You know Wing Chun? Show me!

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So this is just a fun thread I thought I'd toss here. I had family in town the other day and they heard I'm learning Wing Chun and asked me to show them some. I just blanked out I guess since I couldn't remember anything that they'd want to see.

What kind of moves do you show friends, family or acquaintances when they say "show me"?

Thanks!

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
Let's see:

Tan Da
Bong Sao / Lap Sao (demonstrate this in a way that you ask your family member to give forward pressure then disengage into Lap Sao, punch, change hands into another punch & trap)
Pak Sao / Tan Sao (one hand controls two)
1" Punch (if you can manage that)

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I usually show them our salutation, wait for them to say "what the hell are you supposed to do with that?",and then show them how the movements can be applied. I find the form-application thing seems to be a nice way for non martial artists to appreciate what we do.
either that or just punch them like mook jong man.:)

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
if someone asks, it depends on how big they are and their attitude.

if similar height, i show them the deceptive angles of the bong sau, because people expect a "karate high block" so bong sau looks like you'd still get hit in the face but bong sau done right when you move in closer, their arm follows the angle up and over the head when stepping in.

if they're stronger or bigger, then demonstrate a bit of proper body structure can equal or surpass the physical strength of a stronger opponent, to show physical strength isn't everything.

if they're faster, then show them some stuff that will force them to play at my speed.

if their attitude seems odd and perhaps they are not serious, just want to poke fun, then I just walk away.

OP
D

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lol I'll make sure I have a phonebook handy. ;-)

Bong Lap sounds would be good too, as would the Tan Da (if given a hook punch or something like that)

thanks for the great suggestions!

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i have shown the girls at work a few "get outs" if someone grabs their wrists. a few simple ways to make people let go.just simple self defence but no one else...... i,m not into that,this is for me and i hope in a way i dont get to use it.
i,m more scared of getting into a fight than i have ever been,not fear of the fight,but what i,m now capable of doing.
matsu

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
lmao at mook!
liking that one alot!
i just tell them im a beginner and not very good........... yet!
matsu

Yeah Nan wouldn't leave me alone so I just had to show her didn't I.
You wouldn't believe how easy it is for an 87 year old to become airborne. :EG:

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with MJM I generally show a one inch punch to someone who is not that interested and maybe just wanting somthing showy.

Otherwise I will explain how we divert force and show this through Tan Sau.

Really depnds on there interest but family gatherings when a few people want to see somthing a one inch punc usually pleases.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmm. Couple I like.

1: Ask them to throw a straight punch.
- Kwan Sau to the outside with the lead hand heading straight towards
an eye strike. (leaving it about 10cms short).

2: Once again off a straight punch.
- Pak Sau with a side step. Snap kick between the legs with the slightest touch to the inside leg (obviously very light and only to the leg just above knee)
Then step in with a quick 3 hit roll punch.

Two nice simple techniques which give an indication to the self defence preference of the system. Also shows efficiency and targeting ideas.

Not to mention the thought of how easily you just targeted there eyes and groin areas makes them think twice about asking you again.

Whats more fun is when people ask me to show them a move from Hapkido.
Hehe.

I love the look in their eyes when they don't know to expect and then the lock starts to kick in. The smile whilst they think its all good then the sudden look of fear as it starts to hurt.

lol. I'm not nasty I swear.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had shown a guy at work the 1 inch punch on the phone book a couple of years ago and that was enough to shut him up. Then the Sherlock Holmes movie came out and resparked his interest. He asked if I could knock this guy back at work who weighs 320 lbs. using the 1 inch punch.
So this big bruiser puts the phone book on his chest and leans into it like he's ready to go after the quarterback. I rocked him back on his heels.

Another time this TKD guy was at work throwing all these spin kicks. Someone piped up that I did "karate" too. So he wanted to see something.

There happened to be an empty cardboard box sitting there so I picked it up and tossed it into the air and punched o hole through it. The funny thing was watching this guy going around trying to knock holes in boxes the rest of the day.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get my wedding tackle out and wave it at them. They said "show me something," so I do. Amazing how few requests I get for repeats.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
What kind of moves do you show friends, family or acquaintances when they say "show me"?

Thanks!

NONE!!!

You have to be careful who you let know you study martial arts. I really see no problems with family but, friends and acquaintances can be a problem. I don't like people knowing but friends and family usually tell others...

I've had a few times where people approach saying "What would you do, if I do this?" That is the problem!

It starts there and heads south very quickly... People don't understand the faster they move the faster you have to respond. They don't understand the force you have to respond with either. You have some who get the message with a simple block but, others who get increasingly harder with their strikes each time.

My sifu is big on using every moment to train. That means even little movements that look like nothing but are actual training or conditioning drills. I'm always doing something all though most people have no clue. Well, one morning at work before the customers come in I was walking with a pole (I use to work at Home Depot) and I started doing basic staff movements. A guy on our overnight stock team saw me doing this and knew what it was I was doing.

He instantly responded you do martial arts!

Being caught red handed I said I try a little... He responded he did kenpo what style do I train? I said kung fu he went into this how he doesn't respect kung fu yada yada yada...

I was like that's cool.. of course every time he saw me after he had to test me with "What would you do, if I do this?" Oh boy...

This guy would actually see me walking through the building and run to catch me coming down an isle or walking through an area and jump out at me with no warning... You can see where this is headed right?

The problem was he'd jump out with these almost full speed and power attacks...I know he was not at full speed or power but, they were without warning. I had to literary put him on his a$$ before he got the point!

I had the same thing happen with two other co-workers that were wrestlers...

So If I can help It I don't tell or show anyone anything! If by chance I do show someone something I explain "the harder and faster they hit the harder and faster I have to hit back to respond to the attack." They usually get the message then.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lmao..... this thread is going to get messy reeel quick from here on in lol
subscribed
matsu