YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! KKW 17th F.I.C.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How about reviving a dead horse. I just stumbled on this online copy of a KKW master intructor certificate and the wording is quite different from the one on the certificates issued to the folks who attended the 17th FIC in Chicago:
http://nwartrainingcenter.org/Instructor-Certification-Kukkiwon.html

How so? thats how mine looks. Anyone have the other one?

funny, the date is the same as mine and the number is only a couple off.... I dont remember this person at the Virginia Diliyo...

must have just submitted the whole group from all the seminars at once!...

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

funny, the date is the same as mine and the number is only a couple off.... I dont remember this person at the Virginia Diliyo...

If I remember correctly that is what they did. The KKW officials took all of them back and submitted all at once.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

The one I have from the the 17th FIC states "Certificate of Qualification" instead of "International Master License"

It further states "This is to Certify that the person named above has successfully completed the Taekwondo Instructor Course for the Instructor Grade test by Kukkiwon. The one on the link states: "This is to Certify that the person named above has successfully completed the Taekwondo Master Course for Master test by Kukkiwon."

The 17th FIC Kukkiwon certs also where not really signed by anybody, because they were issued in Oct. 2009 when the Kukkwion leadership hadn't been confirmed.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what pisses me off the most is that, thanks to these jokers, the thirteen years I've spent approaching my black belt test in January means nothing. I've seen it personally too, and it makes me physically sick. I try to be an example for the new guys in our school because I am a senior belt. As a senior belt, no matter how useless I think it is, I should be able to stick that tornado kick headshot and make it look effortless. A senior belt should make the beginners go "I want to do that." And then, I go online and see things like this. Master ****ing Awesome indeed.

Also, my instructor drives an ancient Mercedes. Not even a nice one, just a ten-odd year old car. The provincial master drives a four or five year old pickup truck, and he works a full time job aside from his TKD. The man does more hours in TKD than most people do in full time work, for a while he drove 4+ hours to teach a class, he's the reason people like myself can perform in this art, and despite being at least twice my age he's an example of technique and aggression. This is what a TKD master and cheif instructor should be, and it's disappearing.

:soapbox:

Sorry for my rant. I may be too cynical for my own good. I will count myself as one of the lucky ones and, wherever I go in martial arts from here, I'll count my TKD education as possibly the best I could have gotten.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what pisses me off the most is that, thanks to these jokers, the thirteen years I've spent approaching my black belt test in January means nothing. I've seen it personally too, and it makes me physically sick. I try to be an example for the new guys in our school because I am a senior belt. As a senior belt, no matter how useless I think it is, I should be able to stick that tornado kick headshot and make it look effortless. A senior belt should make the beginners go "I want to do that." And then, I go online and see things like this. Master ****ing Awesome indeed.

Also, my instructor drives an ancient Mercedes. Not even a nice one, just a ten-odd year old car. The provincial master drives a four or five year old pickup truck, and he works a full time job aside from his TKD. The man does more hours in TKD than most people do in full time work, for a while he drove 4+ hours to teach a class, he's the reason people like myself can perform in this art, and despite being at least twice my age he's an example of technique and aggression. This is what a TKD master and cheif instructor should be, and it's disappearing.

:soapbox:

Sorry for my rant. I may be too cynical for my own good. I will count myself as one of the lucky ones and, wherever I go in martial arts from here, I'll count my TKD education as possibly the best I could have gotten.

Can you explain that first part to me? How can your instruction mean nothing?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I read it that the antics of the illustrious 'Masters' do cheapen the achievements of the gruntlings.

But in all seriousness: When ever I read a thread like that it makes the mothership (my former organization) look pretty damn good, even with the latest nonsense they pulled out of thin air, including 'bumping' a company man up to 8th degree...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man everybody just get a Hot Chocolate machine and but a BMW, that is the way of a true Master in TKD.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm lost. I don't get the rant. Who decides what your 13 years of training and your belt seniority mean to you? I'd think you'd be happy if you've been doing honest work in the dojang over that period of time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man everybody just get a Hot Chocolate machine and but a BMW, that is the way of a true Master in TKD.

BMW?!
chump!
I thought we aimed for a Bentley!

but I likez the hot chocolate! Do we get marshmallows?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BMW?!
chump!
I thought we aimed for a Bentley!

but I likez the hot chocolate! Do we get marshmallows?

Of course for an extra charge.......
icon10.gif

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think what pisses me off the most is that, thanks to these jokers, the thirteen years I've spent approaching my black belt test in January means nothing.
What do "these jokers" have to do with your black belt test?

I've seen it personally too, and it makes me physically sick. I try to be an example for the new guys in our school because I am a senior belt. As a senior belt, no matter how useless I think it is, I should be able to stick that tornado kick headshot and make it look effortless.
What makes you physically sick? Also are you saying that if you can not land a tornado kick to the head then you are not deserving of being a black belt? Wow...a lot of pioneers with us today should strip themselves of a black belt according to that logic.

