Yellow Belt Testing

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I get the joy of testing for my yellow belt tomorrow. Two months behind schedule, thanks to work. :) But I'm pretty confident. The only thing I'm not 100% certain on is my self-defense techniques, but I'm about 80% certain I have it down.

Wish me luck, all! (We'll just ignore the fact that I don't believe in luck. This time. ;))

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well... That sucked...

Actually, for the most part it went okay. My patterns were good (except that my first time through Saju Makgi, I was using a low forearm block instead of a low knifehand block). Knowledge went great (except for blanking on a definition for courtesy, of all things!). Three-step sparring 1 was excellent, 2... Not so much. And my self-defense...

Was a complete and utter cluster f... well, you know... I had to do my first technique 3 times because of my usual problem - I'm too nice. My second technique was worse, because I kept fusing the two together for some bizarre reason.

I don't believe I did well enough to advance. However, it's not up to me. If I don't get my yellow belt, well, I know what I need to work on for next time. And if I do, I'm going to make sure I show our sabum nim that I deserve it! :)

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well... That sucked...

Actually, for the most part it went okay. My patterns were good (except that my first time through Saju Makgi, I was using a low forearm block instead of a low knifehand block). Knowledge went great (except for blanking on a definition for courtesy, of all things!). Three-step sparring 1 was excellent, 2... Not so much. And my self-defense...

Was a complete and utter cluster f... well, you know... I had to do my first technique 3 times because of my usual problem - I'm too nice. My second technique was worse, because I kept fusing the two together for some bizarre reason.

I don't believe I did well enough to advance. However, it's not up to me. If I don't get my yellow belt, well, I know what I need to work on for next time. And if I do, I'm going to make sure I show our sabum nim that I deserve it! :)

The test is over. You learned something from it. You and your teacher both know what needs to be worked on. Right now, the only one who is disappointed is you, which is totally normal. I was ashamed when I saw some mistakes in my orange belt tape that I still needed to work on from white belt. I laugh now when I think about. Part of your growth in any art will be putting emotion on the shelf.

I hope you get your belt, regardless, because you put in the time and stepped up and took the test. White or yellow, you probably need to work on things they started teaching you on the first day. If you don't, you'll work on them anyway and get a shot later.

When I got my yellow, what became apparent were significant gaps on the karate side of my training: poor stances, improperly loaded and executed punches. I passed and was told that I deserved to pass, but I had to make corrections before I could advance onto more technique that required these basics. So, I was held back from learning new stuff and instructed to focus on the above for three months. My feelings were slightly hurt, but spending that extra time only proved that I was serious, that I could improve, and my rank could not be misconstrued as a charitable act.

When you put in a number of years with the same school, as I have done, you really appreciate a teacher who made you do something again and again until it's right.

As long as you're critiquing yourself, getting feedback, and working to improve, it all comes out in the wash.

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Gordon. :)

Yeah, even though I do tend to beat myself up over my mistakes, I try to approach my TKD tests as learning experiences, pass or fail. In the end, even if I fail, what did I lose? 20 minutes of my time, which, given that I'm on night shifts right now, I would have just used sleeping. So, either way, I'm happy I chose to test.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Gordon. :)

Yeah, even though I do tend to beat myself up over my mistakes, I try to approach my TKD tests as learning experiences, pass or fail. In the end, even if I fail, what did I lose? 20 minutes of my time, which, given that I'm on night shifts right now, I would have just used sleeping. So, either way, I'm happy I chose to test.

I'm sure you did great. Teachers aren't looking for perfection. They are looking for dedication, and hard work. Noone is expecting you to perform every technique flawless at the beginner level. Don't sweat it, you did your best and that is all that I'm sure they are asking for. Congratulations on your new rank, I'm sure you'll be moving up.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That statement shows that you are dedicated...

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've got the right attitudr. You'll be working on those basics from now until forever...in my experience....it's never good enough.

that being said, It sounds like you've learned from the experience. I also think you probably did better than you think.

keep up the good training!

Peace,
Erik

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
How to describe class tonight...

Um...

Well...

:partyon::partyon:

Yes! Passed my test. Cocked up on my SD (like I expected), but I did way better in everything else than I thought I did.

Now, I start working my way to green stripe. :D

Thanks to all of you here who gave me encouragement while I was beating myself up.

Latest Discussions