Is power determinable by watching a form?

J

Jason Davis

Ok Right off, I know a lot of styles don't do forms and i know that a lot of people are going to say "a form is just a form", and this might upset a couple of people. but still, I'm going to ask.

Sometimes when I see videos of "masters" performing a form/kata or whatever, It seriously looks like a monkey screwing a football. Then when I see some of these so-called "sparring" matches or "real fight" videos on the internet it looks like 2 monkeys screwing a football. Why is this? Are they just not trying or what?

I don't know if this is what forms and sparring are supposed to look like or not, but I can definitely tell you I would be sitting in horsestance for about and hour if I tried to push that stuff on my teacher.

Tell me if I'm wrong or not, but aren't you supposed to issue power when you perform a form/kata or are you just supposed to go through the movements. I'm confused I was thought that when you do a form you issue power every time you show a technique and you use perfect form. If it's soft style like tai chi you still show the power but it is done a lot slower with the same perfect form thus making it soft.

As for sparring goes, if I don't use good technique when he spar again I will be sitting in horse stance for about an hour. I honestly believe that 1960's and 70's kung fu movies have 1,000,000 times more technique shown in the fight scenes than any sparring video I've seen on the internet or any modern day movie for that matter. Again this is still just how I was thought to do it and I thought that the reason to do forms/katas is to teach you the moves to use and the correct form to use when you use them in a fight. I thought that when you spar/fight it was supposed to look just like you were doing a form.

This is why I thought you were supposed to practice so much and put so much time and effort into martial arts. I thought that you were supposed to practice the techniques so much that it became second nature and you could actually use what you learned and not just try to brawl. If your not going to use what you've learned, aren't you just wasting time?

I seriously thought that a form/kata was supposed to look like you were really fighting someone, and a fight/sparring match was supposed to look just like the form (I know you have to change the technique according to what the other person does, but still).

Maybe I am totally wrong though. If so someone please enlighten me I would really appreciate it. :)

OP
B

Black Bear

The football monkeys look that way because they don't train their skills "alive". I've posted aliveness links all over "General Martial Arts Talk" threads, I'll bet you've seen 'em at least once. But reading your posts, I think you have a sense of the importance of aliveness, intuitively.

Straddling a bench and practicing all the different bodyweight shifts, signals and commands you WOULD use if you were riding a horse, doesn't make you good at riding a horse. Even if you VISUALIZE the horse. REALLY VIVIDLY. It makes you good at straddling a bench and looking like an idiot. The same is true of martial arts.

Forms as a visual performance art can be nice.

Forms as an "encyclopaedia" of knowledge (of moves) is obsolete, since paper, ink, and digital information storage are much better ways.

Forms as a way of teaching people to fight, is in my opinion a bad idea.

So it's not that I think that people shouldn't do forms. I think they should know why they're doing them, and if it's a good delivery vector for that objective.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I'm not a huge fan of forms, I will say that, no, a fight and a form should not look alike. Forms are sequences of motion meant to teach you something about motion, they are sequences of moves meant to give you a vehicle to work on principles of motion, last and certainly not least they are pieces of history not necessarily grounded in the reality of the concerns of the day. Sparring, by defenition, is fighting with pre arranged rules. Forms are not subject to those rules; so, its naive to assume they should look similar. To throw out forms is to throw out a perfectly viable training tool. I suspect that those who have done away with them have not come up with an adequit replacement. 70's kung fu movies were built around the forms; so, of course it looks cool. Experienced martial artists know they are watching fiction.
Sean

OP
B

Black Bear

When you say an "adequate replacement" for forms, what function of theirs requires replacement, supposing that one dispenses with forms? Please be specific.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
When you say an "adequate replacement" for forms, what function of theirs requires replacement, supposing that one dispenses with forms? Please be specific.
I went to the book for this one... Sparring (or freestyle) is an extemporaneous use of offensive and defensive skills that teaches you how to guage distance, employ effective timing, become elusive, take advantage of vulnerability, angle changes, ect.
Forms on the other hand teach you specific things and allow you to work and develop those things without worrying about those things listed under sparring.
Like I said they are training tools which allow you to work priciples and study how paying attention to one in relation to another may effect your motion. Sparring often leaves you worrying about winning and loosing only. Forms allow you to tinker with your very understanding of the art and practice in that art.
Sean

