Yellow ~ To Keup or to not Keup?

The Irish Kicker

White Belt
Reaction score
Mu Do!

So, I've got my first belt test coming up this Saturday! on the 12th! I'm beyond excited and confident in my breaking technique ( stepping side kick ). I was wondering if anyone has any funny stories, mishaps, memories or advice to share?

Thanks in advance!

Tenchi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First exam is merely the first step in your path. Enjoy the experience as much as you can, there is no significant advice beyond that. Give your best to it, show it to your instructors and all will be fine.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tests are a snapshot of where you are on your journey, a celebration of progress. If you approach each class as though it is a test and do your very best, then all of your tests will be enjoyable. Good luck.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step. Best wishes for your test. Let us know how it goes pics, videos ect.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think I will ever forget my yellow belt test. I did so well, I surprised even myself. At the appropriate time, I shook hands with my instructor and was handed my new belt. I accepted it, and was holding on to it so tightly, I didn't want to ever let go. It was the first athletic achievement I had ever earned in my life (I was 37 at the time), What a feeling!

All the best to you, I hope you'll do great! :asian:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Relax and enjoy. Your first test is both the easiest and the most difficult. The material is relatively easy, your instructors are probably inclined to cut you a little slack for nerves, and they wouldn't invite you to test (unless testing is purely a cash cow, in which case RUN AWAY!!) unless they were confident in your abilities.
But you'll still be nervous. :)
Try to channel that nervous energy into your test. Turn it into something positive.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw a guy punch a board over and over, breaking his knuckles. It turned out the board was
green wood and should not have been in the pile. I'm still waiting for the day when we can look back on it and laugh. :) I hope this helps. LOL
Sean

OP
The Irish Kicker

The Irish Kicker

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words everyone. I am really looking forward to it ( the test ) . Class yesterday was a mixture of review ( our basic kicks, punches and combos of the two together ) and self defense and I really felt I knew the material! I'm excited to finally get my yellow belt so I can move on to more exciting things and continue my journey. ( sparring!!!!)

OP
The Irish Kicker

The Irish Kicker

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok ..... Update time! Testing was awesome! I broke my board easily and got to see the Black Belts tea ceremony. I am beyond excitedto have yellow belt and cant wait to test again!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't think tea ceremonies were something associated with TKD. What's the story?

Latest Discussions