A senior belt should make the beginners go "I want to do that." And then, I go online and see things like this. Master ****ing Awesome indeed.

You are right a senior belt should motivate the juniors. However, physically being about to execute a "tornado kicks" shouldn't be the only means in which to do so. Are you saying the 50 or 60 year old masters and grandmasters should step out in the ring and spar at tournaments in order to motivate their juniors?

Well my instructor drives a 7 year old Lexus...So what? Are you saying that successful TKD business owners should not drive cars that they can afford? Or are you automatically equating that if you are a successful martial art business owner then you are ripping off your students?

I'm glad you are happy with you TDK education but what does your rant have to do with anything?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read it that the antics of the illustrious 'Masters' do cheapen the achievements of the gruntlings.

But in all seriousness: When ever I read a thread like that it makes the mothership (my former organization) look pretty damn good, even with the latest nonsense they pulled out of thin air, including 'bumping' a company man up to 8th degree...

Exactly what I meant as far as how it affects my belt. I could walk in and fail because I didn't work enough, and yet how will my KKW black belt be any different than a KKW black belt Master Awesome awards? Same certificate, same papers, same rank. The difference in skill will have to be my justification, I guess. It still cheapens the rank somehow for me.

The tornado kick was meant as an example, not any type of concrete standard. Same with the cars. I don't know anyone who runs a TKD school who makes big money. I'm sure there are good rich TKD instructors out there but I don't know any.

As far as sparring in tournaments goes, if that's what the school does, then why not? Barring physical limitations of course.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exactly what I meant as far as how it affects my belt. I could walk in and fail because I didn't work enough, and yet how will my KKW black belt be any different than a KKW black belt Master Awesome awards? Same certificate, same papers, same rank. The difference in skill will have to be my justification, I guess. It still cheapens the rank somehow for me.

I guess I just didn't get enough coffee in my system this morning but I still don't get where you are going with this. Are you saying those who received their Instructor certs through this course are less qualified than you because of where you got your instructor cert?

Why would you allow any outside source affect your view point about your own rank? I worked hard for my KKW Black Belt. If John Do merely had to go in an do a couple of punches and call it a day for his, then good for him. It doesn't cheapen my rank at all. I know what I did to earn what I earned. Last year, at 38 years old, I tested for my Shorei-ryu black belt. It was a grueling 4 hour test which nearly killed me. Guess what, it was not as hard as the 8 hours black belt test my senior had to take back when he was 25. Does that mean his rank is cheapen because my test was "easier"?

As far as sparring in tournaments goes, if that's what the school does, then why not? Barring physical limitations of course.
Then perhaps you can answer me how many world championship boxing matches has Manny Paquiano's coach won in the past few years since he has been training him? How many has he won in his life time? Now how many great fighters has trained to become top competitors?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would you allow any outside source affect your view point about your own rank? I worked hard for my KKW Black Belt. If John Do merely had to go in an do a couple of punches and call it a day for his, then good for him. It doesn't cheapen my rank at all. I know what I did to earn what I earned.

That's exactly it. It bothers me and it probably won't stop bothering me any time soon. Not the first time we've had differing views and the world never ended before.

Then perhaps you can answer me how many world championship boxing matches has Manny Paquiano's coach won in the past few years since he has been training him? How many has he won in his life time? Now how many great fighters has trained to become top competitors?

Martial arts teacher =/= competition coach. It's not the same dynamic IMO and lots of guys I know spar at 50-60 years old. An instructor's still a high level black belt, after all.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Martial arts teacher =/= competition coach. It's not the same dynamic IMO and lots of guys I know spar at 50-60 years old. An instructor's still a high level black belt, after all.
I know a lot of guys who do as well. I also know a lot of guys who don't and are quite capable of doing so. So does this mean they should be stripped of their belt because they are not motivating the juniors by going out and doing it themselves?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...No. All I want to get across is that a black belt should exhibit skill a junior belt can aspire to. My original point was that I felt as a high level belt I should be a model in technique and power for beginning students, and I see that lacking pretty often. I'm sure you've seen high ranking black belts with terrible technique too.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. This thread has gone way off course and is old. However....wait for it...
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Next week the usat will attempt to hold a KKW instructor seminar. There will be five instructors for more than one hundred forty (as of yesterday) participants. I heard that numbers were low so they are issuing
Certs to first, second and third dans to boost attendance. The first one hundred to sign up get a free dobok . What about the rest? Are they really going to have nearly 50 in school doboks and the rest in matching seminar doboks?
I will be attending of course. I already have the 3rd class but I wil take any opportunity to train with the WTA instructors.
It will be shorter than the one in chigago. I wonder how it will go?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
naturally we expect a full report on your AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!

^_^

Latest Discussions