OP
J

Jason Davis

Touch'O'Death said:
While I'm not a huge fan of forms, I will say that, no, a fight and a form should not look alike. Forms are sequences of motion meant to teach you something about motion, they are sequences of moves meant to give you a vehicle to work on principles of motion, last and certainly not least they are pieces of history not necessarily grounded in the reality of the concerns of the day. Sparring, by defenition, is fighting with pre arranged rules. Forms are not subject to those rules; so, its naive to assume they should look similar. To throw out forms is to throw out a perfectly viable training tool. I suspect that those who have done away with them have not come up with an adequit replacement. 70's kung fu movies were built around the forms; so, of course it looks cool. Experienced martial artists know they are watching fiction.
Sean
hmmmm..... so your essentially saying that the perfect way to perform a movement isn't the perfect way to perform that same movement in a fight? I'm confused.

I personally don't like practicing form either but i can tell you that when I spar/fight every technique I perform is very very crisp and the intention is obvious.

I may have worded my question wrong... i guess my question is "why do most all of these so called masters that i see in these internet movies fail to excel at actual fighting?"

is that a better question....... and you can tell weather someone can fight or not by looking at them for example an adult with no martial training Obviously looks like they can fight better than an 8 year old.

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Forms are sequences of motion meant to teach you something about motion, they are sequences of moves meant to give you a vehicle to work on principles of motion, last and certainly not least they are pieces of history not necessarily grounded in the reality of the concerns of the day.

As someone in an art that does forms, this statement is excellent. I would add they are also a good form of full body exercise. :asian:

OP
B

Black Bear

Indeed techniques have to be introduced and isolated, but why through a form? Why not through alive partner training? What really does the form contribute?

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jason Davis said:
hmmmm..... so your essentially saying that the perfect way to perform a movement isn't the perfect way to perform that same movement in a fight? I'm confused.

I personally don't like practicing form either but i can tell you that when I spar/fight every technique I perform is very very crisp and the intention is obvious.

Yes, the purpose of the movement is what changes. The movements should still be performed with power and crispness. If I throw a kick in a form to the body, there is not a moving body on the end of it. I can generate more power there because I am not going to harm someone. In sparring the purpose is not to harm, it is to score a point. In a self-defense situation, the goal is to survive. My techniques will reflect those goals given the situation.

I may have worded my question wrong... i guess my question is "why do most all of these so called masters that i see in these internet movies fail to excel at actual fighting?"

is that a better question....... and you can tell weather someone can fight or not by looking at them for example an adult with no martial training Obviously looks like they can fight better than an 8 year old.

My questions would be which masters are you speaking of and where are these movies so we can see them? Like people, there are good and bad masters. Some look they can not fight but maybe holding back because they are not in a fight they are sparring.

I can't always tell someone can fight by looking at them. I think this is not a good habit to get into, you may be, unfortunately, very surprised one day.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, the never-ending debate on forms, useful or useless?? Having experience in arts with and without them, I think there’s a tendency to read too much into the practice. They’re merely a tool in the toolbox. How important the tool is to you will determine the credence you put on its use.

Properly taught forms teach not only individual moves, but transitory movement, flow (even the hard style ones), proper application of power, the handling of speed and accuracy. All of that without even beginning to touch on an appreciation of principles and concepts that may be present. But remember, the original intent of forms was to give a structure to individual practice when training partners are unavailable or uninterested. On the flip side, I’m always struck by those who denigrate the use of forms, yet will drill combinations on the heavy bag or with a partner without complaint. Are these not just mini-forms in their own way, teaching the very same thing? Of course this is where aliveness, spontaneity, reflexive reaction all raise their head as the next step in the process. All just tools.

I would disagree, Black Bear, with your contention that a physical “encyclopedia of moves” is unnecessary in today’s world. The ability to catalog such information in an “efficient” manner actually may lend to an even greater need to make sure a “physical” catalog still exists. Taken to its logical conclusion, your argument may even suggest that because we have such a “hard copy” rendering of an art, practice in itself may become unnecessary. Too extreme? Probably, but I hope you see my point.

Bottom line—individual preference prevails. Even if you are in an art that teaches forms, you’ll only get out of it what you put into it. If you’re in an art that doesn’t teach forms, you may be a tool shy in your toolbox, but if you’ve never used it you probably won’t miss it.

