Technique I came up with:

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last night I was sitting around thinking about martial arts and an idea for a technique popped into my head.

It is a defense against low leg kicks aimed at your hamstring/upper leg. The idea is to bend your knee just as your opponent's leg is about to hit yours, thus trapping their leg between your calf and hamstring. Initially, my plan was to then twist whichever leg I was using to trap their leg/foot in an attempt to throw them in a weird way.
I got my friend to do a low leg kick slowly, I was able to catch it, but the throwing part didn't seem to work. My friend and I decided to go spar, and so I suppose she had in her head that the trap wouldn't work. Anyways, we get to sparring lightly and eventually turn up the intensity a little bit and I put my trap into action. I caught her leg and off balanced her and was able to get a few punches into her face. While I was not able to actually throw her, I was able to confuse / off balance her.

I've never heard / seen anyone do this technique before. Do you have any input for it? What could make it better? Pros? Cons? Have you seen it done before? Or is there a technique that you've came up with yourself?

Today is a good day. :D

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it was invented sometime prior to 564 BC, but perhaps not as you're implementing it:

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_hollenback_0903.htm
The notion that the opponent’s dislodged right leg somehow put him at a disadvantage suggests that perhaps the dislodged leg was left vulnerable to attack and that it may have been the right ankle that was dislocated by a hold applied after the backward kick. Sweet, however, specifically states that Arrichion attacked his opponent’s left leg with his right leg. Poliakoff’s translation has Arrichion, after having kicked the opponent’s right foot out of the crook of his right knee, turning around and somehow trapping the opponent’s right foot in the crook of his right knee, and then dislocating the right ankle. Here the right side is attacked all right, but it is not at all clear how such a move could have been executed.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Similar thing's been mentioned Systema discussions in this very forum.

Not much is new.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In kung fu and silat I`ve seen guys catch a leg like that and use it for a sacrifice throw by sqating or falling on the trapped leg.

OP
Wey

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
In kung fu and silat I`ve seen guys catch a leg like that and use it for a sacrifice throw by sqating or falling on the trapped leg.

Interesting approach.

Thank you everyone for your input.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Im not trying to be a smartarse here, honestly, but some of the guys i spar with, you really dont want to be doing this stuff. They will take you off your feet right there.

Some of the students struggle to hold the kickshields against their lead leg and keep their feet when we practice this low round kick, and they are prepared for it!

Congrats for thinking outside the box though, thats always a good thing. Just thought id throw my two cents at it :)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im not trying to be a smartarse here, honestly, but some of the guys i spar with, you really dont want to be doing this stuff. They will take you off your feet right there.

+1.

While the idea has merit on its own (if you can trap the leg like that), using it to trap a low kick is asking for your knee to be kicked to pieces. Long time ago I saw Leon Van Dijk (Bas Rutten's pancrase sparring partner) train in a MT gym where I was a summer guest.

As hard as he could kick, I sincerely think he could break my spine with a kick. Trying to catch such a kick with the inside of your knee would probably end very, very badly.

OP
Wey

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score

Some of the students struggle to hold the kickshields against their lead leg and keep their feet when we practice this low round kick, and they are prepared for it!

Congrats for thinking outside the box though, thats always a good thing. Just thought id throw my two cents at it :)

True, I suppose I should have thought about that, as well as what Bruno said regarding destroying the knee. Though I do think it may still be useful if used very, very sparingly as to keep it a surprise and help preserve the inside of the back of the knee. Possibly if its thought through well enough, one may be able to counter before the opponent understands whats going on. For example, trapping the leg and rushing in with a couple of quick punches to the face.

And thanks for the support. :yinyang:

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree, I know this would be hard to pull off against a lot of powerful kickers, but at the same time there is something to be said for timing and technique.

Wey, I'd say if you wanted to try to develop something unorthodox like this, then you would need to find a training partner who really new how to throw good hard low kicks and then practice the technique with him until you could figure out how to make it work. If you just practice this with people who don't really throw this kind of kick regularly then you'll probably be a little shocked when you try it against somebody who's really good at them. And as others have made clear, 'catching' the kick is probably not the best application of this idea.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I`ve seen the trap used, but never against a fast low kick. You just don`t have the time to catch it and like others have said, you`re more worried about avoiding damage or falling at that time. But trapping a leg between the back of your thigh and your calf is no different that catching an arm between your bicep and forearm.

OP
Wey

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree, I know this would be hard to pull off against a lot of powerful kickers, but at the same time there is something to be said for timing and technique.

Wey, I'd say if you wanted to try to develop something unorthodox like this, then you would need to find a training partner who really new how to throw good hard low kicks and then practice the technique with him until you could figure out how to make it work. If you just practice this with people who don't really throw this kind of kick regularly then you'll probably be a little shocked when you try it against somebody who's really good at them. And as others have made clear, 'catching' the kick is probably not the best application of this idea.

I agree. Like I said though, it may be good if used sparingly. Because of the downside of the technique, it would HAVE to be used sparingly. Thanks for the input!

Spork3245

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With all due respect, this "move", if I'm picturing it correctly, against someone aiming to hurt/disable you, sounds like a broken knee waiting to happen - Or at the very least, being knocked off your feet. I'd sooner turn my shin to face their foot and hopefully sprain/break their metatarsal, or at least turn my leg and bend my knee slighly to absorb the kick into my flexed-quad, but that's just me :)

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. Various posibilities exist for this. You know that game 'dead or alive' there is a character like bruce lee that actually enters into the opponent lifts up the leg of the opponent with his leg and then immediately stomps out the other leg. -In reality this would be really brutal.

However, i do know some real applications other than videogames- firstly, i would aim to keep my heel of the 'twisting' leg to stay turned forward rather than having the leg go back and the torso forward too much. So get under and use the shins not the calf for lifting. Depends then if you're hooking from under or over-outside or in.
I know that if you sandwich the leg of someone that does not have good flexibility in the legs like a nonmartialartist or nonkicker, then you can make them fall just by lifting their leg suddenly. Also, like in hapkido, bjj or many old forms of jujutsu, you can also trap their leg and kneel on their calf or something like that, the slight danger being that they can possibly also trap you back anytime by bending their leg even if you line it up perfectly possibly inflicting pain.

Also, i can think of coming in with a big ouchigari kouchgari for judostyle to takedown.

I came up with one technique in particular but i'm hording it because i need it for mma if i ever manage to get back. I may give it up in a pm. No biggie but i need to work it first.

j

Last edited: