So I'm off to a state tournament tomorrow

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm taking Chung Do Kwan TaeKwonDo at my school, and last semester, our mid-term was a regional tournament. I enter as a white belt, and got 1st place medals for Taeguek Il Chong, and point sparring. Not a lot of people, just 1st out of a few, but still did wonders for my confidence.

I'm a Green Belt now, as of 2 days ago, and I'll be heading to a state tourney tomorrow. I'm pretty excited, but also a little apprehensive. My Instructor has work, so he can't make it, and all of my class mates and going home for the summer. So, I'll be a fresh Green Belt at my first state tourney ever, completely by myself.

I know it'll make me stronger, and should prove a great growing experience and memory. Hopefully, I can medal if not win. My Instructor told me the only way I can fail is if I don't have fun, "Memories last a lifetime. Medals are cool too."

I'm excited, and if anyone is going to excited for/supportive of me, it'll be the folks here at martialtalk.

Hope to be on these boards for the foreseeable future.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope you do well! This will be an excellent learning experiance for you!
Have fun.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All my best to you Andrew. Welcome to MT.

Say hello to GM Sell for the rest of us:ultracool

OP
A

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
Say hello to GM Sell for the rest of us

Actually, that's a real blessing for me. The Sell Team teaches at a school approximately 3 miles from my house. My Instructor trains closely with them, so I am fortunate to have his knowledge.

I have had the opportunity to directly train with nearly everyone from the Sell Team. Sr. GM Sell gave me a piece of candy at the Regional Tourney actually. I was able to go to a training vintage training conference and participate in several classes lead by Sr. GM Sell, and his wife as well.

It blows my mind that by Chung Do Kwan standards, I live in one of the most knowledgeable/lethal areas on earth.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to a good forum, and good luck at the tournament. I hope you meet some of the good people who will be there--it's a good place to make new friends.

Carl

OP
A

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
1st place forms, 1st place sparring. =] Very happy!

Forms was myself, and two blue belts.

Point sparring was an exhibition match: I sparred a Gold belt, winning 7-5, although it should have been 7-4 at MOST.

I have pics and videos that I will be editing, and I will be sure to share them with you all!

Hyah!

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1st place forms, 1st place sparring. =] Very happy!

Forms was myself, and two blue belts.

Point sparring was an exhibition match: I sparred a Gold belt, winning 7-5, although it should have been 7-4 at MOST.

I have pics and videos that I will be editing, and I will be sure to share them with you all!

Hyah!

WOOT!!! Congrats!!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic! :partyon:

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats! Last week I attended a test at a Chung Do Kwan school in Maine, and enjoyed watching the forms. Nice to see young people enthusiastic and training hard. I'd just gotten my brown belt in Goju that week, and a little girl, a white belt with big eyes asked this old lady, 'Is it hard to get a brown belt in your school?' Really sweet. I told her, 'I don't know. What might be hard for me, might be easy for you!' ;)

Looking forward to the vids.

OP
A

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
Here's the form video! I just uploaded it, so it's processing, but I doubt anyone will click in before it finishes. If that happens just give it a little more time.

Sparring video to come!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
Here's the sparring video! I just uploaded it, so it's processing, but I doubt anyone will click in before it finishes. If that happens just give it a little more time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats to you. Job well done. Just a friendly lesson for today. The name of the form is Sam Jang (Meaning 3rd form or 3rd pattern).

OP
A

AndrewKFM

White Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to you. Job well done. Just a friendly lesson for today. The name of the form is Sam Jang (Meaning 3rd form or 3rd pattern).

Our Textbook says Som Chong. Som Chong might just be the pronunciation though . . .

I'll have to ask. Thanks!

Latest Discussions