Respects to all regardless of which side of the fence you’re on!
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
Indeed techniques have to be introduced and isolated, but why through a form? Why not through alive partner training? What really does the form contribute?
Lets take Bjj for instance, you can create a two man form and work a take down and escape back and forth. What makes it a form is that you both have a part to play but you offer no resistance to the sequence of motion. Its just a sequence of moves for the sake of that sequence of moves. You may do that for posture, balance, relaxation, speed, ect. I suppose if you found an opponent or training partner that sucked bad enough you are essentialy working on form wheather he likes it or not. However, it is a poor replacement.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jason Davis said:

/QUOTE]I never said anything about perfect motion. The point of forms is to discover applications that aren't so obvious; so, thanks for proving my point.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, and yes I do think you can determine skill just by watching a person move. However, there are aspects of fighting that your motion in and of its self has nothing to do with.
Sean :asian:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
...... To throw out forms is to throw out a perfectly viable training tool. I suspect that those who have done away with them have not come up with an adequit replacement. ....
Sean

Really? I don't see JKD, MuayThai, Burmese Boxing suffer any defficiency for not practicing form.

OP
J

Jason Davis

I would like to say thank you to everyone who gave an answer to my question. It seems that all arts have a different view of how forms work or if they even work at all and all of the answers that were given were very good. thank you all

OP
B

Black Bear

Well you see Ken, this is why I deliberately ignored this thread for awhile. ToD's playing a little fast and loose with the terminology, and is defining form a little more broadly than I think most people use it. And I didn't (and don't) feel like getting sucked into a debate on what a "form" is. Take the BJJ example he gave. BJJ sometimes teaches things in short sequences. One of the first ones I did, which I know is taught by Mario Sperry, involved passing an open guard by "throwing" the guy's ankles, stepping into one side, and going into cross mount, then side guard. It's trained with a partner with timing and resistance. I don't consider that a form, but maybe he does. Then you work the variations, if the guy does this, then this is how you deal with that, and so on. Is that a form? Working a combo, jab jab cross hook, is that a form? Maybe he'd say it is. It's a prearranged sequence of movements. I can't really argue that with someone who thinks differently than myself.

If you define form broadly enough, then sure 'nuff you can't do without them.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KennethKu said:
Really? I don't see JKD, MuayThai, Burmese Boxing suffer any defficiency for not practicing form.
Well obviously Bruce Lee studied forms for twenty years before his creation of JKD, so , there you go. Muay Thai is a sport, I know nothing of BB so I won't comment. I would argue, however, that any shadow boxing in Muay Thai is working a form.
Sean

OP
B

Black Bear

ToD you putz, we're not talking about Bruce Lee. We're talking about the thousands of JKD fighters around the world who don't do forms. Muay Thai is a martial art--look a little into Thai history before you leap to stereotypes. Burmese boxing, are we talking about Bando KK?

Shadow boxing is "carrenza", or to use your word, it is extemporaneous as opposed to prearranged.

Anyway, I've deliberately avoided getting into any fruitless debate as to what precisely constitutes a form. ToD, having stated his position, is surely going to want to define it broadly (he already said that the word would encompass a short two-man BJJ sequence) and some of these guys are going to want to define it very narrowly. It's just a word. What matters is what you do.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
ToD you putz, we're not talking about Bruce Lee. We're talking about the thousands of JKD fighters around the world who don't do forms. Muay Thai is a martial art--look a little into Thai history before you leap to stereotypes. Burmese boxing, are we talking about Bando KK?

Shadow boxing is "carrenza", or to use your word, it is extemporaneous as opposed to prearranged.

Anyway, I've deliberately avoided getting into any fruitless debate as to what precisely constitutes a form. ToD, having stated his position, is surely going to want to define it broadly (he already said that the word would encompass a short two-man BJJ sequence) and some of these guys are going to want to define it very narrowly. It's just a word. What matters is what you do.
Boy, Appearantly you have never heard of extemopraneous forms. I think you can count the number of moves you can make in muay thai on one hand so just how extempo do you think that system is? I think you have a lot to learn about what forms are before you go tossing them because of a limmited understanding.
Sean
Sean

OP
B

Black Bear

:rolleyes: Okay, please give us YOUR definition of forms. It seems to be broad enough to swallow just about any kind of technical training.

Personally I don't care because I don't make use of the word in my training, although I'm sure that every single thing I do short of sparring, you would consider a "form".

Latest Discussions