how many styles/forms a martial art has. So outta curiousity what's your favorite style/form to use when you spar.

Personally, my favorite is the Northern Mantis, but after seeing Monkey used for the first time, I want to learn that style and use it in a sparring match.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum friend, and way to ask such a thought provoking question after such a short time here!

I personally prefer using traditional Karate techniques, I find that they're quite straightforward and to the point! Though I am training with a couple gentleman who study Praying Mantis and Wing Chun who have me altering my style quite a bit, so I'm sure my answer will change after a bit more experience with them!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tend to use semi-traditional karate counter-offense techniques. I am beginning to use more kenpo in my sparring these days (when I get to train).

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you notice in sparring lots of styles have different forms and stances? for sparring!

BUT: in a real fight? NO matter the style or art? ...boxing stances seems to be the most adepted! and most use!

Why? because it works...we need to protect our "head" and "body"....thru the years fighters learn this is the BEST STANCE!

In our system of Kempo, with stand with our hand lower for sparring only.

In our actual fighting stance...we look and act like boxers. Just like "Muay Tai".

Kung-fu movies is only "acting" .....real world is different.

Aloha,

OP
MantisStyle21

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I have a habit of using the boxing stance a lot when our class does self defense situation, I like to keep my feet limber in a Kung-Fu type motion, and my upperbody in a Boxer or Muay Thai.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use kempo in my sparring. Why? Thats all I know (thus far). I like it a lot though. Gives me quite a few weapon to use in my arsenal.

B

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some times I use a modified boxing stance, I keep my groin protected by turning slightly. I usually use this when I'm in aggressive mode -- it makes it easier to blitz in with a combination of punches and front kicks.

For defensive mode I turn sideways, kind of a modified back stance, with my arms loose - it works good for quick backfists and round kicks, while making defensive side kicks easy to throw.

My first training was as a football lineman, then boxing, so I learned how to take hits on tough areas, while protecting sensitive ones - then I got into fencing, which taught me circular attack and defense patterns, then finally into karate, where I learned to use multiple weapons at a time (hands and feet.)

So my sparring is a combination of these. Usually I practice "soft-style" with friends, but for self-defense drills I also practice "hard-style" blocking - try to damage anything that my enemy will put out there to hit (arms, legs, shins, knees, etc) that you don't normally want to hit during sparring.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use whatever I feel will work against my opponet at that time, each person is different thus we must be ready to use different tactics with them all.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been doing Silat longer than anything else, do I fight like a Silat player. Other things come out like the Muay Thai, Judo and even a little Okinawa Te once in a while. But even then I do them like a pesilat.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think what the OP means is the way you hold your hands (more boxing guard, or Wing Chun, for example), your stance (more Boxing, or Northern Kung Fu), your strikes (punch, kick, close in...), your foot work, and so on. There of course is little differnce. One could 'move and fight' like a boxer, even if they do Shaolin Kempo Karate, and the reverse. However, there are generalities when it comes to such things.

As for me, my method is some perverse bastardization Wing Chun, Escrima, pseudo-dance, and a few kicks out of Shotokan, and sweeps from Judo. My guard is still in progress though.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.......I'm not sure which style I use. I never really thought about using a style when I spar. I use whatever techniques I've learned and whatever just comes naturally. I have never actually decided I would use Shotokan only or just Kempo, wrestling, BJJ, or Chin-na.

Why limit yourself? Can one really just stick to a particual style 100%?

I have sparred on ocassion where I wanted to work on things and just worked one or two fixed techniques and defenses from various depths and angles to strenghten whatever I feel is a weakness. I spent one entire evening of sparring where all I did was block anything thrown at me and just countering with a quick jab with the left or right. The next session I would do the same only countering with kicks. It's not about winning or losing. It's all about understanding what I can personally do with my body in a situation if needed.

-Marc-

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score

What a great point you make! A big problem with a lot of (mostly traditional) styles is a lot of instructors will tell you that when you spar you should use their style and just their style. I personally have run into this when I went to train with a friend at his Kung Fu Kwoon. I asked the Sifu when it came time to spar if it would be alright if I tried some Karate techniques against some of his students Kung Fu. He got quite upset with me and told me that the people in his school use Kung Fu and only Kung Fu. Granted I could understand his being upset, at the same time, I was just trying to see how their style would hold up against my style.

I guess simply put, just use what works best!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to say that all traditional styles or instructors are like the one I mentioned above I'm just saying that my experiences have shown that quite a few are, my appologies if anyone takes offense.

OP
MantisStyle21

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score

-Marc-

I also like that point as well, and I've heard that the traditional teachers have the mind set of their style and only their style as well.

Which kind of saddens me, Martial Arts is so much more than meets the eye. My teacher teaches traditional kung fu sparring, but when it comes down to self defense he says "the world has too many dangers to limit protection by one martial art, if it works I'll use it" I'm thankful to have found such an instructor

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
when sparring I usually use boxing stances. because its easier to kick and punch in these stances. I usually use the crab stance where the lead hand is across the body and slightly lower than the other hand. but in a real fight its instinct and will to survive